VNN Broadcasts

Old February 28th, 2008 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default student knowledge

Survey Finds Teenagers Ignorant on Basic History and Literature Questions

By SAM DILLON
Published: February 27, 2008

Fewer than half of American teenagers who were asked basic history and literature questions in a phone survey knew when the Civil War was fought, and one in four said Columbus sailed to the New World some time after 1750, not in 1492.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/us...3b4&ei=5087%0A

Old October 18th, 2009 #2
COTW
Overseer

From HERE

One example among many.

(Houghton Mifflin, 2007)
Quote:

Now, we know that some corporate marketeer did not randomly choose this image from some conveniently available digital sampler of fine European portrait art. But I admit that my first reaction to it was not, as one might assume, to be angry or irritated, but rather to burst out laughing. The earnest "diversity" proselytizing packed into this choice of image, in this context, is so comically ham-handed, so imbecilic in its dishonesty, that it left me feeling rather cheery about an over-confident sloppiness, a real incompetence at the craft of propaganda, that could be a wee indicator of bad weather ahead for the guild of nation-wreckers.
This cheeriness is unwarranted, I know. Rule by imbeciles--and they still rule--does not end comically, and it's just a single textbook cover. Still, one takes one's laughs where one can.
- end of initial entry -

I'd like to see anybody justify this as appropriate.

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old July 6th, 2012 #3
KdS

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTW View Post
I'd like to see anybody justify this as appropriate.[/LEFT]
I believe the image justifies the importance of 'the organ grinders monkey'
to the creation of European Culture.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #4
Hunter Morrow

1 in 4 didn't know who Adolf Hitler was.

Quote:
About a quarter of the teenagers were unable to correctly identify Hitler as Germany’s chancellor in World War II, instead identifying him as a munitions maker, an Austrian premier and the German kaiser.
Well, what did the Murray Rothstein Celebrate Diversity cohort know?

Quote:
About 8 in 10, a higher percentage than on any other literature question, knew that Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird” is about two children affected by the conflict in their community when their father defends a black man in court.
Quote:
The history question that proved easiest asked the respondents to identify the man who declared, “I have a dream.” Ninety-seven percent correctly picked the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Harper Lee's nonsense nigger-coddling propaganda and Marchin' Lucifer "I'm not a nigger tonight! I'm fucking for God!" Coon's I Have A Nightmare speech.
Goddamn the nigger loving in this nation is so insane. Thanks, public schools. Thanks a million. Or is it a couple trillion? Thanks, Jews.

Old September 10th, 2012 #5
M.N. Dalvez

Being pumped full of dates can bore students to the extent that they don't learn anything. It's not a good idea to concentrate solely on that.

But the tendency in modern history syllabi to not teach history as a sequence of events but as a series of confrontations between contending principles does give students nowadays a pretty hazy idea of when things happened, or exactly who did what.

Hitler? He was that bad guy in Germany, right?

The Civil War? It was over a hundred years ago, or something, right? And it was because the Southerners wanted slaves, and the Northerners thought that slavery was wrong, right?

Women's lib happened after WW2 because all the women who worked during the war didn't want to go back to being housemakers, right?

(I could go on.)

So students know who was, or is, the good guy and the bad guy - they know the uncomplicated, retarded, movie-narrative view of history - and that's all the history they need to know.

Old June 16th, 2014 #6
Englisc
Amor Patriae Nostra Lex

Educational standards in decline in Germany - grades stay the same while knowledge gets worse. By the way a grade of 1 is the best in that educational system if you don't know.
Quote:
They have better grades - but know less: German graduates more often graduate with 1.0. But according to one unpublished study today even those won admission to study, which would have been in 2003 still too bad for that.

(...) The proportion of those who have a high school average of 1.0, increased between from 2006 to 2012 alone by forty per cent.

(...) First-year students in mathematics score according to this model on average 17 Pisa less than six years before. The reading literacy of all students is even decreased by 27 points.
translated by me from http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellsch...-12990707.html

Old June 16th, 2014 #7
Englisc
Amor Patriae Nostra Lex

Quote:
For example, according to a survey conducted by the National Geographic Society, only 37 percent of Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 can find Iraq on a map of the world. According to that same survey, 50 percent of Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 can’t even find the state of New York on a map. If our students cannot even find Iraq and New York on a map, what hope is there that they will be able to think critically about the important world events of our day?

Sadly, almost every survey or study about high school students that gets done shows that most of our students are not even receiving a basic education.

For example, the following comes from an article posted on MSNBC….

Just 13 percent of high school seniors who took the 2010 National Assessment of Educational Progress — called the Nation’s Report Card — showed solid academic performance in American history.

So only 13 percent of our high school seniors are proficient in history?

That doesn’t sound good.

So what does that mean exactly?

Well, there have been some other surveys and studies that have quizzed U.S. high school students about specific historical facts.

The following are some of the absolutely amazing results of a study conducted a few years ago by Common Core….

*Only 43 percent of all U.S. high school students knew that the Civil War was fought some time between 1850 and 1900.

*More than a quarter of all U.S. high school students thought that Christopher Columbus made his famous voyage across the Atlantic Ocean after the year 1750.

*Approximately a third of all U.S. high school students did not know that the Bill of Rights guarantees freedom of speech and freedom of religion. (This is a topic that I touched on yesterday).

*Only 60 percent of all U.S. students knew that World War I was fought some time between 1900 and 1950.

Even more shocking were the results of a survey of Oklahoma high school students conducted back in 2009. The following is a list of the questions that were asked and the percentage of students that answered correctly….

What is the supreme law of the land? 28 percent

What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution? 26 percent

What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress? 27 percent

How many justices are there on the Supreme Court? 10 percent

Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? 14 percent

What ocean is on the east coast of the United States? 61 percent

What are the two major political parties in the United States? 43 percent

We elect a U.S. senator for how many years? 11 percent

Who was the first President of the United States? 23 percent

Who is in charge of the executive branch? 29 percent
http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...ts-do-not-know

Thread