VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 9th, 2016 #1
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Canadian Green Party votes to support boycott of Israel

Canada's Green Party voted on Sunday to support the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement against Israel, despite the opposition of party leader Elizabeth May.

The vote followed a heated debate over Israel during the final plenary session of the party's national convention in Ottawa, according to reports in the Canadian media.

“I’m deeply disappointed,” May said after the vote. “The party policy on this issue is a position I can’t support,” she said, calling BDS tactics ineffective and “polarizing."

Opinions among Greens were sharply divided. “I’ve never felt prouder to be a member of this party,” said Dimitri Lascaris, the party’s justice critic who tabled the motion.

“We took a brave stand today for human rights,” he said, despite facing accusations of anti-Semitism. He added some Jewish delegates supported the position.

Richard Zurawski, a past Green candidate, called the BDS vote “distressing” and “destructive for

read full article at source: http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/americas/1.735869

Thread