VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 12th, 2009 #21
Gabry Ponte
Banned

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-who-billed-me

The Spy Who Billed Me

In the post-9/11 rush to beef up intelligence, the government has outsourced everything from spy satellites to covert operations -- and well-connected companies are cashing in.

—By Tim Shorrock

January/February 2005 Issue
A small crowd files past a sign reading “Career Fair Today” at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C. An American flag and a cluster of colorful balloons flutter in the breeze. But inside, it quickly becomes clear that this is no ordinary job fair. Everybody, from the well-dressed applicants to the stern-faced recruiters, wears a badge reading “Secret” or “Top Secret.” That’s because this event is open only to candidates with an intelligence background and a government security clearance -- the more high-level, the better.

Many of the 5,517 jobs available have something to do with the global war on terror or the occupation of Iraq. One recruiter has a position open for an “Iraq Counterterrorism Analyst.” Another is looking for personnel to “conduct interrogations of detainees” in Iraq. There is a job in Baghdad for a senior intelligence analyst and several in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, for intelligence analysts experienced in “counter-terrorism, threat analysis, and counter-narcotics.” One job looks formidable: a “deputy site manager” is needed in Baghdad to supervise “1,500-2,000 linguists providing interpreter-translator service to a 140,000-member deployed U.S. military force conducting counter-insurgency, stabilization and nation building operations.”

There’s only one thing missing: the U.S. government. Every one of these jobs is being advertised by a private company -- one of hundreds of firms that contract with the Central Intelligence Agency, the National Security Agency, or the Pentagon to provide everything from urine testers to supervisors of clandestine operations overseas. The people hired for these jobs may be doing government work in Washington or Baghdad, but they will be paid by firms such as the international consulting giant Booz Allen Hamilton or CACI International, one of the companies whose employees were implicated in prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib.

The job fair is being sponsored by IntelligenceCareers.com, a recruitment firm headed by William D. Golden, a former Army intelligence officer. Golden says his company can hardly keep up with the demand for intelligence contractors. “The government has become addicted to the use of private industry in the world of intelligence,” he says. “In fact, they’ve made a science of it.” Indeed they have. A CIA official interviewed for this story wouldn’t say how much of the agency’s work is done by private companies, but admitted that outsourcing has increased substantially since 2001. Of the estimated $40 billion the United States is expected to spend on intelligence this year, experts say at least 50 percent will go to private contractors.

Yet as Americans learn more about the role of intelligence contractors from Afghanistan (where a contractor has been charged in connection with the death of a detainee) to Guantanamo (where Lockheed Martin has supplied interrogators, according to the trade publication Federal Times), critics are beginning to question whether private companies should be in the business of handling some of the government’s most sensitive work. Steven Aftergood, director of the Project on Government Secrecy at the Federation of American Scientists, believes that the kind of military intelligence work contracted to CACI, Titan Corp., and other companies is particularly ripe for problems because intelligence agencies “operate under unusual authority.” He adds: “I don’t think the current oversight system is equipped to monitor the activities of contractors. That is one of the central lessons of the Abu Ghraib affair.”

Like the defense industry, the intelligence business is driven by a network of lobbyists and a web of close connections between government and the private sector. But unlike the arms industry, intelligence contractors operate in a world where budgets are classified and many activities -- from covert operations to foreign eavesdropping -- are conducted in secret. Even the bidding for intelligence contracts is often classified. As a result, there is virtually no oversight of the intelligence community and its corporate partners. That was one of the central findings of the 9/11 commission, which called congressional supervision of intelligence and counterterrorism “dysfunctional.”

The outsourcing revolution began with the end of the Cold War, when hundreds of intelligence jobs were eliminated, and quickened in the mid-1990s under Vice President Al Gore’s Reinventing Government initiative. Sensing a niche, information technology companies like CACI and Titan began hiring retired intelligence employees and contracting them back to the agencies they had once worked for; their business boomed after 9/11, when the intelligence community found itself awash in money and desperate to catch up.

Today, the ties between intelligence agencies and the private sector are so close, it’s sometimes hard to tell the difference. Joan Dempsey, a former CIA deputy director, recently -- and approvingly -- referred to consulting firm Booz Allen as “the shadow intelligence community.” Three of Booz Allen’s current and former vice presidents previously served as intelligence agency directors, including James Woolsey, who headed the CIA during the Clinton administration. Connections with the private sector are especially close at the NSA, where outsourcing has grown rapidly. Former NSA director William Studeman is now a vice president of Northrop Grumman, and Barbara McNamara, a former deputy director, is on the board of CACI. After leaving government, these officials keep their high-level security clearances, which makes them extremely valuable to their new employers. “You can’t do anybusiness without having the clearances,” says John Pike of GlobalSecurity.org, a Virginia- based think tank. “How else would you know about the contracts?”

The lines separating contractors from agencies are so blurred that at the leading trade association -- the Security Affairs Support Association (SASA) -- 8 of 20 board members are current government officials. The association represents about 125 intelligence contractors, including Boeing, CACI, General Dynamics, and Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC). Retired Air Force Lt. General Kenneth Minihan, its president and chairman, is yet another former director of the NSA. As a nonprofit, SASA is barred from lobbying, but it frequently sponsors events where government and corporate officials mingle, and it provides infor- mation to members of Congress. “We use the term ‘advocacy,’” says Frank Blanco, SASA’s executive vice president.

Intelligence contractors themselves, meanwhile, have fielded armies of lobbyists to keep the money flowing; according to the Project on Government Oversight, Lockheed Martin spent $47 million on outside lobbying between 1997 and 2004, while another company, SAIC, spent $8.6 million and CSC spent $3.3 million. Lockheed Martin has also hired Joe Allbaugh, who managed the 2000 Bush campaign, to lobby for its rapidly growing intelligence division. And the companies are showering key members of Congress with contributions: The top contributor to Duncan Hunter (R-Ca.), chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, is Titan Corp. Over at the Senate Intelligence Committee, Chairman Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) received $14,000, almost half of his PAC intake in 2004, from six key contractors.

Most of the big players in the intelligence business have set up shop within shouting distance of SASA’s offices on the National Business Parkway in Annapolis Junction, Maryland -- just blocks from the gleaming headquarters of the NSA. One large building bears the logo of Boeing, the prime contractor for the nation’s spy satellite system; the next complex houses CSC and Logicon, the information technology unit of Northrop Grumman. Together, in 2001, the companies won a $2 billion contract to modernize the NSA’s information systems; the day the project began, more than 600 government workers were instantly transformed into private contractors. Next door sits the brand-new headquarters for Titan, whose earnings have surged due to its contract with the U.S. Army to supply translators and provide support for the military’s unmanned spy planes. Across the street is Booz Allen, one of the prime contractors for the Trailblazer project, a huge effort to overhaul the NSA’s top-secret signals intelligence capabilities. Booz Allen and SAIC are doing research for the project under a $280 million “technology demonstration platform” contract, and few doubt that the NSA will award the final, much larger contract to the same companies. That troubles analysts, who say that allowing contractors to write the specs for their own future deals -- as Halliburton did in Iraq -- is a conflict of interest. That task “should remain within the agencies,” says Aftergood. (Booz Allen, like other contractors contacted for this article, would not comment on its intelligence work.)

But with the contracting boom continuing unchecked, such controls are unlikely -- which means, says Pike of GlobalSecurity.org, that America’s spy network could soon resemble NASA’s mission control room in Houston. “Most people, when they see that room, think they’re looking at a bunch of NASA people,” Pike notes. “But it’s 90 percent contractors.”

Old October 13th, 2009 #22
Gabry Ponte
Banned

The mafia is like a PMC and a Private Intell Service. Except that it is a criminal entity without rules, borders, or laws to abide by.

Typically large mafia groups also buy real companies to wash their money. They also buy legit companies to make more money. They undercut the competition because they are subsidizing products or services from money gained by illegal activities. That kills the competition and drives everyone else out of business. Then they can raise prices and make even more money.

If a WN org that operated similar to an organized crime group were to also own several private security companies that would be the start of enabling change in the European political arena. Any of the major PMC's operating in the Middle East can crush most of the armies of Eastern Europe. Did you know that the 1400 Russian troops stationed in the break away Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic are too much for the entire armed forces of Moldova. lol. That is how weak and pathetic some small European countries are.

But the mafia has learned that it is more profitable to work inside the state then to fight it directly. WN must infiltrate and coerce the governments of Europe and put into place a new government step by step. If they operate using proven tactics like the Italians have, then it is not very difficult. Region by region "elected" officials will be placed into power. Enemies will be shut down, and slowly the country will change to a WN state. The press will be bought or controlled, and obstacles will be overcome as described in the previous posts.

These are just ideas of fiction. I am in no way or form condoning or instructing any illegal activities.

Old October 13th, 2009 #26
Gabry Ponte
Banned

Interesting note: After WWII many Waffen SS and Nazi soldiers went to work as mercenaries for various Middle Eastern and African governments. Otto Skorzeny provided training for them as well. There is an Italian film that has clips of actual mercenaries fighting. It;'s called Africa Addio. You can watch it free on Google video.

Old October 13th, 2009 #27
Gabry Ponte
Banned

This video clip contains EX Waffen SS officers fighting as mercenaries in Africa.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old October 13th, 2009 #28
Gabry Ponte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny View Post
Gabry Ponte = DELUSIONAL

For god's skae have you seen his threads about Gypsy Hunting and Poisoning gypsies with rat poison this guy has no life at all, all he does is stay online all day long and fantasize stuff, besides I read the text and let me tell you that idea is retarded no one in Europe will allow you do and implement that kind of thing.

Gabry Ponte is a teenager who wastes his time online and comes up with unreal and retarded ideas all the time and if you people take him seriously then you really have a problem, plus the last thing I saw on the forum was him getting banned.
It seems that my joke about killing gypsys as a sport was disturbing for you. It was savage maybe? I am glad. I also find the thought of gypsys stealing cookies laced with rat poison hilarious. Maybe someone in Romania or Hungary will read this post and get ideas. I hope they put it on youtube so I can post it for you gypsy lover. Tonny sounds like a gypsy name.

Old October 14th, 2009 #29
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabry Ponte View Post

So Donald from Ohio, maybe you should learn about something instead of speaking out of your ass. That is the modus operandi or WN. Talking out their asses when they don;t fucking know what they are discussing.

The name is Donnie, and I'll thank you to STFU troll.

What is with posting in bold? Over 900 posts in a month, and you were banned for a week of that.

A sincere WTF, dude?

Your copy & paste mittyesque fantasy bullshit is a fucking joke.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; October 14th, 2009 at 05:22 AM.

Old October 14th, 2009 #30
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Makes one wonder when a poster comes here and attacks long time posters in such a vile manner as this loser has done. I've put it on ignore.

Old October 14th, 2009 #31
Gabry Ponte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post

What is with posting in bold? Over 900 posts in a month, and you were banned for a week of that.

A sincere WTF, dude?

Your copy & paste mittyesque fantasy bullshit is a fucking joke.
You can never add anything but silly comments. You and your butt buddy OTTPP have been stroking each others cocks so long you forgot how to make posts of your own. Why don't you and OTTPPEEPEE do something extraordinary...start your own threads. Wow. A new concept. But you don't have ideas of your own so you must continue to leach off others. Leaching off others is parasitic. A behavior that zions children often adopt. I type in bold because I know how much you and your butt patrol Rounder and OTPEPE love it. BTW, Rounder just said hail to the brown muzzies. You guys are starting to get sick from breathing all those fumes during your lawn mower races in Rounders yard. Wear a mask or something. You are losing the few brain cells god gave you.

Old October 14th, 2009 #32
Gabry Ponte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
Makes one wonder when a poster comes here and attacks long time posters in such a vile manner as this loser has done. I've put it on ignore.
Let's be honest pisshead. You exist to troll my posts. You can not help your little self. It is that little man inside your head again telling you to do things. Doctors call it mental illness. You can never ignore me. Without me what would you write about. You an I both know you are not intelligent enough to write about anything of your own. Lawn mower racer.

Old October 14th, 2009 #33
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabry Ponte View Post
You can never add anything but silly comments. You and your butt buddy OTTPP have been stroking each others cocks so long you forgot how to make posts of your own. Why don't you and OTTPPEEPEE do something extraordinary...start your own threads. Wow. A new concept. But you don't have ideas of your own so you must continue to leach off others. Leaching off others is parasitic. A behavior that zions children often adopt. I type in bold because I know how much you and your butt patrol Rounder and OTPEPE love it. BTW, Rounder just said hail to the brown muzzies. You guys are starting to get sick from breathing all those fumes during your lawn mower races in Rounders yard. Wear a mask or something. You are losing the few brain cells god gave you.
Boiler plate ad hominem attacks. You just cut and paste and plug in names as necessary.

If you're not a filthy kike troll I'm not White. No White man talks about "stroking cocks" as much as you do and that seems to be foremost in your mind. Project much? No White man would attack long time posters in such a vile manner as you have done. Anyone that can't see beyond your facade is blind. Why you aren't banned is a mystery.

Old October 14th, 2009 #34
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Anyone that can't see beyond your facade is blind. Why you aren't banned is a mystery.
Put him in tard stocks I say.
That way the villagers can amuse themselves by pelting him with rotten veggies and poking him with sticks.

On a side note he kinda reminds me of sean(duck)martin another shrill but BOLD poster.

Old October 14th, 2009 #35
Gabry Ponte
Banned

I guess you are not white then. The only reason I even post about you is because you constantly follow me like a bitch. You have always trolled my posts. You know it very well. What I have learned about you is that you are not only a loser but you are not very intelligent either. I don't know if the lack of intelligence is making you rude or if your parents never taught you how to behave. But there are major charactor flaws with you.
Just because you are a "long time" poster doesn't mean anything. Black Dave is a long time poster. Take a look at your posts. They all bite off of someone elses thread. You can't even come up with threads of your own. You are the red neck peanut gallery. You just stand outside the liquor store and make comments about people going in and out. That is your miserable life. Beavis and Butthead. That is what you and Rounder are. And you think you are smart lol. If you two like to stroke each other that is not my business. But it is evident. Beavis and Butthead...OTTP and Rounder. Same thing.

Quote:
Boiler plate ad hominem attacks. You just cut and paste and plug in names as necessary.

If you're not a filthy kike troll I'm not White. No White man talks about "stroking cocks" as much as you do and that seems to be foremost in your mind. Project much? No White man would attack long time posters in such a vile manner as you have done. Anyone that can't see beyond your facade is blind. Why you aren't banned is a mystery.

Old October 14th, 2009 #36
OTPTT
Banned

Gabry Ponte: Potty Mouth Poser.

Old October 14th, 2009 #37
Gabry Ponte
Banned

Quote:
Gabry Ponte: Potty Mouth Poser.
Ok little boy. Is your mommy not changing your diapers anymore? Is that way you are angry? Like I said before. You have the intellect of a 3rd grader. Mental Midget.

Old October 14th, 2009 #38
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
Put him in tard stocks I say.
That way the villagers can amuse themselves by pelting him with rotten veggies and poking him with sticks.

On a side note he kinda reminds me of sean(duck)martin another shrill but BOLD poster.
The bold font alone should qualify him for Sergeant at Arms of the vaunted Tard Corral.

Old October 14th, 2009 #39
Thomas de Aynesworth
Banned

Why is this thread here?

Old October 14th, 2009 #40
varg

Probably because it's Alex's forum and he posted it here. Would be my first guess

Thread