Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 27th, 2005 #25
ngrh8r
Banned

After reading several posts in this thread comparing size with fighting ability, I have to put in my 2 cents. I'm 5'8" and 175 lbs. My max bench is about 225, curl is 130, and squat about 240. I'm 25 now, and I've trained in various martial arts since I was a kid. Now, my sparring partner is one of those freaks who has 20 inch biceps and can bench 500, all without regular strength training. When it comes to standup, he can't compare to my handspeed, and is rarely able to block my kicks. My punching power is also superior to his, HOWEVER, when it comes to grappling, he can throw me around like a ragdoll. I'm no slouch on the mat either, with experience in both wrestling and jiu-jitsu. It is also true that extra muscle is a good shock absorber. I've seen him take a good dozen leg kicks and stay on his feet. The last guy I fought who was my size suffered a brocken femur after 1.
Being huge will not guarantee that you can kick ass, but it sure doesn't hurt, either. The size is also damn intimidating, and personally, I'd rather have someone avoid me than challenge me and loose.

Thread