VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 30th, 2008 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Turdcoil Nightbulbs

Another good example of moralizing assholes making everything worse for normal people.

Get your hands off my light bulbs, Big Brother
Bryan Forbes
Wednesday, 23rd January 2008

Bryan Forbes says that the government’s ruling that incandescent light bulbs be phased out is a symptom of a world indulging its political lunacies — and it makes it too dark to read

Call me old-fashioned, as Dame Edna says, but I don’t fancy spending my remaining years in semi-darkness because this poxy government has performed yet another knee-jerk reaction and decreed that all incandescent light bulbs will be phased out, whether we like it or not. A warning bulletin from Defra informs us that should we be careless enough to break a long-life bulb, we must immediately vacate the room in which the tragedy occurs for at least 15 minutes. Then we are not allowed to vacuum up the broken glass because that will spread mercury droplets around the entire house. Instead we must don rubber gloves, sweep up the glass and place it in a sealed bag while making sure not to inhale any dust (does glass make dust?) before disposing of the toxic waste in a proper container. That is if by that time you haven’t lost the will to live. What joker writes this stuff? Can it be ghosted by Ed Balls to justify his surname?

Let me sketch a Monty Python scenario for you. Picture a typical British family gathered together in the gloom and squabbling over the best way to assemble a flat-packed Ikea dining suite they have just bought. Suddenly the two expensive energy-saving sources of illumination which, like the Third Reich, have not lasted for a thousand years self-destruct simultaneously (as is the wont of light bulbs). This calls for urgent action and the father is fit for purpose; he orders everybody out into the street where, unfortunately, one of his brood is immediately mugged by a binge drinker out on bail for a previous offence. Unaware of this new tragedy, the father risks dying from mercury droplet poisoning, dons rubber washing-up gloves, sweeps up the debris but, stupidly, puts the resulting toxic debris in the recycling bag intended solely for green wine bottles. His error is detected and traced and he is prosecuted. He claims protection under the Human Rights Act and the resulting court case costs the taxpayer only marginally less than the Diana inquest.

OK, I’ve stretched belief a fraction, but only a fraction because, more and more, the headlines bring us fresh evidence that we are living in a Lewis Carroll world. How about the case of the part-time coastguard who rescued a young girl perilously close to death having fallen down a cliff? Far from being commended, he was given a bollocking for having failed to observe health-and-safety regulations. Acting under the same lunatic rules, an amateur pantomime cast are required to put their prop wooden swords and guns under lock and key in case they are used for mass slaughter. Of course, should anybody wish to acquire a real gun, this presents no problems.

Then we have the spectacle of hitherto unknown junior ministers, who presumably live on another planet, trotted out on Newsnight to justify the massaged crime statistics. Unbelievably, NHS staff need to be given basic instructions on how to wash their hands and avoid the spread of disease (it’s rocket science — you have to turn on hot tap, apply disinfectant soap and scrub). Every few weeks we are insulted by some fat-cat pundit from the latest, unelected quango telling us that the Olympics will come in on budget, or that the 160,000 new boxes designated as houses will be built on known flood plains but somehow escape disaster by divine intervention. Incompetence is now allowed as justification for the offence of concealment. Those who govern us are confident that we have been so brainwashed by a decade of economies with the truth that we will accept every fresh lunacy. ‘Tax doesn’t have to be taxing,’ we are patronisingly told in a costly television ad. Of course tax is taxing, stupid, and we are driven to despair by the fact that our taxes are so casually squandered on useless projects.

My generation was the one, largely state-educated and reasonably literate, that fought in a war against acknowledged tyrannies to preserve basic and long-cherished freedoms. Since then what world have we been gradually forced to accept? A new religion of political correctness daily reaches fresh heights of idiocy, ignoring the fact that a society that willingly retreats from common sense is ultimately doomed. Privacy for the ordinary citizen is now dead. The latest tally is that we are being watched by a staggering three million closed-circuit television cameras, yet no camera has yet been invented that can photograph inside a terrorist’s brain. Government, police and security services possess greater legal powers to pry into our lives than they do in communist China.

With no proven evidence against us, a warrant can be obtained and our homes entered for the comparatively minor crime of failing to possess a TV licence. GCHQ is alleged to exist for the sole purpose of protecting us from attacks by enemy states but in reality also watches its own citizens using a variety of high-tech devices. Ninety per cent of internet traffic is scrutinised through a global system named Echelon, a combined effort involving the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK (although the UK does not admit it exists). Our mobile phones can be tapped into by remote machines called IMSI-catchers, and the mysteriously named Van Eck systems can read our computer screens from a distance. The codes we now live under no longer stem from a democratic reality, but a carefully constructed illusion of democracy that has been allowed to morph into a dictatorial presidential system. The manifestos issued by our political parties at election time have less validity than the guarantees on a child’s Christmas toy.

So how much credence should we give to this latest addition to the alleged causes of man-made global warming? Since I have observed that every government building in London is ablaze with light from top to bottom throughout the hours of darkness, why should I accept without a murmur that my use of incandescent bulbs will materially assist the demise of the polar bear?

Scaremongering about global warming is a politically convenient way of diverting attention from the real ills that beset our everyday lives. Can you imagine the chaos when the entire population is compelled to change every light bulb in their homes and offices? What happens when many of our increasingly aged population cannot afford it, as many won’t? And what of those who sensibly stockpile the soon-to-be-condemned incandescent bulbs against the day when they are classified alongside Class A drugs? Will they all be detected and criminalised alongside those who commit the heinous offence of selling fruit by pounds and ounces? What seems to be in store for us goes beyond any Orwellian nightmare glimpse into the future — it is the stuff of total fantasy whereby Big Brother watches many of us become morbidly obese because we lack enough light to read the labels on junk-food packaging.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magaz...-brother.thtml

Old January 30th, 2008 #2
yankee jane
Mene, Mene, Tekel Upharsin

Default Re: The Turdcoil Nightbulb Scam

something like this was tried out here in California recently. It didn't fly. It and the "controller" who suggested the legislation are both gone.

Old January 30th, 2008 #3
Bob DeMarais

Pigtail light bulbs are the way to go. The only part of the nutcase crank article that I agree with is that the pigtails do not put out as much useable light as the obsolete ones did. But a 75 watt-equivalent pigtail bulb is easily as powerful as the old 60 watt. The 75 watt-equivalent pigtail uses only 30% as much electricity. It produces little heat, which reduces your air conditioner load. And the pigtails last much longer.

Dr. Pierce started using them in about 1998 for all bulbs in heavy use – like the ones lighting the stairway. Like him, I’m not paranoid about mercury, because being science nuts both of us played with mercury as kids; I even tasted it.

As for the government mandating things, I once opposed that. However libertinism assumes some mental equality among residents. Our country is not populated with Dr. Pierces. The majority is now made up of irrationals: Blacks, Mexicans, white trash, and nutcase cranks.

Old January 30th, 2008 #4
Jett Rink
Banned

Florecent light is horrible, too much blue light. Why should anyone have to conserve when we can just jettison mexicans and niggers who are sucking up all the energy???

Old January 30th, 2008 #5
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Caldwell View Post
Pigtail light bulbs are the way to go. The only part of the nutcase crank article that I agree with is that the pigtails do not put out as much useable light as the obsolete ones did. But a 75 watt-equivalent pigtail bulb is easily as powerful as the old 60 watt. The 75 watt-equivalent pigtail uses only 30% as much electricity. It produces little heat, which reduces your air conditioner load. And the pigtails last much longer.
Sure, those are the claims. If they were true, no law would be needed to get people to use them.

Old January 30th, 2008 #6
Darren
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Sure, those are the claims. If they were true, no law would be needed to get people to use them.
The claims are true; anyone with a watt meter can measure it for themselves, and most of us who own them can attest to their longer lifespan.

People don't buy them for various reasons:
- the inability to see past the initial cost of the bulbs vs. the savings over time they will gain
- no economic impetus (have enough money not to care)
- just don't care to begin with (the same people who buy an SUV instead of a minivan or car that would suit their needs just as well)

Not all people like or can stand fluorescent light - that is fine. I agree that we can do much more for the environment by tackling immigration than having the government tell us which bulbs we should use.

Old January 30th, 2008 #7
Sean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
People don't buy them for various reasons:
I don’t buy them for 4 reasons, they are fugly, impractical, eye strainers and dim.

Most lampshades (or all the ones around here) attach to the round bulbs and if you use the curly bulbs you can’t attach a lampshade to them. Also who really uses bulbs in a ceiling these days? I have a few older rooms in this house that still use bulbs but most rooms have been upgraded to 4-foot florescent lights. Some of the bulbs were bought in the mid 90’s and have never been changed.

Many ceiling fans still use the round bulbs and the curly styles stick out beyond the globes and are dangerous. They don’t work well in track lighting either. If you have them in a non-heated outside building they don’t function well there.

If a law does pass requiring the purchase of those ugly crooked things I will upgrade every bulb in the house to 4-foot florescent lights.

Old December 11th, 2008 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

EU agrees to switch off old-style light bulbs by Sept. 2012

2 days ago

BRUSSELS (AFP) — The European Union decided to phase out traditional household light bulbs by September 2012 in favour of new energy-saving models that use a fraction of the electricity.

From next September, 100-watt versions of the old incandescent bulbs will be banned from Europe's shops and other bulbs with lower wattage will follow in the ensuing years, EU experts decided in a vote in Brussels.

"It's very clear that this is a measure that will change the way that we consume energy," EU Energy Commissioner Andris Piebalgs told journalists.

The European Commission estimated that the measure would save the electricity consumption equivalent to 11 million European households or the yearly output of ten 500-megawatt power stations.

It also said that the move should cut carbon dioxide emissions by 15 million tonnes as well as save households as much as 50 euros a year on their electricity bills.

At the moment, around 85 percent of household lights are considered to use too much electricity.

EU nations have agreed to make 20-percent cuts in energy use by 2020 as part of a wider climate change package.

New technology light bulbs, such as compact florescent lights (CFL) can save up to 80 percent of the energy used by the worst old-style lights in homes.

Piebalgs said that the phasing out had to be gradual so that "production facilities could adapt to the new lighting" and the quality of light could be ensured.

"We really needed to be sure that in phasing out conventional light bulbs, we would have the same quality of light," he said. "Money is being saved, CO2 emission are being saved, but the quality of light isn't changing."

The decision still has to be endorsed by the European Parliament.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...rbivOS0DcyIhaQ

Old December 14th, 2008 #9
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Why is Darren banned?
Getting back to the topic, this proves how the "European" Jew'dnion has nothing better to do than to legislate in these types of laws

Old December 21st, 2008 #10
Hugo Böse
Jeunesse Dorée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
Florecent light is horrible, too much blue light.
I only use halogen lamps, they make nice bright light. I hope our dear leaders don’t ban those as well.

Old December 21st, 2008 #11
Sam Reeves
Happy Bigot

I screwed up about 2-3 years ago and bought a bunch of those dumb spiral light bulbs back when they were $6 a piece. They barely produce any light so it's almost as inefficient as one of those 'low flow" toilets that you end up needing to flush three times. They malfunction, start to hum and hiss just like the rest of the florescent lamps and really do not last as long as the old faithful cheap bulbs. The only reason I can see to have them is if you are operating with some alternative energy source where lack of wattage is an issue.

That tells me some asshole was BUTTHURT by my post.

Old December 21st, 2008 #12
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

I have changed every bulb in my house to pigtails. My electric bill the first month dropped by 30 bucks. They have since payed for themselves and I have not had to change one of them yet (going on 7 months now). I personally hate having BRIGHT lights in the house at night. During they day I have enough windows to keep me from even needing to turn on the lights.

Old December 21st, 2008 #13
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

I hate florescent lights of any kind. The good news is that incandescent lights are still plentiful, and cheap. Unless you have bad circuits or appliances, an ordinary incandescent light will last the better part of a year, sometimes much longer.

Go to COSCO and buy a couple of hundred and you can avoid buying the pigtail lights for the rest of your life. Of course, at 63 that's easy for me to say.

Mike

Old December 23rd, 2008 #14
Gerald Wheeler
Vigilance is First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Caldwell View Post
Like him, I’m not paranoid about mercury, because being science nuts both of us played with mercury as kids; I even tasted it.
You know, I've often wondered about that. When I was a kid we would get some and roll it around in our hands and then coat a copper penny to make it silver. And, if memory serves me correctly, I tasted it, too. You don't want to know about all the wonderful things I/we did with paper soda straws and little cans of black powder bought at a local hardware store, or about the stolen blasting caps.

Old December 29th, 2008 #15
vladmir
Why are JEWS at my table?

The damned things are so full of toxic waste/gasses that when you break one you are advised to call HAZMAT to instruct you how to deal with them. Most are made in China so once again taking away USA jobs and shipping them overseas to 3rd world filth who get paid slave wages at best.

Old January 2nd, 2009 #17
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

I use compact flourescents and LEDs in my house. I haven't purchased an incandescent bulb in years.

Old January 2nd, 2009 #18
reactionary

If you have dimmer wall switches you'll have to replace them too
if you want to use compact flourescents.

Old January 2nd, 2009 #19
Sam Reeves
Happy Bigot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faust View Post
I have changed every bulb in my house to pigtails. My electric bill the first month dropped by 30 bucks. They have since payed for themselves and I have not had to change one of them yet (going on 7 months now). I personally hate having BRIGHT lights in the house at night. During they day I have enough windows to keep me from even needing to turn on the lights.
$30 a month from just light bulbs? What is that around a 3500 sq ft house?

That tells me some asshole was BUTTHURT by my post.

Old January 6th, 2009 #20
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

i love the fluor bulbs but only phasing them in as old ones burn out. also you have to get them at best prices or the recoup takes a long time.

I'm for em but why ban the incandescents? no reason, except that some lobbyist bribed somebody into phasing such a stupid rule into being, prolly

Thread