VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 20th, 2012 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Vocabulary book

Decided to get going on this, which I've mentioned before. It's an idea for a unique type of vocabulary book. I'm mentioning it here in case any of you want to suggest words. In the book I will be not just explaining the meaning of words and using them in sentences, but showing historical, literary and, most important, comedic/ironic/twisted uses of the words. I might even make a few million political points, considering the meta-point is to inculcate in white (children) the ability to use words to destroy stupid arguments and the retarded parrots who make them.

I begin by collecting 1000+ words, most of which I have, but I can always use more, and will eventually whittle. I'm not looking for obsolete words or jargon but for solid words at a certain level. The point is not to collect obscure words for obscurity's braggy sake, but to pull out real and solid words most people are less familiar with but can, once they learn them, actually use. Thus, words of a certain level.

Here's a good sample.

cynosure
locus
excogitations
philistine
sans culottes
gallimaufry
elixir
efflorescence
friable
frangible
fungible
furfuraceous
flocculent
puissance
prepotent
preternatural
trenchant
prosaic
pedestrian
pedantic
bellwether
harbinger
foment
prescience
minatory
gravid
parturient
pristine
precocious
portent
inured
bedizen
tenets
prima facie
probity
veracious
cavalcade
gipe
engender
superfluous
abstruse

So you see many of these words are just slightly less than common, but it's all about the use, not the obscurity or snob value.

You are welcome to thrown in any good words you think of. Chances are I already have it here (I have about 750 right now) but possibly not. If it works, I will use it. Anything i can turn to humor or other 'twisted' usage is best, as these are a little harder to come by. (I will not try the mistaken route Bryant took in making a joke from every term, rather show ways that it can be used beyond denotatively - artistically sums it up, what I'm going to impart to the learner.)

I'm also looking for literary uses of these words. If you have a good citation/quotation, feel free to post it.

What I do not want and will erase from this thread are laundry lists of words. No more than three words per post, and no links, except to document a use in quotation.

Old March 20th, 2012 #2
Alex Linder
Administrator

This book just might include some invented words, whether by me or people I know, stuck in there at random. It might include false etymologies, too. Those will make the meta-meta point that you have to read on the tips of your toes. Stay low, don't get beat.

Old March 20th, 2012 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

"Paranoid is such an ugly word," said Bryllton, a smile just possibly enuppening the corners of his horizontalian facial aperture. "I like to call myself 'circumspicious.'"

Old March 20th, 2012 #4
Steven L. Akins
Banned

A few words that you might include:

herald

egregious

obtuse

droll

dour

ephiphany

consummate

philtre

cabal

esoteric

If I happen to think of any others, I'll add to the list as they pop into my head.

Old March 20th, 2012 #5
Soldatul Vostru
Banned

Alex said no more than three words per post. You may want to edit your post before it gets deleted.

Old March 20th, 2012 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldatul Vostru View Post
Alex said no more than three words per post. You may want to edit your post before it gets deleted.
Yeah. I don't want laundry lists of words. Just some indication that there's a reason for a particular word, if you have one.

Old March 21st, 2012 #7
Alex Linder
Administrator

[sheet #6]

dissimulate
abattoir
ignominy
amorphous
lithe
sharper
porcine
limacene
diaphonous
improvident
suckpoop
malinger
apoplectic
abominable
tawdry
ephemeral
innoculous
modicum
ornate
virago
fishwife
termagant
mellifluous
mellisonant
monomaniacal
siren
sodality
avoirdupois
virtuoso
shibboleth
ophidian
elan
corprophagus
camaraderie
soporific
thaumaturgy
necromancy
shaman
contretemps
marmoreal (40 words)

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 25th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Old March 21st, 2012 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

[more glorious words]

pilfer (just sounds sneaky)
filch (like pilfer, it just fits the act)
mulct (a glorious word, much underused, the typical perfect word you can't use in speech because people are fucking stupid pigs and will go duh...duh...mulch?...duh...duh...i never heard anyone say that word on a reality show i saw on my thin screen i got at walmart)
fortify (great word for comedy)
mephitic (great word for swamp, the cloud around anyone fat and greasy)
fetid (another great word)
mucilaginous (package snot, basically, too much for too little, like most greek-latin, hence perfect for the mock heroic overwriting, the nielsen vein that is the best comedic default, in my unhumble opinion)

Old March 21st, 2012 #9
Alex Linder
Administrator

glutinous (when icky gooey messy won't do, this sub will take their place. since writing is a form of music, and since anything can be said a million ways, many times word choice will be dictated by the number of syllables you require)
englutinate (grandiloquent for 'swallow,' this word just makes me happy, and i use it as often as old people gulp metamucil)
menagerie (the purpose of writing is to bejubilate the winsome and destroy the destructive - dummies and their stupidity. this is most often done by comparing them to animals; any collection of people you don't like is an undeclared zoo, as far as you're concerned, and you're playing undead Steve Irwin to it. "Look at these little blighters! Me thumb is experiencing a powerful itch to explore the inward side of their cloacas, ostensibly to sex them (in the non niggery sense of the term, (as far as you know)!)

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 21st, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Old March 21st, 2012 #10
Mr. Bowmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
[more great words]

dissimulate
abattoir
ignominy
amorphous
lithe
sharper
porcine
limacene
diaphonous
improvident
suckpoop
malinger
apoplectic
abominable
tawdry
ephemeral
innoculous
modicum
ornate
virago
fishwife
termagant
mellifluous
mellisonant
monomaniacal
siren
sodality
avoirdupois
virtuoso
shibboleth
ophidian
elan
corprophagus
camaraderie
soporific
thaumaturgy
necromancy
shaman
contretemps
marmoreal
Fishwife and suckpoop are great words?

Old March 21st, 2012 #11
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bowmont View Post
Fishwife and suckpoop are great words?
Yes, yes, yes? yes!

Old March 21st, 2012 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

Now, just because I like you people, well some of you, well a few of you, well the ones for whom my distaste remains unrecrudesced, quiescent, or in desuetude, I have created a new and glorious word, which is:

englsmith (pronounced [I]engel[I]smith, or inglesmith, as you prefer) It means:

an artist working in the medium of English.

This neolocution was inspired by Dahl's short-story pickpocket calling himself a 'fingersmith.'

Old March 21st, 2012 #13
Alex Linder
Administrator

spate (just a powerful simple noble righteous useful word, very easy to type too, which is an underrated word-virtue)
morontsia (is the opposite of...)
intelligentsia (the rare english word of russian origin)
arrant (means about what it sounds like, a good sort of hamburger helper word when you're setting up a power combo to take down some particular ignoramus' nostrum)
nescience (beautiful word, amost never seen in public, like an aging movie star; can be applied to anything someone thinks is true that aint, and, like arrant, useful in adjectival form, nescient, to pair with nonsense, nostrums, other 'n' words or nouns; truly a gem of a word, should be better known and more used)
arduous (average vocabulary book work, hence its inclusion; solid, unflashy word that can sub for many others, depending on your sound and syllable needs)
stridulate (it is always fruitful to compare your enemies to animals, and the best animals to compare them to are always found to be insects. insects have unique body parts and make unique noises represented by unique verbs like stridulate, a noise crickets make by rubbing their legs together. again, the only problem is that maybe 1/100 people knows what stridulate means, hence they miss the pleasure laughter provides when you use it.)

Old March 21st, 2012 #14
Alex Linder
Administrator

cacophony (bad noise; which means, in practical critical comedic terms, any noise you don't like - the talk, other bodily sounds, or music of your enemies)
stymie (a solid verb. not in a class with the solider thwart, but useful from time to place)

Old March 21st, 2012 #15
Alex Linder
Administrator

vassals (perhaps too simple for inclusion, but a useful sub for thralls, slaves, braindead idiots, serfs)
corporeal (a good magniloquent adjective when you're to discuss the physical body or parts of another; ie, corporeal charms of some woman)
vicarious (found in probably every vocab book ever existed; only interesting if you can get some untraditional effect off it.)
succulent (usually applied to food, better applied to women/sex)
loamy
replete
paralogic
sui generis
phonetics
unexampled (very useful word, much better than over- and misused 'unique')
mnemonic
crabbed
froward
herculean
expeditious
animism (whatever your opponent believes is witchcraft, or some other low form of religion from the black nigger's animism to the white nigger's christ-insanity; again, the entire reason man developed communication was to deceive people, to defame and destroy his enemies, and to discredit their stupid wrong and false ideas. Whites must be vicious verbally would they win.)
harlequin (never really been sure what this word means, but i like to type it)
expeditious (good for aping the pretentious, syllable-multiplying middle-classers, the bourgeois self-importants; ooh, don't you get a frisson off how close 'expeditious' is to 'executive.' you don't? then perhaps you aren't all bad. did you know that Jonathan Edwards' working title for his famous lecture was Sinners in the Hands of a Queasy Ogre? yeah. puts a whole different spin on it.)
manikin (another word i cant get a fix on, no matter how often i look it up; i just like its form, and it seems it should be useful)
suppositious (good word for when you're crediting your opponent with seeing ghosts; cluing your audience that the guy is making things up)
homely (emphasize the subordinate meanings of the word - ie, beyond the normal use - 'ugly as a mud fence with lizards on it.')
putative (one of a class of words i pay particular attention to - the class pointing up, implicitly or explicitly, that there's presentation and reality, and they may well be at odds)
infer (word too often used incorrectly to mean imply; but a good word, sub for 'conclude')

Old March 21st, 2012 #16
Alex Linder
Administrator

braggadocio
intimate (verb)
saccharine (non sugar use)
enlarge (old sense)
expatiate (one of a number of similar, has its uses)
sylvan (woodsy sub that fits better than others from time to time)
callipygian (look it up, win a prize)
steatopygian (perfect word, there is no substitute)
concomitant (solid, useful)
syncopation (never seen anyone but me use this non-musically but it truly does economically express a concept that can't be covered efficiently elsewise)
arboreal (your enemies are animals, and many animals live in trees, most notably monkeys; let the vocabularly of treedom enrich your schimpfing)

Old March 21st, 2012 #17
Rick Ronsavelle

innoculous seems to be not a word

execrable

execration

Old March 21st, 2012 #18
Alex Linder
Administrator

undeclared (this word is like comedic salt, it makes anything funny, even chris buckley -- well, at least in theory)

Old March 21st, 2012 #19
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ronsavelle View Post
innoculous seems to be not a word

execrable
yes, a good one and i've got it. when you're playing the hi-lo, and condescending to the newts as you dismiss their unnougaty nostrums, it's good to have some upper end adjectives, derived from latin and greek, pumped full of extra syllables, to effect the effect. just say yes to execrable.

you know, Execrabble would be a good board game - dirty scrabble.

Quote:
execration
I don't like this so much, it's just a bit confusing to me even tho i know what it means per definers. What I mean is, there are other and in my opinion better words for the same concept, and I actually find ~ off enough that I would not ever use it.

Any confusion in pickup is to be avoided, we are going for pure delight. If I'm reading Mencken as a teenager, say, and he uses a word I don't know, chances are I can vaguely guess meaning from context, and I have the delight of knowing that when I look it up, there will be a clear and intelligible meaning. That is, he doesn't cheat. Mencken's school is my school. The other school, where intelligibility is a consideration nonexistent or way down the list, I don't respect. Only reviewers and some professors go for that shit. They can have their 'incandescent' 'literature' all day long, it tastes lousy.

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 22nd, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Old March 21st, 2012 #20
Rick Ronsavelle

anathema

malediction

imprecation

Thread