Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 5th, 2003 #21
Blondie

I limpwrist/jam Glocks all the time, they just don't fit my hand at all. But Berreta 92.......oh it's nice. I'm real accurate with that one and they never seem to jam on me.

I downsized from my carry SP101 .357 to a little tiny Smith airweight in .38. I figure if it's light and easy to carry, I'm gonna carry it more often. I love it and wear it with an inside-the-pants holster that just clips on inside my waist band. It's pretty concealable and a nice size and weight for all the time use, for a woman. I only had to pull it once when some lunatic was beating on my door in the middle of the night. He looked in the window at me and saw it, and he ran like hell. I called the cops on the guy and they said I did the right thing to pull out the gun, call the cops and sit tight.

Old December 5th, 2003 #22
no_nomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie
I limpwrist/jam Glocks all the time, they just don't fit my hand at all.
But Berreta 92.......oh it's nice. I downsized from my carry SP101
.357 to a little tiny Smith airweight in .38. I figure if it's light and
easy to carry, I'm gonna carry it more often.
Hi there Blondie!

That all makes very good sence for you. The pistol you carry with you ALL the time always beats out the one you left at home.

I never had a Glock failure to fire ... I must not be limp-wristing them right...

That Airweight is a real jewel! Carry that 92 often? ;'>)))

Last edited by no_nomen; December 5th, 2003 at 01:15 AM.

Old December 5th, 2003 #23
Franco

The best [modern] shotgun ever made is an Ithaca pump. Get a used police model, and you are set. You can get a police trade-in, not worn-out at all, for about $200 in Shotgun News, or at a gun show. Look around.

Take a dental mirror and a small flashlight/borelight combo with you when you buy one, to check for rust, and you are all set. You should do that always when buying a used gun.

Old December 5th, 2003 #24
Blondie

Of course you can't wimpwrist right, you're not a woman!

Naaaa, I don't carry a B. 92, it would be way too big. I only shoot friends ones when I get a chance. It's always a big treat to shoot all different kinds of guns.I have to admit the Desert Eagle in .44 (I think it was), was a pretty BIG GUN, but even that was good experience. You can never get enough practice, and it's always good to know how to shoot any kind of firearm, even for a woman.

Old December 5th, 2003 #25
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
The best [modern] shotgun ever made is an Ithaca pump. Get a used police model, and you are set. You can get a police trade-in, not worn-out at all, for about $200 in Shotgun News, or at a gun show. Look around.

Take a dental mirror and a small flashlight/borelight combo with you when you buy one, to check for rust, and you are all set. You should do that always when buying a used gun.
Hey Franco, don't think iv'e ever heard of the Ithaca pump shotgun. Can you elaborate on what makes it the best?

Blondie, Glocks jamming??? Thats the first I have ever heard of that! I fired 1000's of rounds with my Glock with nary a problem...friends also. A buddy of mine with some shekels to spare beat the hell out of his Glock. Fired some 5000 rounds thru it, never cleaned it, beat on it, drove his jeep over it and it still fired like it was new. He even read on some Glock site that it would fire under water. He tried it and lo and behold, it does! I probably sound like some Glock salesman but i'm not. Glocks the best gun made...a little pricey but well worth the money. You just can't beat German engineering!

Old December 5th, 2003 #26
no_nomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie
Of course you can't wimpwrist right, you're not a woman!
You can never get enough practice, and it's always good
to know how to shoot any kind of firearm, even for a woman.
A.H.! Blondie,

You would be supprised how many males I have seen linp-wristing!
Maybe you wouldn't. ;>)) You can never get enough practice.

Recoil ? What's that ?...
I can't wait to try out s&w .500 magnum you see in the below attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sw.500.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	32   Click image for larger version

Name:	sw500mag-440gr.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	33  

Old December 5th, 2003 #27
no_nomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B
Fired some 5000 rounds thru it, never cleaned it, beat on it,
drove his jeep over it and it still fired like it was new. He even
read on some Glock site that it would fire under water. He tried
it and lo and behold, it does! Glocks the best gun made...a little
pricey but well worth the money.
You just can't beat German engineering!
Welcome to the "DarkSide"!
Yep! Made to function under the worst contidions!
I believe installation of "marine Cups" are recomended
before underwater firing. Spec Opps application.

Austrian I do think. Hey wasn't Uncle Wolf Austrian? ...

Old December 5th, 2003 #28
Steve B
Banned

Geeze No_Nomen...what ya gonna do with that? Kill humpback whales?

LOL!

Old December 5th, 2003 #29
no_nomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B
Geeze No_Nomen...what ya gonna do with that?
Kill humpback whales?
LOL!
HeHeHe! I just love what other Folks call "recoil".
A glutton for punishment I am. HaHaHa!
I don't think I'll buy one, just borrow one for a few rounds.

Old December 5th, 2003 #30
MadScienceType

Well, limp-wristing will jam anything if you don't grip well enough to give the gun something to cycle against.

Anyway, like I said, just a personal preference as far as Glocks go. I don't get into the flame wars of Glocks v. Everything Else like some do. They're good guns, they just don't suit me. Yeah, steel-framed 1911s can be weighty, but a good aluminum-framed 1911 can be nice for carry, though I do worry about the fatigue life of aluminum v. steel. Practice with the heavy, carry the light! The rate-of-fire thing may have to do with recoil spring strength. The 1911 usually comes with a pretty stout spring in it, which slows cycling, but Wolff springs can get you a lighter replacement if it's a concern. Another nice piece is the H&K USP, though you're starting to talk more $$$ here. I have a Compact USP in .45 and I loooove it. Light, since it has the polymer frame/steel slide assy. and it will also eat anything, just like a Glock and has a nice trigger (single action, that is. The DA trigger sucks). Accurate as all get-out and it has nice sights as well as more conventional controls that I'm used to. You don't need tools to strip this baby either. I quit carrying it in favor of the 1911 simply because the double-stack frame is less comfortable to conceal than the thin, single-stack 1911. USP mags are a lot more than the Glocks though, and there's no (legal) 10+ caps on the market (that I know of).

Quote:
The best [modern] shotgun ever made is an Ithaca pump.
Duh! I forgot about Ithicas! They're also an excellent choice, though I've never owned one, just shot a few. One thing to remember about shotguns is that no matter how "boss" it may look, resist with all your will the urge to ditch the standard stock in favor of just a pistol grip. You'll be nowhere near as accurate w/o a shouldered gun and the recoil with anything other than light loads will be hell. Saw a guy at the range one time pull his new pistol-gripped Mossberg 500 out of the box and start to fire 3" Magnum 00 buckshot loads out of it. I just grinned 'cause I knew what was coming. He left after three shots, holding his wrist, with a nice weal on his head where the gun jumped out of his off hand and smacked him in the face. If you're worried about the full-length gun being unwieldy in close quarters, unless you live in an efficiency apt. this concern is more theoretical than real. The standard 18" cylinder-bore gun is pretty handy, even with the stock. If you still must have a shorter weapon of some sort, get a folding stock for your pump gun, since there's nothing illegal about a folder on a pump-action gun, as there would be for a semi-auto (don't get me started on the "assault weapon" crap). Though it looks cool and won't rust, I don't think stainless is a necessary expense unless you plan on living near or on the ocean. Stainless is also more reflective too, though that's in danger of me getting bogged down in theoretical tactical details.

Glad to see women here take an active interest in armed self-defense. Blondie, you're a credit to womankind!

Oh, one last thing about ammo, specifically Wolf. It is decent ammo, but make sure to get the fully copper-jacketed rounds. Wolf makes other ammo that's called bi-metal, which means the jacket has steel in it, and that's not good for your barrel long term. The bi-metal stuff's about $5 a case cheaper ('cause steel's cheaper than copper) but it's worth the money to get copper-only jackets. Also, consider if the "fun" starts, you'll want to have the best hunting ammo you can. The FMJ round is good for practice, but why not have some soft-points in reserve? The military's bound to use FMJs, but you ain't!

Old December 5th, 2003 #31
Blondie

no_nomen, that's a BIG gun you posted in the pic. I don't even know if I could lift it up, much less shoot it (haha). I guess you won't be using that for carry, right?

Speaking of double stack mags, I think the B. 92 comes with an optional double stack now, staring maybe a year or two ago. It's true about the difference in bulk, though.

Old December 5th, 2003 #32
Granddragon36

Go with what YOU feel is best. If you like revolvers, go with a revolver. Personally, if I "couldn't" afford (hey, you know what your life is worth) a good .45 ACP (either revolver or auto) I would get a good used .357 and shoot .38 Specials in it, but if I couldn't get .38s, I'd still be able to shot .357s.

9mm vs. .45 ACP. Well no compares themselves to the loser, so why do you think it is always "X vs. .45"? You never see "9mm vs. .25 ACP" do you? You never here boxers going "so and so vs. Pee Wee Herman" do you? It's always "X vs. Geo. Foreman". As long as we are saddled with 10 round mags, you got 10 rounds either way. In REAL LIFE shooting, the .45 FMJ is about like the 9mm soft/hollow point, but the .45 soft/hollow points both make a bigger hole going in and coming out than do the 9mm wonder bullets. Same with the pre-fragged bullets, sure they make the 9mm a good stopper, but the .45 is STILL making a bigger hole, packing more "punch", making a bigger mess, so on and so forth.

Now if size/concealablity/weight is the problem, go small 9mm if you want. Sure it is easier to carry and in real world fights 2-3 9mms do the work of one .45 (amazing how no one waits around to get shot a second or third time), but the pointed stick you have with you beats the rocket launcher at home.

Old December 5th, 2003 #33
no_nomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScienceType
I don't get into the flame wars of Glocks v. Everything Else like some do.!
I thought the 'flame wars' were "Everything Else vs. Glock"... ;~))

For anyone looking for a thin, small, very light weight .45 that has far less
perceived recoil than an alloy frame 1911 consider the Glock 36. You can wear
this all day and hardly realise it's there! Find one at a range that will rent it to
you and see if you like it. A couple of extra 6rnd mags in your pocket should
make you feel very comfortable. ;>)) Be sure and save up a few $ and get
Tritium Night Sight installed. Most evil things come out after dark...

btw: If you prefer the feel of rubber grips a good thing to do is look in the
trash behind a bycycle store and get some innertubes the're always throwing
out.Cut into 2"+/- strips, turn 'em inside out and slip on 36 grip. Wonderful!!!
and one innertube will make enough grips for years... for free.

"The new „slim-line" GLOCK 36 with it's 6 rounds magazine
became the first choice for a .45 concealated carry weapon."

Length (slide) 6.77 in.
Height 4.76 in. 121 mm
Width 1.13 in 28.5 mm.
Barrel length 3.78 in. 96 mm
Magazine capacity 6

Mass (weight) Empty without magazine 20.11 oz.

http://www.glock.com/home.htm
http://www.glock.com/_45.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36a.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	41  

Last edited by no_nomen; December 5th, 2003 at 11:56 PM.

Old December 6th, 2003 #34
SMG3000
Wants Closer Ties to Iran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScienceType
Well, limp-wristing will jam anything if you don't grip well enough to give the gun something to cycle against.

Anyway, like I said, just a personal preference as far as Glocks go. I don't get into the flame wars of Glocks v. Everything Else like some do. They're good guns, they just don't suit me. Yeah, steel-framed 1911s can be weighty, but a good aluminum-framed 1911 can be nice for carry, though I do worry about the fatigue life of aluminum v. steel. Practice with the heavy, carry the light! The rate-of-fire thing may have to do with recoil spring strength. The 1911 usually comes with a pretty stout spring in it, which slows cycling, but Wolff springs can get you a lighter replacement if it's a concern. Another nice piece is the H&K USP, though you're starting to talk more $$$ here. I have a Compact USP in .45 and I loooove it. Light, since it has the polymer frame/steel slide assy. and it will also eat anything, just like a Glock and has a nice trigger (single action, that is. The DA trigger sucks). Accurate as all get-out and it has nice sights as well as more conventional controls that I'm used to. You don't need tools to strip this baby either. I quit carrying it in favor of the 1911 simply because the double-stack frame is less comfortable to conceal than the thin, single-stack 1911. USP mags are a lot more than the Glocks though, and there's no (legal) 10+ caps on the market (that I know of).

Duh! I forgot about Ithicas! They're also an excellent choice, though I've never owned one, just shot a few. One thing to remember about shotguns is that no matter how "boss" it may look, resist with all your will the urge to ditch the standard stock in favor of just a pistol grip. You'll be nowhere near as accurate w/o a shouldered gun and the recoil with anything other than light loads will be hell. Saw a guy at the range one time pull his new pistol-gripped Mossberg 500 out of the box and start to fire 3" Magnum 00 buckshot loads out of it. I just grinned 'cause I knew what was coming. He left after three shots, holding his wrist, with a nice weal on his head where the gun jumped out of his off hand and smacked him in the face. If you're worried about the full-length gun being unwieldy in close quarters, unless you live in an efficiency apt. this concern is more theoretical than real. The standard 18" cylinder-bore gun is pretty handy, even with the stock. If you still must have a shorter weapon of some sort, get a folding stock for your pump gun, since there's nothing illegal about a folder on a pump-action gun, as there would be for a semi-auto (don't get me started on the "assault weapon" crap). Though it looks cool and won't rust, I don't think stainless is a necessary expense unless you plan on living near or on the ocean. Stainless is also more reflective too, though that's in danger of me getting bogged down in theoretical tactical details.

Glad to see women here take an active interest in armed self-defense. Blondie, you're a credit to womankind!

Oh, one last thing about ammo, specifically Wolf. It is decent ammo, but make sure to get the fully copper-jacketed rounds. Wolf makes other ammo that's called bi-metal, which means the jacket has steel in it, and that's not good for your barrel long term. The bi-metal stuff's about $5 a case cheaper ('cause steel's cheaper than copper) but it's worth the money to get copper-only jackets. Also, consider if the "fun" starts, you'll want to have the best hunting ammo you can. The FMJ round is good for practice, but why not have some soft-points in reserve? The military's bound to use FMJs, but you ain't!

With rifles, your saying that FMJs are not as good as "soft points" against attackers?

Old December 6th, 2003 #35
cabinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
Being an amateur gunsmith, I can address this issue pretty well.

If you can afford a .45, get it. One shot from a .45 equals two from a 9mm. Use round hollow-points, NOT flat ones. Copper-jacketed only.

As far as a long gun, get a Mini-14 or a Mini-30 in stainless steel. Yeah, I know that you cannot get many parts for a Mini. You don't need to. They are built like tanks. Who cares?

Shotguns have no range. Forget them.

As for brands, modern Taurus are actually pretty good for people on a budget. If you can afford it, though, get a Colt 1991A1. And change the plastic mainspring housing/trigger.

Taurus is good? <throws back his head and laughs>

Try CZ for a budget auto. Likewise, Makarovs.

Old December 6th, 2003 #36
no_nomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG3000
With rifles, your saying that FMJs are not
as good as "soft points" against attackers?
Good places to drop by and ask ???s

http://www.ak-47.net/

http://www.glocktalk.com/

High Power Club
This clubhouse is for rifle and shotgun fans.

Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner is a forum for the discussion of all of the various types
of ammunition out there. If you have a question about the merits of a
particular brand/type of ammo, this is the place to pose it.

Old December 6th, 2003 #37
no_nomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinger
Taurus is good? <throws back his head and laughs>
Try CZ for a budget auto. Likewise, Makarovs.
Oh Yes! Maks are very reliabile! And very inexpensive also!
A bit underpowered for my taste. A little bit larger and
heavier than Glocks etc ... But fun to shoot. Great value!
Did I mention reliable hahaha! Built like a brick $h'thouse!!!

Good Mak discussion here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=202425

Learn lots more about 'em here:
http://makarov.com/

buy 'em at gunshows or private owner sales cheap!

Last edited by no_nomen; December 6th, 2003 at 03:57 AM.

Old December 6th, 2003 #38
no_nomen

Default Of course if you really get serious...

And you're not on a real strict budget:..

Old December 6th, 2003 #39
Blondie

No_nomen, is that an over/under pistol grip shotgun? I don't think I've ever seen that gun before.

I bought a Makarov 9mm from some place on the internet out in Ohio, had it shipped to my FFL here, and it's pretty nice. It was dirt cheap, was some kind of eastern European surplus, if I remember correctly. I bought it just to have a semi and never use it. I don't remember what I paid, but I think it was maybe $50 or so, but I do remember it was very, very inexpensive.

Old December 6th, 2003 #40
no_nomen

Hi there Blondie,

That's a high-powered flashlight on the front of the S/G.
"Nasty things come out at night".

That Mak round is not a full power 9mm Para.
Maks come in 9mm Makarov and .380.
A Little less powerful than a 9mm Para.
Still LOTS! better than harsh words HaHaHa!
Southern Ohio Guns probably.
http://www.southernohiogun.com/

They are currently offering a "Polish Mak" for sale.
But watch out! Itz only a "Mak" cal. - Not a true Mak!
OK for collectors - not for when TSHTF etc. or lot of fun.

If you paid $50 or so you got a "steal".
$150 or so more normal price - still dirt cheap
for a great pistol!

You need to pick up some (10+) extra mags for $5+
You wouldn't leave home in your car with only one "gas tank"
if that tank only held 6-7-8 gallons would you?

See URLS below for discussion on Maks and pix

Good Mak discussion here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=202425

Learn lots more about 'em here:
http://makarov.com/

buy 'em at gunshows or private owner sales cheap!

Thread