Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 9th, 2013 #1
H.B.

Question What is the best mattress to own?

This is kind of an unusual topic and I was not sure to which forum it belongs.

I have an old king sized box spring that I am getting ready to replace.

A good night's sleep is extremely important to me as it is mission critical to my performance and ability to make a living. That being said, I am willing to lay out a lot for a good mattress. I have been looking in the range of $1200 to $3600 list. Since much margin is built into these, actual price usually be negotiated to less than $1-3K - possibly a lot less if you buy other things with it and beat the sales rep up a little.

It defeats the purpose if I wake up with a sore back or neck from it being too soft - or that I sleep through the alarm clock - or that I have trouble sleeping because it is too hard. Some say "hard" is better for your back; some say it does not make a difference. I am leaning towards something with "memory foam" but undecided. Well, if it's a couple thousand dollars of difference in range, it's important to know which is best - particularly if that can impact your ability to be alert and energetic during the day.

What are is the general consensus on this?

Last edited by H.B.; May 10th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

Old May 9th, 2013 #2
Brooklyn Rick

Serta perfect sleeper. I love 'em. Just remember to flip it around once in a while.

Old May 10th, 2013 #3
Rick Ronsavelle

Old May 10th, 2013 #4
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ronsavelle View Post
Available at Lowes.

Old May 10th, 2013 #5
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Sleep on the floor. I'm not joking. If you've got wall-to-wall carpeting, keep it clean and sleep on it. Maybe a back-packer mat with small sheets...doesn't matter, you can figure something out that's comfortable and easy to clean. I've been doing this since about 1984. I was making about $100,000 a year and still slept on the floor. Why not. I was a fanatic backpacker and slept on the ground when I was in the mountains. Even my wife at that time did it. She made more money than I did. We tried it when her parents came for a week visit and after a few nights found it more comfortable than any bed and mattress. It's good for your back, too.

Anyone who would spend more than $100 bucks for any item of furniture, isn't thinking. You are just feeding the jew. A couch that costs $3000 probably has $11 of materials in it, was built by $2.00 a day slave labor in Indonesia, and sold by minimum wage, no health care, no benefits, working poor, at the whatever-mart.

Mike

Old May 10th, 2013 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

lot of discussion here. Tempurpedic is the best i've slept on

http://galleyslaves.blogspot.com/200...mpurpedic.html

Old May 12th, 2013 #7
H.B.

iComfort® Prodigy Ultra-Plush Memory Foam King Mattress Set

http://www.raymourflanigan.com/icomf...493021011.aspx

Old May 12th, 2013 #8
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
Sleep on the floor. I'm not joking. If you've got wall-to-wall carpeting, keep it clean and sleep on it. Maybe a back-packer mat with small sheets...doesn't matter, you can figure something out that's comfortable and easy to clean. I've been doing this since about 1984. I was making about $100,000 a year and still slept on the floor. Why not. I was a fanatic backpacker and slept on the ground when I was in the mountains. Even my wife at that time did it. She made more money than I did. We tried it when her parents came for a week visit and after a few nights found it more comfortable than any bed and mattress. It's good for your back, too.

Anyone who would spend more than $100 bucks for any item of furniture, isn't thinking. You are just feeding the jew. A couch that costs $3000 probably has $11 of materials in it, was built by $2.00 a day slave labor in Indonesia, and sold by minimum wage, no health care, no benefits, working poor, at the whatever-mart.

Mike

I think your crazy, but I like your style

Old May 13th, 2013 #9
JENNIFER_SUSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
Sleep on the floor. I'm not joking. If you've got wall-to-wall carpeting, keep it clean and sleep on it. Maybe a back-packer mat with small sheets...doesn't matter, you can figure something out that's comfortable and easy to clean. I've been doing this since about 1984. I was making about $100,000 a year and still slept on the floor. Why not. I was a fanatic backpacker and slept on the ground when I was in the mountains. Even my wife at that time did it. She made more money than I did. We tried it when her parents came for a week visit and after a few nights found it more comfortable than any air bed and mattress. It's good for your back, too.

Mike
Thank you. You are right. I salute you & your thinking.

Old May 13th, 2013 #10
MikeQuigley
Banned

I have a really bad back and no matter if it's soft, medium, firm, or floor, getting up in the morning is ridiculous. I'm doomed........

Old May 14th, 2013 #11
M. Gerard

I know nothing about this, but ... flame retardants in mattresses are a concern for cat owners, maybe people:

Old May 24th, 2013 #12
Stronza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
lot of discussion here. Tempurpedic is the best i've slept on

http://galleyslaves.blogspot.com/200...mpurpedic.html
Hope you like their ad, too!

Thread