Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 15th, 2004 #1
Rahowa

Default Core training

I've heard alot of talk about core training recently, all i know is the whole idea is to strengthen your midsection/lower back as that can be the weak link in training.

Does anyone know if it's true or just bullshit?

Old August 15th, 2004 #2
IrishJay

The abs, lower back and hips are the core for your power, strength and balance.

You have a powerful core and you have more stability and the ability to generate power. Where do you think the power comes from in a punch? That is why a man who is larger than Mike Tyson can not generate the power he can from a punch. He puts his hips and core into it. Watch one of his older fights and you will see that.

When you squat you need to keep your abs and lower back tight, if they are weak, they will give out. The same with deadlifts.

Try to bench press a maximum weight and feel how much work your abs do....

Trust me, you need to get that core stronger.

Old August 16th, 2004 #3
IrishJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR ANTICHRIST
A question for IrishJay, you said you have used some of Pavels methods and found them useful, how have you used them in your program? And do you know about coach Sonnon's work,and if you do what is your opionon of his work?
Ok, I use the GTG method. Greasing the Groove is when you just do a movement throughout the day for maybe 1-2 reps as a practice. Over time that movement becomes easier and you get stronger. I use that method for one-armed pushups and pistol squats.

I also train with kettlebells; hi rep snatches, cleans, leg passes and swings are some of the moves that I got from his books.

His training methods found in the book "Power to the People" have revolutionized the way I thought about strength and power. I used to do bodybuilding-type exercises and although I was VERY gym strong, I did horrible in strongman contests and Highland Games. Due to his suggestions and principles I got stronger in the squat, deadlift and overhead pressing (my bench press went a bit down though) and I started to do a lot better in strength meets although I weighed almost 50 pounds lighter then when I started doing his workouts. I now weigh 255 and when I had the NFL workout I was 310. I am stronger now being lighter than I ever was, and my BP is only 20 pounds worse than when I was 310. Not too bad...

I recommend Pavel highly.

Coach Sonnon seems like a great choice to learn from, but I never got into his methods like I did others. I try to specialize a little bit on a few things at a time, but when I switch up my training to try something new, I will give him a shot and see how it works.

Old August 16th, 2004 #4
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

in tai chi you know that is all about the core

think of the exercise they call rolling the ball

in jap they talk about the midpoint or tan tien

also about the "hara" which is your lower abdomen, roughly

having a stable center of gravity is called "haragei"

proper breathing is the ultimate core exercise

reminds me of the story of Heracles wrestling the Titan, cant recall his name, but he was the son of Gea the Earth, and everytime he threw him down to the Earth he got stronger-

good book on this called Samadhi

Thread