VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 4th, 2008 #41
Karl Lueger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odell View Post
My Ol' man studies what is called Systema.
That may be the best suggestion so far, I have not trained in it yet...
gotta go Ruski when it come to fighting, different styles will inevitably be better or worse for an individual, like a persons talent in a particular sport, although this is obviously not a game.

Rambo, John J.

Old June 4th, 2008 #42
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commoner View Post
Does anyone know of a good fighting system/martial art for a beginner with no martial arts experience? Something appropriate for everyday, all around self defense. There are many to choose from out there, so maybe someone with experience could recommend one. Thanks.

I train in Sayoc Kali and Modern Arnis.

(My prior background is in Aikido, which is pretty much 100% completely different.)

Old June 5th, 2008 #43
banjo_billy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelWithACause View Post
I train in Sayoc Kali and Modern Arnis.
Two very bad-ass styles. Lucky fellow, to have teachers in your area with this knowledge.

Old June 5th, 2008 #44
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo_billy View Post
Two very bad-ass styles. Lucky fellow, to have teachers in your area with this knowledge.
It only became available in my area within the last 5 years. This area has a few very talented instructors amidst the MANY fly-by-night 'mma schools' and 'karate for kids' warehouses.

Old June 5th, 2008 #45
Akingu
Banned

14!

You know, what it basically comes down to, is do what is personally comfortable.
How does one discover that? Well, I'm going to say study as many styles and concepts that you can and then you pretty much make your own style. Like Bruce Lee and his JKD. Using no way as way. If a certain move looks cool to you, try it. If it works, VERY cool, if not, practice it and see how it works over time. If effective use it, if not, discard it.
Ninpo is alot like that; having no katas, no hyung or whatever. It's all mental and physical.
No matter what style or concept we practice, it comes down to speed, will power and determination.
I have found through pertsonal experience, it's not the experince of the fighters, but speed that is the deciding factor in a fight. Two fighters of equal experiance can fight but the faster one will win.

A88

Old June 5th, 2008 #46
banjo_billy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akingu88 View Post
14!

You know, what it basically comes down to, is do what is personally comfortable.
How does one discover that? Well, I'm going to say study as many styles and concepts that you can and then you pretty much make your own style. Like Bruce Lee and his JKD. Using no way as way. If a certain move looks cool to you, try it. If it works, VERY cool, if not, practice it and see how it works over time. If effective use it, if not, discard it.
Ninpo is alot like that; having no katas, no hyung or whatever. It's all mental and physical.
No matter what style or concept we practice, it comes down to speed, will power and determination.
I have found through pertsonal experience, it's not the experince of the fighters, but speed that is the deciding factor in a fight. Two fighters of equal experiance can fight but the faster one will win.

A88
Lots of styles and methods. Speed is very useful but sometimes slowness is more useful. There are lots of methods, which is one reason martial arts are so facinating ... unending knowledge, no one knows it all and there is always something more to learn.

Old June 5th, 2008 #47
Richard H.
Banned

I practice 2 styles as well
1. firearms international .25 auto
2. S&W 9mm

they have served me very well over the years and they are VERY fast; as a matter of fact, nobody has ever been able to block my techniques

Old June 5th, 2008 #48
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
2. S&W 9mm

they have served me very well over the years and they are VERY fast; as a matter of fact, nobody has ever been able to block my techniques
Yes we get it, you don’t know how to fight, you said so on page 1.

Old June 6th, 2008 #49
Akingu
Banned

14!

Nothing personal Richard, but why don't you post in the 'guns' section of this forum since you aren't interested in posting about martial arts?
Thanks in advance!

RR!

A88

Quote:
2. S&W 9mm

Old June 6th, 2008 #50
Richard H.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akingu88 View Post
14!

Nothing personal Richard, but why don't you post in the 'guns' section of this forum since you aren't interested in posting about martial arts?
Thanks in advance!

RR!

A88
yeah, I get it cillian ;aking you don't have a sense of humor, and yeah; I DO know how to fight; I didn't get this old by not knowing how. have you ever heard of Pat Burleson? he had a dojo in oak cliff on Jefferson st. in the 60's.

Old June 6th, 2008 #51
cillian

Quote:
have you ever heard of Pat Burleson? he had a dojo in oak cliff on Jefferson st. in the 60's.
What about him?

Old June 6th, 2008 #52
Richard H.
Banned

I studied under pat Burleson for 2 yrs in '65' to '67'

Old June 6th, 2008 #53
cillian

Quote:
I studied under pat Burleson for 2 yrs in '65' to '67'
So then, you do realise there are times when knowing how to use an empty hand as a weapon is advantageous.
What did you think of American karate? Would you recommend it?

Old June 6th, 2008 #54
Richard H.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillian View Post
So then, you do realise there are times when knowing how to use an empty hand as a weapon is advantageous.
What did you think of American karate? Would you recommend it?
actually; I'm thinking more along the lines of MMA; if you think about it, 95% of fights end up on the ground anyway, but yeah; empty hand techniques are good. All the years since I studied there has been an on-going evolution in the fighting arts, this is a given.

Old June 6th, 2008 #55
cillian

Quote:
actually; I'm thinking more along the lines of MMA; if you think about it, 95% of fights end up on the ground anyway, but yeah; empty hand techniques are good. All the years since I studied there has been an on-going evolution in the fighting arts, this is a given.
Thats what i liked about ninjitsu, its basically a mix of karate and jujitsu, with a lot of nasty stuff thrown in. Eye gouges, ripping off ears, neck breaking, back breaking moves.

Old June 12th, 2008 #56
WIGANMIKE

Ok the best martial art out there, and its proven, is MMA, but if you wanna learn something quick and simple, but cheap and effective, I personally would ssuggest BOXING, and JUDO, or WRESTLING, with in 2 months your boxing skills will give you a harder punch..

MMA is better but may take time to get the hang of it, as there's loads of martial arts thrown in there for the best effect..

I would not suggest to do KARATE, TKD, KUNG FU, or NINJITSU..

eSPECIALLY FOR QUICK RESSULTS..

Thai Boxing is another, what is good, but BOXING, or BOXING and a grappling art, depending on your time, and money..

Old June 12th, 2008 #57
Odell

Lightbulb The Anatomy...

I was talking with my Ol' man about which form of fighting he thought was better he said
that the form of fighting that you choose to learn is not as important as having
'Knowledge of the Anatomy'.

A highly skilled fighter can be defeated by
a less skilled fighter that knows the human anatomy.

For example he taught me that if I was attacked from behind with a choke hold that,
I should fall to the ground reach over my head with my arms which
in turn will trap his arms that are around my neck then
I take my thumbs and ram them as hard as I can into his eye(s).

I must say it is very affective in getting them to release the hold.

Old June 12th, 2008 #58
WIGANMIKE

Quote:
I was talking with my Ol' man about which form of fighting he thought was better he said
that the form of fighting that you choose to learn is not as important as having
'Knowledge of the Anatomy'.

A highly skilled fighter can be defeated by
a less skilled fighter that knows the human anatomy.

For example he taught me that if I was attacked from behind with a choke hold that,
I should fall to the ground reach over my head with my arms which
in turn will trap his arms that are around my neck then
I take my thumbs and ram them as hard as I can into his eye(s).

I must say it is very affective in getting them to release the hold.

That could work but is easier said than done, for example, providing I had a proper rear naked choke on you in the first place, you would not get out of it, you would have about 7 secs to get out of it, and 4secs of that would be you trying to fall to the ground, of course if I haven't got it on proper, then yeah your right....

Old June 12th, 2008 #59
Odell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGANMIKE View Post
That could work but is easier said than done, for example, providing I had a proper rear naked choke on you in the first place, you would not get out of it, you would have about 7 secs to get out of it, and 4secs of that would be you trying to fall to the ground, of course if I haven't got it on proper, then yeah your right....

Ok if you say so but we train regularly with other men and woman and it is very affective.
If you where to large for me to bring you to the ground then I would have to reach back
with one hand and grab the back of your head/neck area to lift myself and then use the
other hand to gouge out your eye.

As well I could reach back with one hand grab a hold of your groin area and squeeze away.

We are talking about street fighting right?
Remember the street has no rules and regulations.

Old June 12th, 2008 #60
cillian

Quote:
Ok if you say so but we train regularly with other men and woman and it is very affective.
If you where to large for me to bring you to the ground then I would have to reach back
with one hand and grab the back of your head/neck area to lift myself and then use the
other hand to gouge out your eye.

As well I could reach back with one hand grab a hold of your groin area and squeeze away.

We are talking about street fighting right?
Remember the street has no rules and regulations.

I agree, thats how its done, go for the kill do as much damage as posable with the least effort, and be 100 times more mean than your emeny.

Thread