VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 5th, 2014 #1
ericthered
Idle Anger

Default Don't Follow Your Passion - Mike Rowe

Realistic look at this, 'follow your passion' nonsense.

Quote:
...I first saw “Follow Your Passion” displayed in the conference room of a telemarketing firm that employed me thirty years ago. The words appeared next to an image of a rainbow, arcing gently over a waterfall and disappearing into a field of butterflies. Thinking of it now still makes me throw up in my mouth.

Like all bad advice, “Follow Your Passion” is routinely dispensed as though it’s wisdom were both incontrovertible and equally applicable to all. It’s not. Just because you’re passionate about something doesn’t mean you won’t suck at it. And just because you’re determined to improve doesn’t mean that you will. Does that mean you shouldn’t pursue a thing you’re passionate about?” Of course not. The question is, for how long, and to what end?...

...I’m fascinated by the beginning of American Idol. Every year, thousands of aspiring pop-stars show up with great expectations, only to learn that they don’t have anything close to the skills they thought they did. What’s amazing to me, isn’t their lack of talent – it’s their lack of awareness, and the resulting shock of being rejected. How is it that so many people are so blind to their own limitations? How did these peope get the impression they could sing in the first place?...

In a world where everyone gets a trophy, encouragement trumps honesty, and realistic expectations go out the window.
http://yellowhammernews.com/faithand...we-dirty-jobs/

Old October 6th, 2014 #2
N.B. Forrest

Damn good advice. Rowe is a smart White man.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old November 8th, 2014 #3
Crowe

Work - you're not supposed to enjoy it, you're supposed to tolerate it for a pay check. That is how things are for most people.

I do agree with his point about a lot of people sucking at things they enjoy doing. Nobody is capable of being at a professional level of skill at anything they attempt to do. Some people have a knack for certain things, whereas others don't. Figuring out that you suck at something, and deciding to move on to something else is a life lesson that smarter people learn sooner rather than later. There is such a thing as wasted effort, IMO of course.

The only way to know if you don't suck at something is to compare yourself with others. I'll use an example. In HS, I took a machining class. I was terrible at it. I scrapped more parts than anyone else in the class did. So many, that they wrote my name on the scrap bin. It bothered me, because I tried really hard to do well. I knew right then and there I wasn't going to pursue that trade any further. That doesn't mean I didn't learn something, I can still make simple parts, its just my error rate is too high to be employable in that trade. Most shops expect you to have an error rate of under 5-6%.

Last edited by Crowe; November 8th, 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Old November 8th, 2014 #4
ericthered
Idle Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
Work - you're not supposed to enjoy it, you're supposed to tolerate it for a pay check. That is how things are for most people.
I got into my trade because I needed a job and the place that hired me was needing an apprentice to fulfill a quota required by a gov. grant. Not something I was interested in. I learned it and became good at it. Done it for 25 years now. Never been without a job and the skills learned have come in handy. If I had to do it all over again though, I would go to school and become an engineer.

Quote:
I'll use an example. In HS, I took a machining class. I was terrible at it. I scrapped more parts than anyone else in the class did. I knew right then and there I wasn't going to pursue that trade any further. That doesn't mean I didn't learn something, I can still make simple parts, its just my error rate is too high to be employable in that trade. Most shops expect you to have an error rate of under 5-6%.
Good that you based your decision on some hard logic, a rarity these days. Seems to be another prime target of big jew.

Ironically, my trade is machining, and I sucked at Metals class in school too, mainly because I was a stoner though :/

Old November 8th, 2014 #5
Anthony Lynch
Banned

Charles Darwin was passionate about biological science. Buzz Aldrin about space exploration. Adolph Hitler was passionate about his folk in resisting the jew. I agree that the state of modern idiocracy is such that we are constantly bombarded by useless platitudes, such as the poster described, but this doesn't negate the importance of choosing a career that is what you enjoy. You would have to be an idiot not to choose a career that interests you if you have the opportunity to. Impassioned White people have done incredible things.

Old November 8th, 2014 #6
cillian

Following your passion makes perfect sense. Note, the expression is not follow your interests, there's a difference. Most people are not passionate about anything.

Old November 8th, 2014 #7
ericthered
Idle Anger

I had a classmate in high school (late '70's), a geek who was really into 'Star Wars'. Pretty good in art and he got into making replicas of the characters in Star Wars and other movies. Think he made a giant 'Jaws' replica shark too.

Decided that he was going to make it in the movies as some sort of stagecraft/special effects person. Seemed to be pretty passionate about it, cobbled up the means to go to some school and go to Hollywood afterward. It turned out to be a total failure. Last I heard he was slave laboring at some factory back in the hometown. He was passionate about that particular pursuit but lacked in other life skills required to follow through.

This thread got me to thinking about the whole thing again; I think that following your passion makes perfect sense, when combined with a realistic, balanced plan to pursue the goal. Like the person who wants to sing needs to realize they suck at singing and get going on some voice lessons.

Old November 8th, 2014 #8
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I had a classmate in high school (late '70's), a geek who was really into 'Star Wars'. Pretty good in art and he got into making replicas of the characters in Star Wars and other movies. Think he made a giant 'Jaws' replica shark too.

Decided that he was going to make it in the movies as some sort of stagecraft/special effects person. Seemed to be pretty passionate about it, cobbled up the means to go to some school and go to Hollywood afterward. It turned out to be a total failure. Last I heard he was slave laboring at some factory back in the hometown. He was passionate about that particular pursuit but lacked in other life skills required to follow through.

This thread got me to thinking about the whole thing again; I think that following your passion makes perfect sense, when combined with a realistic, balanced plan to pursue the goal. Like the person who wants to sing needs to realize they suck at singing and get going on some voice lessons.
Though if they were passionate about singing they would already be in taking singing lessons, be in a choir, go to karaoke, go to open mic nights. It would make sense for them to become a professional at some point.

Merely showing up at a talent contest cuz it seems like a fun thing to do on that day, is not the same as the person that is obsessed with singing, that does it 14 hours a day, every day.

Old November 10th, 2014 #9
Crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I got into my trade because I needed a job and the place that hired me was needing an apprentice to fulfill a quota required by a gov. grant. Not something I was interested in. I learned it and became good at it. Done it for 25 years now. Never been without a job and the skills learned have come in handy. If I had to do it all over again though, I would go to school and become an engineer.
That is pretty sad they need a government grant in order to encourage them to hire apprentices. There are very few younger people getting into some of these trades like machining.

I was thinking about going back to tech school to learn how to be a bench tech and work on electronics. It would be a valuable skill to learn combined with some of the other stuff I know how to do. 1 year wait to get in that program. I put my name down on the list though. I'd like to be able to look at a circuit board and know exactly what I'm looking at, and if its fixable or how to fix it if its broken.

I also looked into which programs had openings available, and damn near every trade there had a backlog, some even a 3 year wait. The only one that didn't have a backlog that you could get right in on was Machine Tool and Die.

Old November 10th, 2014 #10
ericthered
Idle Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
That is pretty sad they need a government grant in order to encourage them to hire apprentices. There are very few younger people getting into some of these trades like machining.

I was thinking about going back to tech school to learn how to be a bench tech and work on electronics. It would be a valuable skill to learn combined with some of the other stuff I know how to do. 1 year wait to get in that program. I put my name down on the list though. I'd like to be able to look at a circuit board and know exactly what I'm looking at, and if its fixable or how to fix it if its broken.

I also looked into which programs had openings available, and damn near every trade there had a backlog, some even a 3 year wait. The only one that didn't have a backlog that you could get right in on was Machine Tool and Die.
The grant was around 25 years ago for a building. That was athe time when manufacturing in the U.S. started declining in a major way. Toolmakers and machinists at that time made a lot more than now, partially due to CNC machines but mostly due to jews and traitorous white phucks selling out our nation.

I have some some electronics training and at one point thought along the lines you mentioned, but so much stuff is throw away anymore. To work at repairing boards you'll have to drone work for some major company. Field service work on CNC machining equipment might be worth looking into.

There is currently a shortage of CNC operators and programmers. Not a bad trade to get into. To be a good programmer one needs to have some experience running them first though.

Old November 15th, 2014 #11
ericthered
Idle Anger

**Follow Your Dreams!**
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	follow-your-dreams.gif
Views:	67
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	9342  

Last edited by ericthered; November 15th, 2014 at 04:01 PM.

Thread