VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 5th, 2010 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Fish, and Tilapia in Particular

How did I make it 40+ years and never come across this delicious fish. Lately I have been eating lots of it. Tilapia is either a fish or one of 200 species of hot-weather (African or Asian) freshwater fish. It has nice, firm white flesh, cooks up very quickly. Most of the stuff you can buy is farm-raised in China. Can get it at Aldis here for 2.67/pound, or slightly more at Wal-Mart. It is a very good-tasting fish that somehow I had never come across. Try some tilapia, you'll like it!

[Confusing to me is whether tilapia is ONE kind of fish, or a sort of cover name for a bunch of African panfish.]

Tilapia come whole or in individually wrapped fillets. You can deep fry, but it's easier and just as tasty to throw them in skillet w some olive oil, paprika and lemon-pepper seasoning. Cooks up very quickly, delicious.

Old March 5th, 2010 #2
Alex Linder
Administrator

Eat it w some lemon juice, ketchup or marinara sauce. If you like fish, you will love tilapia.

Old March 6th, 2010 #3
Igor Alexander

I like tilapia. Kinda mild, like haddock.

Old March 6th, 2010 #4
OTPTT
Banned

99% of all Tilapia sold and eaten in America is 'farm raised' in China. Just look at the packaging next time you purchase some and you'll see the 'Farm raised in China' statement on the box or bag.

I was in China-Mart last night buying a few groceries and they had a large bag of Tilapia for $10. I would have purchased the package but it came from China.

With the Chinese sending over children's candy with GHB (date rate drug) in it, sheet rock with poisonous chemicals in it, and any number of other poisoned items, why in the world would you eat their Tilapia. And there's no telling what chemicals are in the water these fish are swimming around in while growing large enough to process.

If you have a source that doesn't come out of China let me know. I like fish as much as the next guy but I don't consume food items originating in China.

Old March 6th, 2010 #5
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Guy I know has a fish farm that used to raise tilapia. Shut it down due to low profit margin. Even though the farm is shut down there are still loads of them in the ponds, along with huge catfish and some striped bass thrown in to keep the tilapia spawn down. I guess I am lucky that I can go pull a few out when the mood strikes me.

These feed like bottom fish, they eat anything they can find, including feces so who knows what the Chinese are feeding them.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old March 6th, 2010 #6
OTPTT
Banned

One other thing to note. Many of the spices you buy, and this includes those low priced ones, come from China as well. Look on the label to ensure you're not eating anything that says 'product of China.'

I threw out a couple of bottles of garlic powder when I saw they originated in China.

Last edited by OTPTT; March 6th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.

Old March 6th, 2010 #7
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
One other thing to note. Many of the spices you buy, and this includes those low priced ones, come from China as well. Look on the label to ensure you're not eating anything that says 'product of China.'

I threw out a couple of bottles of garlic powder when I saw they originated in China.
Ditto. Once I started reading about the Chinese use of sewage ponds as the places they "farm raise" fish, I ditched the fish. Prior to that, we ate Tilapia. Wife can't find any fish in any stores around here that is not from China.

Old March 6th, 2010 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

I'm not worried about what the Chinese might be putting in it. Once spring comes, going to load up on local bass, which will be free.

Old March 6th, 2010 #9
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

I'm not so much worried about it as I am just not willing to participate in it. Made in China = cheap junk that breaks or makes you sick. When ever possible I avoid Chinese crap, in the end its just not a good value.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old March 6th, 2010 #10
Igor Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
I was in China-Mart last night buying a few groceries and they had a large bag of Tilapia for $10. I would have purchased the package but it came from China.
I stopped buying fish from China a few of years ago after getting a couple of batches that unexplainably tasted awful. I couldn't figure out if the fish itself was bad or if they had just put too much of the preservative on it. The fish looked fine on visual inspection, and didn't smell bad.

I don't like the trend of more and more of our food coming from there.

Old March 7th, 2010 #11
N.B. Forrest

I heard about the supposed tastiness of tilapia, so I tried it, and didn't like it. To me, it looked dark & tasted like salmon, which I don't like. Of course, I got it at Long Dong Silver's, so who knows what it really was.

Old March 7th, 2010 #12
Myles
Certified non-Kosher™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I'm not worried about what the Chinese might be putting in it. Once spring comes, going to load up on local bass, which will be free.
Here in Ohio we're told not to eat anything caught from local waters due to high mercury levels. Not sure how much truth there is to it.

I need more fish in my diet but I never buy meat from grocery stores.

Old March 7th, 2010 #13
Bardamu
Banned

I don't particularly like tilapia, although it is economical. This thread taught me why it is economical. Truly, be careful of food products from China. If they can poison toys, imagine what they can do with food.

Old March 7th, 2010 #14
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Truly, be careful of food products from China. If they can poison toys, imagine what they can do with food.
Years ago I cooked in a seafood restaurant.
Much of our fish came fresh-frozen in boxes stamped "product of Chile" and it was all good.
I would much rather buy from them than the chinks.

Old March 7th, 2010 #15
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Here in Ohio we're told not to eat anything caught from local waters due to high mercury levels.
100 Percent of Fish in U.S. Streams Found Contaminated with Mercury

In a new study conducted by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), every single fish tested from 291 freshwater streams across the United States was found to be contaminated with mercury.

"This study shows just how widespread mercury pollution has become in our air, watersheds and many of our fish in freshwater streams," said Interior Secretary Ken Salazar.

Mercury is a potent neurotoxin that builds up in the food chain at ever higher concentrations in predators such as large fish and humans. It is especially damaging to the developing nervous systems of fetuses and children, but can have severe effects on adults, as well. The pollutant enters the environment almost wholly as atmospheric emissions from industrial processes, primarily the burning of coal for electricity. It then spreads across the plant and settles back to the surface, eventually concentrating in rivers, lakes and oceans, where it enters the aquatic food chain.

The number one cause of human mercury poisoning in the United States is the consumption of fish and shellfish.

Researchers tested the water, sediment and fish of the 291 streams between 1998 and 2005. Fish tested were mostly larger species near the top of the food chain, such as largemouth bass.

All fish were contaminated with mercury, more than 66 percent of them at levels higher than those set by the Environmental Protection agency as a "level of concern for fish-eating mammals," according to Reuters. More than 25 percent of the fish were contaminated at levels higher than those set as the threshold for human consumption.

The study is the first to focus on mercury contamination of streams, rather than lakes, reservoirs, wetlands or oceans. The researchers found the highest mercury concentrations in fish from the coastal blackwater streams of the Southeast. Apparently the combination of pine forests and wooded wetlands found in these regions transforms mercury very effectively into its more toxic organic form (methylmercury). Mercury concentrations were also high in streams fed from areas with a history of mining.

Old March 7th, 2010 #16
George Witzgall

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by otptt View Post
100 percent of fish in u.s. Streams found contaminated with mercury

in a new study conducted by the u.s. Geological survey (usgs), every single fish tested from 291 freshwater streams across the united states was found to be contaminated with mercury.

"this study shows just how widespread mercury pollution has become in our air, watersheds and many of our fish in freshwater streams," said interior secretary ken salazar.

mercury is a potent neurotoxin that builds up in the food chain at ever higher concentrations in predators such as large fish and humans. It is especially damaging to the developing nervous systems of fetuses and children, but can have severe effects on adults, as well. the pollutant enters the environment almost wholly as atmospheric emissions from industrial processes, primarily the burning of coal for electricity. It then spreads across the plant and settles back to the surface, eventually concentrating in rivers, lakes and oceans, where it enters the aquatic food chain.

the number one cause of human mercury poisoning in the united states is the consumption of fish and shellfish.

researchers tested the water, sediment and fish of the 291 streams between 1998 and 2005. Fish tested were mostly larger species near the top of the food chain, such as largemouth bass.

all fish were contaminated with mercury, more than 66 percent of them at levels higher than those set by the environmental protection agency as a "level of concern for fish-eating mammals," according to reuters. More than 25 percent of the fish were contaminated at levels higher than those set as the threshold for human consumption.

The study is the first to focus on mercury contamination of streams, rather than lakes, reservoirs, wetlands or oceans. The researchers found the highest mercury concentrations in fish from the coastal blackwater streams of the southeast. Apparently the combination of pine forests and wooded wetlands found in these regions transforms mercury very effectively into its more toxic organic form (methylmercury). mercury concentrations were also high in streams fed from areas with a history of mining.
NOOO! I can't take it anymore! GODDAMN! this is so depressing.

Old March 8th, 2010 #17
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
I heard about the supposed tastiness of tilapia, so I tried it, and didn't like it. To me, it looked dark & tasted like salmon, which I don't like. Of course, I got it at Long Dong Silver's, so who knows what it really was.
I'm not a big salmon fan either, but tilapia is nothing like it, the fillets you get in the store. It's cheaper than most other fish, too.

Old March 8th, 2010 #18
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
The study is the first to focus on mercury contamination of streams, rather than lakes, reservoirs, wetlands or oceans. The researchers found the highest mercury concentrations in fish from the coastal blackwater streams of the Southeast. Apparently the combination of pine forests and wooded wetlands found in these regions transforms mercury very effectively into its more toxic organic form (methylmercury). Mercury concentrations were also high in streams fed from areas with a history of mining.
What about private farm ponds?

Old March 8th, 2010 #19
Igor Alexander

Quote:
Mercury is a potent neurotoxin that builds up in the food chain at ever higher concentrations in predators such as large fish and humans.
Someone advised me to avoid eating big fish like tuna for that reason.

Quote:
The pollutant enters the environment almost wholly as atmospheric emissions from industrial processes, primarily the burning of coal for electricity.
Imagine how much mercury there must be in fish from in and around China, then. Coal is still the primary fuel there, I believe.

Old March 8th, 2010 #20
Igor Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I'm not a big salmon fan either...
You guys don't even like smoked salmon?

Thread