VNN Broadcasts

Old July 15th, 2009 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default How to Live Longest

Revealed: Cutting calories could be the key to a longer life

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:54 AM on 10th July 2009

Cutting your calorie intake by 30 per cent while still eating a nutritious diet could lead to a longer life according to a new study

Cutting your calorie intake by 30 per cent while still eating a nutritious diet could lead to a longer life according to a new study

The key to a longer life is all down to how much - or how little - we eat, according to a new study.

Scientists have revealed for the first time that cutting calories by about 30 per cent, while maintaining a nutritious diet, delays ageing in primates and could also add years of extra life to humans.

The 20-year study, carried out on rhesus monkeys, also found that eating less calories could also help prevent age-related disorders such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and brain atrophy.

Rhesus monkeys have an average life span of about 27 years in captivity.

However, the oldest of those taking part in the study have survived to 29, a seven per cent increase.

The same effect in humans would mean around six years of extra life.

Professor Richard Weindruch, from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the US, who led the research, said: 'We have been able to show that caloric restriction can slow the ageing process in a primate species.

'We observed that caloric restriction reduced the risk of developing an age-related disease by a factor of three and increased survival.'

Half the monkeys allowed to eat freely had survived compared with 80 per cent of those given the same diet but with 30 per cent fewer calories, he said.

The incidence of cancerous tumours and heart disease in monkeys on the restricted diet was also less than half of that seen in non-restricted animals

While diabetes and impaired glucose regulation is normally common in monkeys, there was no sign of it in the calorie-restricted individuals.

'So far, we've seen the complete prevention of diabetes,' said Professor Weindruch.

The brain health of the animals on the restricted diet was also better, with some areas of the brain remaining more intact with age.

Regions of the brain responsible for motor control, working memory and problem solving appeared to be better preserved in animals that consumed fewer calories.

Co-researcher Dr Sterling Johnson, also from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said: 'Both motor speed and mental speed slow down with ageing. Those are the areas which we found to be better preserved.

'We can't yet make the claim that a difference in diet is associated with functional change because those studies are still ongoing. What we know so far is that there are regional differences in brain mass that appear to be related to diet.'

The research was published today in the journal Science.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...nger-life.html

Old December 2nd, 2016 #2
Thaddeus Martell

Makes sense according to my information.

Another fountain of youth is supposed to be regular sweating as this eliminates a lot of toxins, sleep before midnight about which I just started a thread called "the natural sleepcycle rediscovered, and simple vitamine c, check out "Primal Panacea" by Dr. Levy at amazon.com.

Old May 31st, 2018 #3
Shelby

Default Not When - But How Much Sleep

My sleep "cycle" always begins about 3:00 AM standard local time. If the room is under 70 degrees and I've no AM plans, I sleep 8 - 10 hours, usually waking up in exactly the same position in which I fell asleep. My dad was exactly the same way and lived to 96.

Thread