VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 9th, 2010 #341
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSanguine View Post
20 plates and 10 courses? LoL
With 10 courses they better be very small plates. Either that or your trying to fatten me up. Like husky guys?

About all those plates, I actually got a chance to use them the other day. Neighbor had a small party for 12 and offered me some cash to cater it. Went very well. Thats a different post though.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old July 9th, 2010 #342
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Default First catered dinner for 12

Appetizers during cocktails:
Mini kabobs - toothpick sized with small pieces of chicken or beef, sweet peppers, mushrooms and pineapple each varied (this was a pain and will never happen again unless I have someone else doing it)

Bacon wrapped shrimp

cheese, cold cuts and bread plate

courses
1. Gazpacho (its summer)

2. Caesar salad with real Parmesan cheese, not that green can or pre-shredded trash.
Baguette with fresh garlic, mozzarella and prosciutto lightly toasted

3. Main course, all cooked on the grills (not the bread)

A. Bone in pork loin chops, soaked in wine, apple juice, rosemary, basil, garlic, shallot and onion BBQ'ed with hickory wood smoke for flavor

B. Baked tater + fixings

C. Corn on the cob

D. Zucchini coated with rosemary/basil/garlic infused oil and grilled

E. Garlic bread

A modest Chateau Ste Michelle Sauvignon blanc was served

4. Dessert
Cream puffs as seen on this thread. Plated with fresh slices of peach, strawberry, a few blueberries, a blueberry reduction, fresh caramel and dark chocolate.

All the herbs fresh from the garden, all sauces, soups and dressings fresh made by me. This was such a big hit with her friends some have already asked me to do the same for them.

Pictures may follow, the host took some but I dont know how they look. (I might have to pixel out a hand)

A personal critique:

I got side tracked a bit and overcooked the corn and veggies. Using a gas grill that I hadn't cooked on before and there were some hot spots.

Gazpacho and Caesar salad dont pair well, I should not have let myself be talked into it. They liked it, but I didnt think it worked, such different flavors.

A meal like this for 12 is pushing my time balancing capabilities as I was cooking and serving. Host bussed the tables.

Old July 25th, 2010 #343
SSanguine

Yum! It sounds pretty good though. How much did you get paid to do all of that cooking? It's hard doing it by yourself trying to keep everything at the correct presenting temperatures.

Old July 25th, 2010 #344
SSanguine

Fresh Baked Rainbow Trout and Cajun Green Beans

Clean and fillet the trout
Place fillets skin down on foil that has been coated with olive oil
Chop Chives, Parsley, and place on fish
Cut end off of lemon and squeeze lemon juice onto fish
Place used lemon end in between fish, loosely cover with foil, and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.
Use a tbspn of butter and press in fresh or canned breadcrumbs.
Press breadcrumb/butter mixture onto fish fillets and put under boiler on LOW until breadcrumbs are golden brown.

Cajun Green Bean

2tbspn of butter, Onion, 1 bag of frozen or fresh whole green beans, tomatoes, flour, cajun spices.

Start melting butter in pan, chop onion and add, cook until clear, add a couple tbspn of flour, stir stir stir, crush up some baby tomatoes or whole-whatever-, keep stirrrrrrring, and finally add green beans with a tbspn of water. Cover and let cook thoroughly for a few minutes, add spices.

A fast and Easy Dinner that is pretty healthy!

Old July 25th, 2010 #345
Thomas de Aynesworth
Banned

Where'd you catch the trout, SSanguine? I tried to fish for them on Cardiff Lake in the Kawartha's last weekend, but we were interrupted by another cottager for several hours.

Old July 25th, 2010 #346
SSanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ainsworth View Post
Where'd you catch the trout, SSanguine? I tried to fish for them on Cardiff Lake in the Kawartha's last weekend, but we were interrupted by another cottager for several hours.
Well, I wasn't the one who caught it, just prepared it There are many streams in Missouri that you can go trout fishing.

Old July 25th, 2010 #347
Thomas de Aynesworth
Banned

I see. I've never caught a rainbow before, only a lake trout. I did catch 2 bass on the weekend, one 1 pound and the other 3/4 pound. I should have kept them for a small fish fry but didn't. Oh well, I have a few fishing trips planned if all works out well.

Old November 24th, 2010 #348
SSanguine

Wow, almost 18,800 views on this thread since I started it ...many many many moons ago....

I hope that during the Holiday season some of you feel inclined to share with us your new recipes, ideas, and photographs of what you have created for you family get-togethers....

I'm going to be trying a new cranberry sauce with a Zinfandel/grape twist and an Oyster stuffing for my bird....

Does anyone have an opinion on Oyster stuffing, it's going to be my first year using this stuffing for my family dinner, but I've had it in the past at other people's dinners and loved it!

Any good ole family recipes anyone wants to share?!?!?????

Old November 24th, 2010 #349
Darius Appleby
Banned

Location: high rainfall coastal strip of the White Continent nation
Arrow Christmas Food in Australia

We don't have a "holiday season" or "The Holidays" in Australia.

We do however have Christmas or the Christmas Break.

But then we don't have nearly as many jews and muslims to worry about.

We look forward to a Christmas ham, served cold because it is the middle of Summer here, and Christmas Day can be over 30 degress Celcius in most of Australia.

You can also bake the ham with pineapple in an outdoor covered BBQ, and beef cooked this way with a mustard glaze is good too. Some people have a baked turkey and vegetables cooked in the oven, the only time turkey is traditionally served during the year.

Prawns and seafood are also a great Christmas treat, again served cold in their shells and washed down with cold beer. Prawns on wooden skewers are good on the BBQ too.

Cold fresh vegetable salads of all sorts are on the table too, prepared that morning, and kept in the fridge until lunchtime.

Beer is kept cold in cans and bottles in ice filled eskys, and sparkling white wine is enjoyed also.

All the extended family, 20 to 30 people have arrived by noon when lunch starts, and will stay for dinner at around 6 or 7, leaving around 9 or 10PM.

Desert will be pavlova with fresh cream and fruits and ice-cream, and there might be some room for some plum pudding and custard.

Probably different to what you are expecting in the Northern Hemisphere, but I have never had Christmas in the Winter. Some people enjoy "Christmas in July" where the cooler weather is more suited to hot turkey and vegetables.

Old November 24th, 2010 #350
Alex Linder
Administrator

QUICK CHICK

defrost whole chicken. cut out backbone (not super easy, use boning knife or shears). flip and smash flat (smash the breasts down to flatten it out). smear with oil (olive or other). salt liberally, both sides. rosemary liberally, both sides. slap on cooking tray, breast side up. bake at 400 to 450 (not 350). will cook much quicker due to higher temp and lesser thickness. check at 45 minutes, leave in longer if you like. you will come out with a very tasty flat whole chicken, which can very easily be cut right down the middle, leaving two very tasty full meals.

Old November 24th, 2010 #351
George Witzgall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Appleby View Post

We look forward to a Christmas ham, served cold because it is the middle of Summer here, and Christmas Day can be over 30 degress Celcius in most of Australia.

You can also bake the ham with pineapple in an outdoor covered BBQ, and beef cooked this way with a mustard glaze is good too. Some people have a baked turkey and vegetables cooked in the oven, the only time turkey is traditionally served during the year.

Prawns and seafood are also a great Christmas treat, again served cold in their shells and washed down with cold beer. Prawns on wooden skewers are good on the BBQ too.

Cold fresh vegetable salads of all sorts are on the table too, prepared that morning, and kept in the fridge until lunchtime.

Beer is kept cold in cans and bottles in ice filled eskys, and sparkling white wine is enjoyed also.

All the extended family, 20 to 30 people have arrived by noon when lunch starts, and will stay for dinner at around 6 or 7, leaving around 9 or 10PM.

Desert will be pavlova with fresh cream and fruits and ice-cream, and there might be some room for some plum pudding and custard.

Probably different to what you are expecting in the Northern Hemisphere, but I have never had Christmas in the Winter. Some people enjoy "Christmas in July" where the cooler weather is more suited to hot turkey and vegetables.
Yeah, December is Summer for you, and "Christmas in July" is the normal Winter Christmas. Weird weird weird.

Old November 24th, 2010 #352
SSanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Appleby View Post

Sounds delicious!

When I refer to the Holiday Season here, I'm talking about the start of our winter and festive season with our Thanksgiving(which you don't have), Christmas, and end it with the New Year.

Thanksgiving is usually a gigantic meal with lots of friends and family. A turkey stuffed with oyster dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, pecan and pumpkin pies, etc., etc., etc.....

My sister's boyfriend is from New Zealand .... He's still trying to get used to the different kind of culture we have here, and can't get over how many nigs.

The grocery stores will be packed today... I dread going, but I must.

Old November 24th, 2010 #353
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

I bet your X-mas is a lot like our Memorial Day. It kind of kicks off the Summer season.

Old November 27th, 2010 #354
William Hyde
Someday Never Comes

Thumbs up

Sweetie pie didn't catch anything good earlier - so I'm just gonna stay in tonight and eat beaver.

Old December 5th, 2010 #355
William Hyde
Someday Never Comes

Thumbs up

Well, culinary wise it was an average to good week at the Hyde household - then came the weekend ... I fasted for 24 hrs and then "The Smorgasbord" .. I ate: fried white tail deer venison, Vension chili, Venison carne guisada, grilled wild turkey breast, stewed wild Javelina hog, roasted antelope, potato salad & pinto beans w/ home brewed Iced tea! Oo0ooh yeaah !

Old February 7th, 2011 #356
Swede
morsning korsning

I did semlor today.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=b87jvn&s=7

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=a3o6s6&s=7

Old February 9th, 2011 #357
Swede
morsning korsning

I make Marmalade with orange & lemon.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28i214k&s=7

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2eclsuc&s=7

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21oo6l5&s=7

Old February 11th, 2011 #358
Swede
morsning korsning

Making some comfort food when it's cold outside. Filestew with pepper sauce.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mywabs&s=7

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=214nz39&s=7

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ldkac1&s=7

Old March 13th, 2011 #359
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Great burger recipe

Got this recipe from Gordon Ramsey.

It's very simple, and it made a truly remarkable, juicy burger.

In a large mixing bowl, place 1 pound of ground chuck (80/20). I always used ground sirloin for my hamburgers before, but apparently the 80/20 ground chuck is the best grade to use for burgers, as the extra fat keeps the burger from drying out.

1 Bermuda (red) onion, roughly chopped. 2 egg yolks.

Mix in the following ingredients to taste, we didn't really measure, just a good dollop of each:

A1 steak sauce
Dijon mustard
Worcestershire sauce
Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper

Made 4 large burgers, grilled them on the hibachi on the porch yesterday afternoon.

I used toasted Kaiser rolls as a bun.

Highly recommended. Just an awesome tasting hamburger that takes only a few minutes to prep.

Old March 13th, 2011 #360
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Theres all kinds of things you can add into a burger. I add cheese, hot peppers, crumbled bacon left over from breakfast, garlic... list goes on forever once you use some imagination.

Kaiser rolls for burgers kick ass. Only need to buy as many as you need and they are better tasting anyways.

Love Ramsay though. Seems like a no shit kinda guy.

Tags
#1, cooking, food, recipe

Thread