VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 13th, 2012 #21
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
Laughing so hard at Akins that I think I broke muh corkle.
I'm very proud of my McCorkle ancestors.

Here is my son and I at the grave of my 5th great grandfather, Stephen McCorkle, who was born in 1735 and was one of the early settlers of Mecklenburg Co., North Carolina:

The home built before 1821 by his son and namesake, Stephen McCorkle, in Rock Hill, South Carolina, is still standing and is on the National Register of Historical Places:

Old July 13th, 2012 #22
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
Grayson........proper name - goes by the name of Grady. I really don't like the name "Greg", btw - it's the name of my wagon burner brother in law, and Gregory is a middle name that has been overused in my paternal side of the family.
I don't really like it either, but it's still a name. Grayson might be a last name, but it's not a first name. Unless you're a Southerner, but even then, it sounds so awful I would never inflict that on someone.

Quote:
Lucian? Yes, I am of German descent, my maternal great grandmother came over on a boat - and he was concieved while we LIVED in Germany. So FUCK YOU.
He's not a German though. He's an American. You have no reason not to call him Matt or Matthew. America is not Germany.

Quote:
As far as "Imagining" what they are - for real, Alex, I don't imagine their names are doing "anything" beyond being a name with personal / family significance.

Sorry it doesn't link up with Alexander........The Great. Just sayin.
Just telling you what others will think, you don't have like it. I could be wrong, but...I'm usually not.

Old July 13th, 2012 #23
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I don't find that more names adds anything, if anything it's occasionally impractical. Even three names doesn't really seem necessary. How relevant are any middle names? They appear on a form or two, but you never use them. I think ancestry should get some consideration, but so should practicality. The name doesn't make the man, the man makes the name. The name can sometimes get in the man's way, though.

Part I think is hard is that if you detest christianity and most British cultural patterns, as I do, you certainly don't want to use any of their monikers. Between the christian names, Irish names, and white-trash names, you start to run out of option. It is very unfortunate that many German names are either ugly (Horst, for example) or just don't work in English. And per my comments to AA, I think it's wrong to try to bodily drag a 'new' ethnic name into English and make it happen, like the Irish would do with Seamus or Padraig or Siobhan or Declan or the 1001 others. You won't agree, but to me, there's not a dime's worth of difference between Scots-English-Irish, it's all the same. There are just very, very few German names that can be effectively and reasonably used in Anglo lands. If you can't go German, maybe go Greek. I'm not a big fan of my own name, which has become much more common the last few years, but at least it's Greek and not christian or british. It's kind of sad to see Eva or Ava become adopted by white trash, as I actually think that is a good German female name that works in English. Otto is a good male name, but not used these days. You can be a great man with the name Otto. It's simple, and it's ethnic. And unlike all the weak-ass Irish names, it's strong. And omigod do the middle-class wetters hate it. But when you're sitting in class with 1500 ryans and 3500 seans and 800 ians and 50 kierans and 25 declans... you will be the only Otto.
In the case of my Alexander family, it was very much a Scottish surname, the Alexanders were at one time Earls of Stirling, and it was a natural choice as my eldest son's first name. The stereotypical Scotsman bears the nickname "Sandy", which is itself a diminutive form of Alexander - just as the stereotypical Irishman is nick-named "Paddy" (diminutive of Patrick), and the stereotypical Welshman is nick-named "Taffy" (diminutive of David).

My first name, Steven, originated from the Greek language as well, but my Stevens ancestors certainly weren't Greek.

Old July 13th, 2012 #24
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

I say it's worth pondering the probable influence of schmucky names on the average amerikwan kid's chances of going queer.

Lucian, anyone?

Old July 13th, 2012 #25
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Wagahuski View Post
I say it's worth pondering the probable influence of schmucky names on the average amerikwan kid's chances of going queer.
The current list of top 10 names according to Social Security:

Boys:

1.Jacob - Oy Vey, could you get more Jewish?
2.Mason - sounds very, Masonic...
3.William
4.Jayden - realllyyy? That's like, soooooooooo gay!
5.Noah - again with the Jews!
6.Michael - more Jews!!
7.Ethan - as in Allen???
8.Alexander
9.Aiden
10.Daniel - enough with the Jew names already!

Girls:

1.Sophia
2.Isabella
3.Emma
4.Olivia
5.Ava
6.Emily
7.Abigail
8.Madison
9.Mia
10.Chloe

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; July 13th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Old July 13th, 2012 #26
George Mann

Quote:

Lucian, anyone?
How about the name Damien Sandow (born Aaron Steven Haddad, intellectual wrestler, most likely straight)?

Old July 13th, 2012 #27
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
I don't really like it either, but it's still a name. Grayson might be a last name, but it's not a first name. Unless you're a Southerner, but even then, it sounds so awful I would never inflict that on someone.

He's not a German though. He's an American. You have no reason not to call him Matt or Matthew. America is not Germany.

Just telling you what others will think, you don't have like it. I could be wrong, but...I'm usually not.
Arthur (Grayson's middle name) is old school english - and so is the name Grayson. Putting a modern name with an antiquated name, meh - don't like it. Of course, I am a traditionalist - guilty.

Our children are of German descent, as am I and my wife. We LIVED in Germany for several years, immersed ourselves in the culture, and learned a bit of the language (enough to murder it - I'm not good with learning languages). He was concieved in Germany - after several years of trying. His conception was very special to us, and in a special place to us - hence the German variation.

Honestly, what most people "think" about their names isn't important beyond the academic argument about them.....which is what we are doing now. There are times when a child's name will just happen to be "obstensious" or "trendy" but still have a traditional and personal meaning to them. Just because a name is "trendy" at the time, does it mean that any and all family significance should be ignored?

Also, don't forget, names become trendy *after* you may name you child. Hayden is a prime example. That name was virtually unheard of when we named our first born. 10 years later, however, and it became immensely popular (much to our disgust and dismay) - because there would be "guilt by association" like is being displayed here.

Look up "trendy and popular names" for the 1990's. Hayden - a name with MUCH family significance (not to mention his middle name) was virtually unheard of. The same applies to all of our children.

And......even if a name happens to be picked purely on "popularity" - as long as it is a historically white name - what difference does it really make?

There is a difference between Lucian, Hayden, Alexander........and Bomqueesha, Le-a (Ledasha - the "-" don't be silent), and Deshawnda. The former are traditional names (even if based in antiquity), the latter are made up names that are based upon absolutely NOTHING.

Old July 13th, 2012 #28
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:

Lucian, anyone?
Lucian's coming over for dinner! I've ordered up a suckling pig and a carload of fat young boys.

(homage-allusion to Hunter S. Thompson for those whose readin's! have not eclipsed Dr. Seuss)

Old July 13th, 2012 #29
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:

Lucian, anyone?

So - what you are saying is that faggotry is "social construct"? I hate to tell you, but there is absolutely ZERO chance that ANY amount of "social influence" could make me suck dick. I'm sure most members here would agree with me. Sorry if you are so weak willed a person to "experiment" because "everybody else is doing it" or "people don't like my name".

Either you like dicks, or you do not like dicks. It's that simple, fucktard. Now, the exact reason a person likes (or licks in your case) dicks is up for debate. Genetic? Mental? Horomonal? What's your reason of licking dicks? Your mommy and daddy not love you enough as a child?

Fuck you, Cocktractor. Look up the origins of the name, Brick Lane Boy.

Old July 13th, 2012 #30
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Alex, do you even know how the name Lucian is pronounced? Oh, btw - he goes by the American version of Luke. Once again - there's personal significance that has NOTHING to do with the fucking jews or bible. Sometimes, things coencide.

Like the computer you, Alex, are using right now, and the internet service you are using (and quite possibly this very server). Care to argue SEMITICS (pun intented)?

Where was your computer made? Where are the majority of the parts produced? Who is the parent company (and affiliates) of the web provider? Who did they buy their servers off of? Who is the sales manager of that company? See where this is going?

Old July 13th, 2012 #31
Simmon

So I would suspect that the person he was writing about was a fag?

Old July 13th, 2012 #32
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmon View Post
Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue - YouTube

So I would suspect that the person he was writing about was a fag?
I always wondered if that song was written about John Wayne, who real first name was Marion, once a popular boy's given name in honor of the Revolutionary War hero Francis "Swamp Fox" Marion.

One of my great-great grandfathers was named after him, an Irish-American by the name of Francis Marion Stacks:

He always went by "Frank", though I have a feeling no one would have teased him about his real name.

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; July 13th, 2012 at 06:34 PM.

Old July 13th, 2012 #33
Frank Randall

Quote:
It's a class thing. If they could understand what they're doing, they wouldn't do it. But they can't.
"A class thing"?

That is as rich as a butcher's turd, quite frankly.

I do not know what passes for class where you come from but trying to take the piss out of the names of comrades' children in a shabby attempt to liven up your board is not my idea of class. In fact this is more akin to the actions of a Jewish shill.

This place is an enigma to me. I see some fine writers here but a lot of what is said here puts me in mind of white niggers.

I am appalled.

Old July 13th, 2012 #34
P.E.
Geriatric Coalburner

The man makes the name, not the other way around.

Parents who give their children names that are way out of left field are demonstrating insecurity and desires for cheap attention.

Then there are niggers, who just name their kids after whatever snack she happened to get out of the hospital vending machine.

And how much more prestigious is it when you are just another 'Mark', but the one everyone thinks of first when they hear the name.

Old July 13th, 2012 #35
Simmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
I always wondered if that song was written about John Wayne, who real first name was Marion, once a popular boy's given name in honor of the Revolutionary War hero Francis "Swamp Fox" Marion.

One of my great-great grandfathers was named after him, an Irish-American by the name of Francis Marion Stacks:

He always went by "Frank", though I have a feeling no one would have teased him about his real name.
It very well might have been.Like someone else said 'the name does not make the man,its the other way around.'

Old July 13th, 2012 #36
Rick Ronsavelle

Default #29

Richard Dix Cox.

Old July 13th, 2012 #37
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ronsavelle View Post
Richard Dix Cox.
Paging a "Big Dick" Smoker.

Old July 13th, 2012 #38
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Sometimes the name does suit the man:

Old July 13th, 2012 #39
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
Sometimes the name does suit the man:

Can't rep you again.

Old July 13th, 2012 #40
N.B. Forrest

If it sounds like a last name, don't use it as a first name: "Oh look - there goes Macaulay Jeremiah Bumpass, of the Sunnyvale Trailer Park Bumpasses!"

Tags
#1, babies, baby, names

Thread