Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 21st, 2019 #1
steven clark

Default Current Wars

A new film that critics hate...naturally, I went to see it and enjoyed it thoroughly.
A film by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, deals with electricity...it's origins in becoming the household friend it is today, and I'm always fascinated in showing how things get started.
The story is a clash between Thomas Edison (Benedict Cumberbatch-looking like a young Dennis Quid) and George Westinghouse (Michael Shannon). Edison is beginning to market electricity, and a great chance to get it going is the Chicago world's fair. However, Westinghouse feels Edison's use of DC current is dangerous, and relies on AC. Westinghouse is concerned about safety and dignity. Edison is a wild genius who simply goes from one idea to another, and takes it personally when Westinghouse won't go along with him, and charges Westinghouse is actually fostering a dangerous current.

I liked the study of both men. Edison a loner and almost an obnoxious eccentric, but devoted to his family (he and his kids signal to each other by tapping Morse code), and Edison is shook when his wife dies. Westinghouse, meanwhile, is an honorable man who refuses to fight dirty to counter Edison, although his wife is willing to fight.
I enjoyed the story showing how, in supposedly sexist and repressive times for women, both wives had a strong influence on their husbands.

In this tug of war Nicolas Tesla comes in, works for both men, although unable to convince anyone of his ideas.

The film is a visual delight, showing good use of CGI and electric light. The end, with the lighting of the fair, captures what must have been a miracle to people then; streets and houses lit by electricity. We all take it for granted now, as Westinghouse predicted.
Edison, meanwhile, haunted by his wife's loss. goes on to create the phonograph and, eventually, moving pictures.

I enjoyed capturing the period and the struggle of these men. Interestingly enough, a social reformer came to both men trying to get them to invent an electric chair, as it would be a more humane way to die. Edison proves his power by electrocuting a horse. The results are less complete when they get to cook their first man.

But, you have to remember that the Guillotine was begun as a humane way to execute people; which it was, only the French Revolution put it into mass production.

Critics really dumped this film, but I liked it a lot, and one critic who said it reminded him of the TV series Drunk History is full of it. The movie isn't titanic, but shows a part of history, and the story is compelling. The only flaw I saw was the obligatory need for darkies, two always onscreen as reporters, no doubt to please the Hollywood commissars.
But Current Wars is worth a watch.

Old November 22nd, 2019 #2
Ray Allan

Any movie that (((critics))) rave about is usually total garbage. Ones they hate are a lot of times not so bad.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Thread