Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old February 18th, 2019 #1
O. Pierce

Default US crypto-Jews race to reclaim heritage before Spanish citizenship offer ends

Quote:
Sephardi heritage is having a moment. It’s not just progressive firebrand Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who claims descent from Spanish Jews. Increasing numbers of Hispanic Americans along the US-Mexico border are coming out of the shadows to declare themselves descendants of Conversos, or crypto-Jews, who fled the Spanish Inquisition five centuries ago.

Blanca Carrasco, 52, an administrator at the University of Texas at El Paso, remembers hearing her uncles complain that her great-grandmother “was going to start speaking Ladino again so they wouldn’t understand.” A little girl at the time being raised in a Catholic family near the border, she had no idea what Ladino was, or that it was connected to Judaism.

“I also remember everyone covering mirrors whenever there was a death in the family,” she told The Times of Israel.

Similar tales abound throughout the American southwest. Stories of Hispanic families secretly lighting candles on Friday nights, refraining from pork, and observing other Jewish rituals are common.

Another El Pasoan, Yolanda Chavarria-Radcliffe, a 52-year old designer, said she heard her parents and grandparents say a few times, “We were once Jews.”

“It never really meant much to me when I was a little girl,” she said in a recent interview. “But as time went on, I was never satisfied with Catholicism or Christianity. Then, when I learned about the history of crypto-Jews, I began investigating my family ancestry and discovered that Chavarria and other family names stretching back centuries — Juarez, Orrantia, Aguirre, Enriquez — are well-known Converso names.”

The same was true for Carrasco. “It turns out my surname was very popular in Converso circles. And so were the names of other ancestors — Espinoza, Perez, and Enriquez.”

Five hours north of El Paso, through the New Mexican desert, is Albuquerque, home to Dr. Sarah Koplik, director of community outreach at the Jewish Federation of New Mexico.

Koplik oversees a program that looks at genealogies to determine whether someone has Sephardi heritage. Those with Converso roots can obtain a certificate from Koplik that can be used to apply for Spanish citizenship under a 2015 program by Spain’s government offering citizenship to anybody with a Sephardi background and language proficiency in an effort to atone for the sins of its past. (lol)

According to scholars, crypto-Jews converted to Catholicism under threat of death during the Spanish Inquisition, but secretly remained practicing Jews.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-cry...ip-offer-ends/

tl;dr: Dr. Sarah Koplik, jew, of New Mexico aids converso jews in gaining spanish citizenship so they have a bugout pad in case of trump-induced widespread antisemtism

Of course the article doesn't mention the causes of the mass slaughter of Jews: aiding the Moors and charging interest at 33 1/3rd percent. No, it just labels Whites as past-sinners.

Tags
converso, inquisition, jew, sephardic, spain

Thread