VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 12th, 2023 #1
jagd messer

Default Bram Stoker and Dracula

How Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” was linked to Sligo’s cholera outbreak

Bram Stoker’s mother was haunted by what she saw after her family escaped cholera, and there is a strong belief that the stories she told echo through her son’s famous novel.

The Bram Stoker Society heard how Dublin born Stoker's Sligo mother's tales of the 1832 cholera epidemic, which killed 1,500, affected her horror writing son.

A remarkable account of how Sligo has been linked to one of the greatest horror novels of all time, "Dracula," was recalled at a special event in the town, in 2018.

Academics and fans of the gothic novel written by Bram Stoker gathered in November 2018 in Sligo town where his mother, Charlotte Thornley, the daughter of a policeman, grew up in Old Market Street.

The gathering organized by the local Bram Stoker Society heard how Catherine told her son, who was born in Dublin in 1847, stories of the horrors of a devastating cholera epidemic that killed 1,500 people in Sligo in six weeks in 1832.

Catherine wrote a first-hand account of what she witnessed in "Experiences of the Cholera in Ireland."

Bram later compared her stories with other accounts of the epidemic in Sligo written by local historians William G. Wood-Martin and Terence O’Rorke.

Portrait of Bram Stoker by Aidan Hickey.

Stoker then penned "Dracula" in 1897, the story of a Transylvanian vampire who travels to England in search of new blood.

Historian Dr. Marion McGarry, who has researched the links between Sligo and Dracula, has told of how Bram Stoker’s mother was haunted by what she saw after her family escaped cholera, and there is a strong belief that the stories she told echo through her son’s famous novel. The first victim of the cholera epidemic in Sligo died on August 11. Wood-Martin wrote that this event was preceded by an unusual storm, with “thunder and lightning, accompanied by a close, hot atmosphere.” McGarry says this is mirrored in "Dracula," whose arrival from the east is preceded by a great and sudden storm, and he claims his first victim on English soil on August 11.

McGarry’s research highlights other connections between Dracula and what happened in Sligo in 1832, including real stories of people being buried before they were dead, while in "Dracula," there is the concept of the undead, vampires who are living while dead.

Sligo’s Catholic clergy was thought somehow immune to cholera and suffered few casualties. In "Dracula," Stoker, a Protestant, casts the symbols of Roman Catholicism, such as holy water and the crucifix, to fight against vampirism.

When the epidemic eventually ended, there remained a terrible smell in Sligo for months after. In "Dracula," places associated with the Count have a rotting smell.

McGarry has noted that poet WB Yeats’ mother was from Sligo, and the town has become a draw for Yeatsian tourists from all over the world. Yet there is not much in the town that obviously marks its associations with "Dracula." A small plaque marks the approximate site of Stoker's grandparents' home and there is some "Dracula" -themed street art in a car park.

Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” linked to Sligo’s cholera outbreak
12 X 2023.

This was always well known in Sligo town.

Old October 12th, 2023 #2
Ole Massa

I think Count Dracula was created to symbolize the Jews.

Old October 15th, 2023 #3
jagd messer

Default How a horrifying bit of Irish folklore inspired Bram Stoker's Dracula

How a horrifying bit of Irish folklore inspired Bram Stoker's Dracula

THERE ARE countless tales of vampires and blood-sucking demons across western society and beyond, but few are as famous as Bram Stoker's Dracula.

First published back in 1897, the Irishman's terrifying Gothic horror tells the story of Count Dracula and his attempts at breaking out of Transylvania to forge a new life of blood-letting in merry old England. In his way stands a band of men and women led by Jonathan Harker and Dracula's arch nemesis Professor Abraham van Helsing.

A sprawling, timeless, gothic masterpiece that feels as fresh now as it must have all those centuries ago, it's always been assumed that Dracula was based on the real-life figure of Vlad the Impaler. The 15th century Prince of Wallachia, Vlad III or Vlad Dracula had a taste for blood and a penchant for inflicting the worst kind of pain on his foes. Responsible for the deaths of thousands across a region encompassing Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey, it's widely believed that Vlad Dracula provided the basis for Stoker's seminal novel. That may not necessarily be the case though. Stoker's novel wasn't originally titled Dracula but rather The Un-dead, while the tome's central blood-sucker went by the name Count Wampyr.

Bram Stoker creator of Dracula.

An essay from Professor Elizabeth Miller, meanwhile, contended that Stoker may not have even known about the legend of Vlad Dracula, as there is no evidence of such in the writer's research notes for the book.

Born in Clontarf in Dublin back in 1847, one popular theory presented by Bob Curran, a lecturer in Celtic History and Folklore at the University of Ulster, Coleraine, suggests Stoker actually based his novel on the story of Abhartach. A decidedly bloody and disturbing 5th century folklore legend, the story of Abhartach is every bit as terrifying as that of Vlad the Impaler albeit with one key difference: it took place in Ireland.

According to an early 17th century account from Dr Geoffrey Keating, Abhartach was a brutal Irish warlord who ruled over a small region of Ireland thought to encompass the town of Garvagh, Co Derry. A ruthless and feared leader, Abhartach ruled through a mix of intimidation and bloodletting and was believed to be in possession of magical powers bestowed upon him by evil spirits. Eventually, the townsfolk banded together and, together with a neighbouring chieftain by the name of Cathain, succeeded in killing Abhartach. But the story takes a decidedly dark twist with the burial of Abhartach who was entombed standing up, as was the tradition for Celtic chieftain funerals at the time.

According to the folklore, Abhartach soon rose from the grave and began yet another murderous reign of terror, fuelled by the blood of his subjects, which he demanded by the bowlful in an attempt to sustain his energy. Cathain soon returned and succeeded in killing the tyrant again but, once again, Abhartach returned, demanding more blood from the land of the living.Suddenly aware he was facing off against a spiritual force beyond his mortal boundaries, Cathain took advice from a Christian saint who explained that a sword made of yew wood was required to vanquish Abhartach once and for all. Even then further precautions would be required. Cathain was instructed to bury Abhartach upside down with a grant stone placed above his body to prevent further escape. This time he succeeded in vanquishing the evil spirit, though some evidence of the dastardly deed remains.

Take a trip down to the quiet town of Slaghtaverty in County Derry / Londonderry and you'll come across an unusual gravestone containing a dark secret. Does the body of Abhartach, the one true influence of Bram Stoker's Dracula lie, waiting, within? There's only one way to find out…

How a horrifying bit of Irish folklore inspired Bram Stoker's Dracula

15 X 2023.

Old February 3rd, 2024 #4
jagd messer

Default 'No doubt' about Sligo links to Dracula, says Stoker relative

'No doubt' about Sligo links to Dracula, says Stoker relative

The great grand-nephew of Bram Stoker believes that there is no doubt that the author's writing was inspired by his mother Charlotte's stories from Sligo of the cholera epidemic of the 1830s.

Dacre Stoker, now an author in his own right, visited Sligo last week for the first time to see his family's roots. Bram's mother, Charlotte Thornley, was a Sligo native. Dacre says it is almost certain that Charlotte's stories of premature burials, death, and illness inspired Bram's most famous novel 'Dracula'. He said: "When Bram was a young man and he was beginning his writing career, his mother and father and two sisters had moved continent. We have a record of Bram actually asking for that story to be typed up and mailed to him. He took that and used that in his book of short stories, 'Under the Sunset', horror stories for children. We know beyond reasonable doubt that that story had a major impact on Bram."

He believes that Bram kept his mother's stories in the back of his mind, because he as a youngster suffered a lengthy period of illness, and perhaps feared that he too would be misdiagnosed and prematurely buried.

Whitby Abbey in the UK is said to have also inspired Bram Stoker when he wrote 'Dracula'. Although unable to visit Sligo Abbey during his visit to Sligo, Dacre says that there are similarities between Sligo Abbey and Whitby. "Even when you read Dracula, Whitby Abbey is not really mentioned. It's an atmosphere that Bram took advantage of and placed that story in Whitby because of many things in Whitby's feel and vibe. What's stronger is the association to the story of Charlotte growing up here and the direct connection between her telling him the story of the 1832 cholera epidemic, him asking for it to be typed up and then sent back to him years later. "There's no question that had something to do with him thinking of undead bodies, misdiagnosis, premature burial, all ties in together," he told The Sligo Champion.

Finally getting to visit Sligo, the home of his relatives, was a 'relief' he said. "I've come to Dublin, I've come to Killarney where the other part of my family is from. "Finally coming to Sligo is this relief that I can finally tick off the box, I wouldn't say I've finished the trail of Bram's mother and her family but I'm getting closer and this is an important step. I'm loving it and I'm so glad I finally made it."

Dacre said he was aware of the huge work done by the Stoker Society Sligo, but was not fully aware of how much work they have done. During his visit, he met many members of the society and learned of the research carried out by Dr. Fiona Gallagher, and Dr. Marion McGarry. "I knew a little bit because of social media and I knew what Marion had done with the Stoker Sligo society. I didn't know much about Fiona's work but now I've met them all, there's great synergy of local interest and expertise that are bringing to the forefront. "Now that I see the County Council is behind these signs, and the church where the tomb is, it seems to be a group of people very interested in highlighting this. I had a little idea but not nearly as much as now that I'm finally here to see it. Nothing tells the story as much as being there and seeing it."

Dacre unveiled a new storyboard at St. John's Cathedral, where members of Charlotte Thornley's family, including her mother, are buried. He also laid a wreath at the family tomb in what was an emotional experience for him. "There was a lot of people that showed up at St. John's Church, a lot of parishioners who came out of interest but there's a wonderful sign that I unveiled. That's important too. "Even though there may be talk of this in the town, there needs to be physical markers and to see the sign on the side of the building next to where they think Charlotte's family lived and to have these storyboards where people can go and take a picture. "It's important. The internet is wonderful but it's fleeting. Permanent markers are important.

"When the nerves calm down and you're finally here, this is part of your family. When you sort of look at this and go 'if she (Charlotte's mother) wasn't here I wouldn't be here'. It is emotional. It's a wonderful thing and it's really nice that she's being well looked after and the grave is well maintained and other people care about it even though the family is long gone." Dacre feels that there is plenty that can be done with the Stoker connection to boost tourism in Sligo. "There's a number of things that come to mind. Dublin started a full on festival which stimulates other people to do art, music, short plays. I know somebody in Ballyshannon did a play that had to do with it. I know there's some interest. I know if there could be a festival, more of these signboards put up, if you build it they will come." "You need physical things. You need a tourist to look on the internet and say 'let's go to Sligo, let's take this tour and what else is here?'. "If you don't have a festival or something else organised then you can just read about it on the internet, you don't have to come." Storyboards have also been erected at Sligo Abbey, the library and more.

Sligo Champion:
'No doubt' about Sligo links to Dracula, says Stoker relative
03 II 2024.

Old February 3rd, 2024 #5
Bismillah

Let's just remember that , one of the big reasons Haiti and Africa became AIDS infested to the degree that it was was because drinking blood is what niggers do.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1u754IJqjx4

Niggers are murderous monsters, who literally drink blood.

And the Christian ritual of the Eucharist is a voodoo black magic spell to make you consent to be eaten and to having the vampire gods drink your blood. as well as a dick sucking ritual.

All nigger lovers admire niggers for their evil.

Thread