VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 23rd, 2016 #1
Karl Radl
The Epitome of Evil

Default Remarkable Holocaust Nonsense #3: The Wehrmacht branding Soviet POWs

Remarkable Holocaust Nonsense #3: The Wehrmacht branding Soviet POWs

In yet another instance of absurd claims made about the Germans in World War II. I quote an assertion of, I presume, Soviet origin about the forces of the Third Reich branding their Soviet prisoners of war.

This is reproduced from the wildly popular history of 'Nazi atrocities' named 'The Scourge of the Swastika' authored by Edward Russell (aka Lord Russell of Liverpool) who was a key figure in the Nuremberg and Tokyo War Crime Trials.

I quote:

'Orders were also given for the branding of prisoners. 'Soviet prisoners of war will be branded with a distinct and lasting mark. The brand will consist of an acute angle of about 45°, one of its sides being about a centimetre in length, pointing downwards on the left buttock about a hand's breadth away from the rectum. Indian ink will be used for colouring.'' (1)

Notice that Russell here claims to be quoting some kind of German document, but predictably he doesn't actually tells us what he is supposed to be quoting. Absolutely nothing in either the text itself, a footnote or a reference.

Regardless of it being claimed by Russell without any firm evidential basis.

The fact is that this is rather improbable scenario given that the tattooed mark is nondescript and not readily identifiable. After all what is being described is a tattooed 45 degree line about a hand away from the rectum on the left buttock being used to identify individuals captured as Soviet prisoners of war.

It doesn't exactly stand out: does it?

To be quite frank: such a tattooed mark is about as useful in identifying individuals as prisoners of war as a chocolate teapot. Since you have to get everyone you suspect of being a Soviet prisoner of war to drop their trousers, which is hardly something you can keep doing for any length of time without causing serious issues for the personnel undertaking the task (i.e. individual and mass refusal, difficulty in gaining cooperation from the local populace, difficult to do in adverse weather conditions such as are frequent events in Eastern Europe etc).

Why not just tattoo the prisoner's forearm with some identifiable mark like a number as was done to some individuals passing through the German concentration camp system?

Tattooing the left buttock of Soviet prisoners of war really just doesn't make any sense: does it?

References

(1) Edward Russell, 1972, [1956], 'The Scourge of the Swastika', 14th Edition, Corgi: London, p. 58

-----------------------------------------

This was originally published at the following address: http://semiticcontroversies.blogspot...onsense-3.html

Thread