Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 9th, 2014 #61
Ann2
Marie Antoinette

This is the definition I got for each:

In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice.
In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).
In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup or a jam.

Old August 9th, 2014 #62
Ann2
Marie Antoinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
I always thought that what you all call "jelly" is what we call "jello": sweet gelatin dessert. Yes?
I think they call gelatin, jelly. Isn't jello a brand name? I'm not sure.

Old August 9th, 2014 #63
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
I think they call gelatin, jelly. Isn't jello a brand name? I'm not sure.
Yes, Jello is a brand, usually said as a catch-all for "gelatin" by Americans, like most say "Kleenex" instead of "tissues".

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old August 10th, 2014 #64
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian View Post
Celery

Giblets

Bone marrow

Sushi

Sashimi
Bone marrow is the most delicious obtainable from an animal. I'd almost keep it and discard the rest of the carcass.
Why don't you simply tell us what foods you like? It seems that list would be much shorter than the one listing what's distasteful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
...Ha - Smoked is the only type I don't like!...
"Smoked" foodstuffs are often just ordinary foodstuffs which have been injected (in the case of meat) with smoke-aromatized fluids or have been sprayed or soaked with/in similar. Our local ALDI sells a 1 kilogram (dry weight) can of cheese of which you can grill over coals. I find such very delicious and recommend you try it before making your final judgement public. I couldn't find the original product. The following is similar. ALDI simply had it copied and has it procesed in Germany:

Old August 10th, 2014 #65
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Thinly sliced & fried golden with a little mayonnaise & pepper added makes a fantastic sandwich; in it's pink right-out-of-the-can state, forget it.

I was put off it by being served it deep-fried in batter with mashed potatoes and baked beans as a school dinner. It was almost the nastiest thing I've ever tasted.

I should give it another go. I must admit your description does sound tempting.

Quote:
I always thought that what you all call "jelly" is what we call "jello": sweet gelatin dessert. Yes?

Yes - usually used in trifles, which is why I always laugh at the thought of it being spread onto bread for a PB and J sandwich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
This is the definition I got for each:

In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice.
In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).
In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup or a jam.
Oh, I see. So your jelly is more like a very smooth fruit spread, with no chunks of fruit like jam? I think we have the same, only we call ours "cheap jam" and "brand name jam".

Old August 10th, 2014 #66
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
Bone marrow is the most delicious obtainable from an animal. I'd almost keep it and discard the rest of the carcass.
Bone marrow soup is delicious. No, really, it is. And it's cheap as hell to make, too, especially if you know a butcher. Beef and pork bone soup is just brilliant stuff. One of the advantages of a not-especially prosperous childhood in a hot climate: you learn about things like these.

Quote:
Yes - usually used in trifles, which is why I always laugh at the thought of it being spread onto bread for a PB and J sandwich!
The jingle for 'Aeroplane Jelly' is seared onto my brain for life. Even if I develop Alzheimer's in later years, I will go to my senile death drooling on myself and singing that ridiculous song.

Quote:
I have no idea what the American name for it is but it's two round sponge cakes sandwiched together, sometimes with fresh fruit but usually with jam (oh, all right. Jelly.) and whipped cream in the middle.
What - sponge cake?

Old August 10th, 2014 #67
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
Giblets

I don't like giblets by themselves, but roasted with eggs and almonds, they are a delicious stuffing for roasted fowl, pork ...

Old August 10th, 2014 #68
Squarehead Chris

Quote:
Thinly sliced & fried golden with a little mayonnaise & pepper added makes a fantastic sandwich; in it's pink right-out-of-the-can state, forget it.
I can take or leave Spam.
But when I lived in Hawaii, I couldn't believe how much the local "Hawaiians" (buncha fat mexicans stuck on some islands in the middle of nowhere) loved the stuff.
They eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Old August 10th, 2014 #69
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
I was put off it by being served it deep-fried in batter with mashed potatoes and baked beans as a school dinner. It was almost the nastiest thing I've ever tasted.
Your lunch lady should've been "banged-up"......

Quote:
I should give it another go. I must admit your description does sound tempting.
Yes, do give one more chance. I think you'll enjoy it - just remember: THINLY sliced.

Quote:
The horror....the HORROR.....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old August 27th, 2014 #70
Joe_Smith

A foody aficionado friend of mine took me to eat at a fancy, bourgeois trendy place (I would've preferred 5 Guys burger, but he insisted on going to this shitty joint). He made me get some sandwich type of thing with beef and mushrooms and something I never heard of before called Arugula. Disgusting. The taste was awful and what was most annoying is that it overpowered everything else in the sandwich.

I'm convinced people who claim to like the heinous arugula just do it to seem refined and classy.

Old August 28th, 2014 #71
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Smith View Post
A foody aficionado friend of mine took me to eat at a fancy, bourgeois trendy place (I would've preferred 5 Guys burger, but he insisted on going to this shitty joint). He made me get some sandwich type of thing with beef and mushrooms and something I never heard of before called Arugula. Disgusting. The taste was awful and what was most annoying is that it overpowered everything else in the sandwich.

I'm convinced people who claim to like the heinous arugula just do it to seem refined and classy.
5 Guys any good? They've got one in Staunton I've never tried.

Old August 28th, 2014 #72
Zander

I hate any cheese that isn't a smoked cheddar, Kidney beans..just wrong...tinned tomato's..blerk. Apart from that....chuck it in the pot and cook away!!

Thread