VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 13th, 2019 #20
T.Garrett
Banned

Talking ok then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Meadows View Post
I didn't say that I can't "understand much Sardinian", I said that I don't speak it (because that's what you asked me). Do you understand the difference between active and passive knowledge of a language?
Ah, ok I didn't make that distinction because I rarely have discussions with people involving the nuances of linguistics. Of course I understand, I actively speak American English (New Yawk gibberish) and have passive knowledge of Dutch and German and to a lesser extent, Quebecois French.

Just out of curiosity did you become familiar with Sardinian from being around people who spoke the language daily as their native tongue or did you learn what you know about the language during the course of your studies as you say you did Latin?

You really don't catch on very quickly when I'm joking with you Stewart, maybe its the medium we are using to communicate here?

OK, I say fuck your academics I believe Italian is closer to Latin than semitized Sardinian, its basically like splitting a hair to say either language is 'closer' to the ancient tongue according to the experts anyway.

At worst, I'm only a little bit wrong.

Last edited by T.Garrett; May 13th, 2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: cant forget the French

Thread