Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 8th, 2005 #1
Steve B
Banned

Default Good website chocked full of great stuff.

http://www.donrearic.com/main.html

Old April 8th, 2005 #2
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Thanks Steve, great website!

“More than one, get a gun.”

- Rorion Gracie

Old April 8th, 2005 #3
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

I'll have to try this, spring is here and IDPA and IPSC matches are starting up again......

Trigger Squeeze

Consider this, "The Quick and Dirty Guide to a perfect trigger squeeze.

You’ve heard it all before, "the key to good shooting is squeezing and not pulling the trigger...

Well, that is very true. When you dry fire, please make sure that the firearm is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction. Physically unload the weapon and verify visually that the weapon is unloaded and the chamber is empty, and physically with the tip of the little finger inserted into the chamber.

Now, when dry firing, you can use a "Snap-Cap" to make sure you do not damage certain types of firearms. Use of the Snap-Cap, merely going through the motions of inserting it will also be safer. If the Snap-Cap is in the chamber, you know nothing else is.

With a Revolver, you will need 5 or 6 Snap-Caps, depending on the specific model, 7 if you are practicing with newer Smith & Wesson .357 Magnums.

If you are practicing for Defensive purposes, practice on Double Action Only with the revolver.

Semi-Automatics are something else entirely. A Glock will have to have the slide manually operated every time the trigger is depressed.

A Single Action Semi-Automatic like 1911s and variants as well as the Browning Hi-Power will have to be thumb-cocked every time.

Double Action Semi-Automatics like the Sig-Sauer in this picture, you can practice the Double Action Stroke which is harder to master than the Single Action. You can also practice the Single Action on pistols like these by thumb-cocking them, but in general, if you can shoot them well on Double Action, that will carry over to Single Action. It has for me personally.

Again, make sure the firearm is unloaded and use a Snap-Cap if you can to take it easy on the firearm and for safety reasons.

Raise the firearm up to chest level with the barrel parallel to the floor and place a dime right behind the front sight, center it.

Now, bring the firearm up to eye level.

Now, squeeze slow, even and steady. Watch what happens.

If the dime immediately falls off, you have your work cut out for you. If you can dry fire about six rounds, that’s good. Get to where you can do a minimum of twelve rounds in a row. Then you can speed up the squeeze.

After this, move to a nickel or a quarter. This becomes even more tricky and the coin will be very sensitive to your movement. There is more metal [in the coin] hanging over the flattened balance point, therefore, it is easier to drop one of these coins.

Repeat the whole procedure just like you did with the dime.

Move up to half dollars and then the full size "silver" dollar [most are not silver anymore after 1965, but...]

These will be the hardest because you have even more metal hanging over the edges of the slide/barrel.

I’m sort of waffling on this point, the dime is hard as well because they are very thin. I’ve lost track a long, long time ago as to which is the hardest. I just use both now.

You might find if you are locked in, rock solid that you can dry fire with a Double Action trigger up to 30 times in a row. Maybe you are better than I am and you can do more than that.

Eventually, because of the natural vibration of the firearm being dry fired, sooner or later, the coin will teeter and fall. That’s just natural. Not your fault.

You can practice strong hand, weak hand and both hands obviously, and you should. I use a slight [Cirillo] cant when I shoot weak handed and obviously, you cannot practice that with a coin balanced on the slide/barrel. Just get your weak hand’s trigger finger trained and then when you actually shoot, if you use this technique like I do, practice it live fire on the range.

I should not have to say this, but I have to nowadays. The Internet is a HUGE world. DO NOT practice unless you follow the safety rules, step by step. If you’re a kid and some family member owns firearms, etc., that’s fine. Don’t do this, OK? If you think it is neat, then show it to the Adult who owns the firearms and then follow the safety rules and then give it a spin if you like to shoot. I am not responsible for anything unsafe [STUPID] that you do with this material.

And that concludes The Quick & Dirty Guide to trigger squeeze!

Old April 8th, 2005 #4
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

another good essay. excellent insights. full agreement.

http://www.donrearic.com/streetreality.html

Old April 8th, 2005 #5
Sean Martin

Good site a lot of good articles on self-defense. I don’t agree with everything he has to say but he has a lot of good information. I especially liked the Bruce Tegner book plug on stick fighting.

He made a lot of references I made in this thread, especially about the Tegner books and the G Liddy fighting rings account.

http://www.vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=17051

We must have had a lot of the same training or interests.

Old April 8th, 2005 #6
Rob Roy MacGregor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B
Great site! I've just killed two hours on it.

Tolerance is how far a mechanical part can deviate from the
norm before it screws up the entire machine.
– Any Mechanic

The Jews hate us because of our FREEDOM!

Holocaust® is a registered trademark of "G-d's chosen" predestined to "Rule the Earth".
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Old April 8th, 2005 #7
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacDonald
Great site! I've just killed two hours on it.
Yeah Mac, it is kind of addictive isn't it!

Here is another good site, you and AE may have already heard of it but I'll post it for those that haven't.

Brigade Quartermasters, for all your shopping needs.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/ta...alog/index.tam

Old April 8th, 2005 #8
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

I used to get that catalog but the stuff was too expensive in general.

Here is the place with prices hard to beat on general shooting crap:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/default.asp

between that and an occasional shotgun news you dont need to consult much else for cheap prices on ammo.

I used to blow through a shitload of ammo, now I have less time to fool around so I try and make my practice count

anyhow here is a sample of the wide variety of stuff they list: corbon ammo

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/d...U04QB8KL6GC735

put this $8 shiv up yer sleeve:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...U04QB8KL6GC735

Old April 8th, 2005 #9
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

here's what I like. a very innocuous folder. innocuous is important if you have to use it and then it gets investigated or you get put on trial. "scary" knives will be used by the prosecutor as evidence of criminal intent. you want a knife that is a tool which you simply used when you were in fear of your life and had to defend yourself.

it's cheap. $4. this is good for the following reasons.

1- ever loose a knife? I've lost at least five in my life. them and sunglasses. always get cheap so it doesnt matter if you loose em.

2- ever have to ditch a knife? I havent of late since I am such a polite and upstanding member of society, but you never know if it's the kind of thing you've got in your pocket but suddenly feel would be best to, er, disappear. the cheapness of the thing will help you not hesitate to ditch it for your own good.

3- if you have to use it for a tool, like to cut up some boxes, or something, and you ruin the edge, who cares? just get another to keep "for emergencies"

4- variation on 2 and 3-- if you have to use it for defense, for medical reasons alone you should get rid of it.

5- cheap so you can buy 2 or 3 and always have one on hand, in the car, etc.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...U04QB8KL6GC735

Thread