Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 16th, 2011 #21
Alex Linder
Administrator

the prices i posted are deceptive: most items are up considerably. meat is sky-high. i guess they had a rush of chickens come in explaining the nearly 50% drop, but other than that, meat is very expensive. vegetables are not cheap at all at Hy-Vee. they did have a bag of onions for 1.50, but that was a sale price. normally you can pay about a dollar for a large onion. the price of the fruit they have is off-the-charts ridiculous to my way of thinking. processed food, basically anything in a bag or container, is considerably more expensive, almost week by week.

Old March 16th, 2011 #22
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
the prices i posted are deceptive: most items are up considerably. meat is sky-high. i guess they had a rush of chickens come in explaining the nearly 50% drop, but other than that, meat is very expensive. vegetables are not cheap at all at Hy-Vee. they did have a bag of onions for 1.50, but that was a sale price. normally you can pay about a dollar for a large onion. the price of the fruit they have is off-the-charts ridiculous to my way of thinking. processed food, basically anything in a bag or container, is considerably more expensive, almost week by week.
As far as meat goes, I was at a livestock auction on Tuesday, the gentleman sitting next to me sold his calves for twice what he thought he would get for them. Prices are soaring.

Old August 4th, 2011 #23
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Lowest price per loaf of bread I could find at the local supermarket was .78 for the store brand.

Old August 4th, 2011 #24
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Lowest price per loaf of bread I could find at the local supermarket was .78 for the store brand.
That's way cheaper than I've been able to find.

Old August 4th, 2011 #25
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
Watch, your going to get about a dozen replies along the lines of "WTF is a Piggly Wiggly".

It's a Southern thang.

That pig character might make a good avatar for somebody..
lol I've always thought it was a very strange name. I little trivia about Piggly Wiggly.

The first store was opened in Memphis,TN and they were the first chain store to introduce the "check-out" line.

Old August 4th, 2011 #26
Alex Linder
Administrator

Was just out walking in the hood. A grandma was having a mini-garage sale and on a table were some tomatoes she was trying to sell. She had some price, but I offered her $1 for three medium-large tomatoes. She wouldn't take it. I think they weighed like 1.5 pounds, and she was trying to sell them $2/lb. Her deal was 3lb for $5. Three pounds of tomatoes is like 6-7 tomatoes max. For $5.

This must mean something. In my memory of living here, 12 years, people usually GIVE AWAY bags of tomatoes. Now they're like freakin' gold.

Last edited by Alex Linder; August 4th, 2011 at 05:06 PM.

Old August 4th, 2011 #27
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

It means people are hurting and it's only going to get worse.

Old August 4th, 2011 #28
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Kiley View Post
It means people are hurting and it's only going to get worse.
I suppose so. But I mean we're talking some tomatoes. It's pretty sad when you cant jew someone down to a dollar for three tomatoes, for christ's sake. She's in a place where basically no one is coming by. Which must mean she has some other option for selling the tomatoes, since she had about 20 of them. Just makes me wonder. Because times are tough, even simple transactions of a farmer's market or garage sale have become grim and businesslike. This woman literally weighed these three tomatoes on her scale. The funny thing was, they're all the same freakin' size. Christ, I was offering more than a quarter apiece. She basically wanted $1 apiece, if they weighed 1.5 pounds.

Old August 4th, 2011 #29
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

Quote:
I suppose so. But I mean we're talking some tomatoes. It's pretty sad when you cant jew someone down to a dollar for three tomatoes, for christ's sake. She's in a place where basically no one is coming by. Which must mean she has some other option for selling the tomatoes, since she had about 20 of them. Just makes me wonder. Because times are tough, even simple transactions of a farmer's market or garage sale have become grim and businesslike. This woman literally weighed these three tomatoes on her scale. The funny thing was, they're all the same freakin' size. Christ, I was offering more than a quarter apiece. She basically wanted $1 apiece, if they weighed 1.5 pounds.
People are scared and trying to make a buck anywhere they can. It's the same way around here. You should see some of the items for sale in the TN Trader. Two years ago they would have been giving these things away.

Old August 4th, 2011 #30
N.M. Valdez
SMASH THE FASH

It's a good thing you have potatoes and tomatoes at all. How generous it was of their original cultivators.

Old August 4th, 2011 #31
OTPTT
Banned

Navel Oranges

February 2011 - $.52 a piece.
May 2011 - $.66 a piece.
July 2011 - $.78 a piece.

Old August 5th, 2011 #32
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
I suppose so. But I mean we're talking some tomatoes. It's pretty sad when you cant jew someone down to a dollar for three tomatoes, for christ's sake.
Cut grams a break, man!

33 cents each? You sir, are a piker.

If you like tomatoes, you should seek out a "Cherokee Purple". Best tasting tomato I've ever had, and I've had a lot of tomatoes.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; August 5th, 2011 at 06:06 AM.

Old August 5th, 2011 #33
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
That's way cheaper than I've been able to find.
Yeah, bread is always pretty cheap around here.

I think it's because there are quite a few supermarkets within a few miles, and they know everyone looks at the price of bread, eggs, milk, etc.

Food costs are one of those things that we all should learn how to minimize.

Over the course of a lifetime, keeping food costs to a minimum equates to an incredible amount of cash.

Old August 5th, 2011 #34
Nate Richards

Speaking of bread, it's a good idea to look for Salvation Army and church food pantry locations that are near you or on your way home from work even if you aren't low-income. Bread is so cheap to make and has to be changed out frequently. What happens is these places often have tons of it that they can't get rid of. Even though you have to have low income to get food boxes at these places, and can only visit x times per month or year, they often let anyone take bread anytime they like. At the bigger handout spots this can include everything "bakery": rolls, buns, donuts, cakes etc.

Not worth going far out of your way, but if you find one on your normal route you might as well get free loaves that would otherwise end up in the trash.

Old August 5th, 2011 #35
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Yeah, bread is always pretty cheap around here.

I think it's because there are quite a few supermarkets within a few miles, and they know everyone looks at the price of bread, eggs, milk, etc.

Food costs are one of those things that we all should learn how to minimize.

Over the course of a lifetime, keeping food costs to a minimum equates to an incredible amount of cash.

I've been working on minimizing mine. Our garden has certainly helped, the chest freezer is already 3/4 full with vegetables and I've canned so much there is no more room in my cabinets. I buy sugar, flour, coffee and rice in bulk. This fall we plan on putting a few deer in the freezer as well. Perhaps a pig as well.

The chickens should start laying eggs soon, the hens that don't produce are going in the stew pot. Along with any rooster that gets nasty...

Old June 13th, 2013 #36
Harland Sanders
Banned

Quote:
I've been working on minimizing mine. Our garden has certainly helped, the chest freezer is already 3/4 full with vegetables and I've canned so much there is no more room in my cabinets. I buy sugar, flour, coffee and rice in bulk. This fall we plan on putting a few deer in the freezer as well. Perhaps a pig as well.

The chickens should start laying eggs soon, the hens that don't produce are going in the stew pot. Along with any rooster that gets nasty...
Don't you know how to fry a damn chicken?

Old November 5th, 2014 #37
Alex Linder
Administrator

Today was a milestone. I remember when cokes were .25. And I thought I'd never see the day a coke cost a buck. Then I did, on a Utah ski slope. Today was another milestone. A regular whole baking chicken over 10 bucks. $10.28. 6.9 lb. And that's Hy-Vee weight, which means it's about 1/3 injected sodium solution and 1/3 neck and giblets. Butter and eggs are higher than I've ever seen. Eggs are like 2.50 a dozen. Never thought I'd see the day when a single whole chicken was over $10, but it's here.

Thread