VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 5th, 2010 #41
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
I eat salmon from time to time. It's OK, but far from my favorite fish. I do like smoked salmon and sushi-grade raw salmon. About the same for tuna. The more it's cooked, the less I like it. Raw sushi-grade tuna is great. Seared, but still essentially raw, also great. Canned fish of any species to me is inedible. I haven't eaten much dried fish, so I don't have an opinion.

My favorite fish is flounder, but flounder has a strange property. I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast. You bought flounder off the boats, or caught it for yourself (gigging or fishing.) To be perfect, flounder has to be cooked within hours of coming out of the water. Even properly refrigerated, a day old flounder is much less tasty and has a much poorer texture than fresh. Most fish hold up better than this. It's worth it, though, to get the fresh flounder. Nothing like it.

Mike
Flounder and haddock are great. So is another gulf fish, the red snapper. They are super tasty and fun to catch.

Funny thing is, you can't find these in the stores up here in Missouri.

Old July 5th, 2010 #42
N.B. Forrest

I've had tilapia several times since my last post in this thread: A delicately delicious flavor. As Alex said, it fries up very quickly. We get a bag just about every trip to the grocery store now. Wal Mart had it for about $4 a bag a few weeks ago.

Old July 5th, 2010 #43
Amy

I like it as well. Very mild, tastes almost sweet to my palate. It's been a good fish to introduce our toddler to as well, as I've heard that children can be rather picky when it comes to fish/seafood.

Old July 25th, 2010 #44
Justin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Here in Ohio we're told not to eat anything caught from local waters due to high mercury levels. Not sure how much truth there is to it.

I need more fish in my diet but I never buy meat from grocery stores.
We're told that here in Illinois too, but I fish about once a week over the summer and eat anything I can keep, and I never get sick. However I've only had tilapia about 4 or 5 times, and I personally find it to be the most disgusting fish aside from carp(although they taste about the same). I also don't trust it since it's being pushed all of a sudden in popularity, although I don't really have any reason not to. However you guys can go ahead and buy all you want and maybe you'll drive the price of walleye or the other good stuff down.

Thread