VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 4th, 2007 #41
Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6KILLER View Post
Glenn, do you make your own whiskey as well?
Nope, but back in NC I once made a 30-gallon barrell full of beer. Got a recipe from somewhere, and made it on my back porch. Threw in coupla dozen peaches for flavoring. Turned out pretty good, and in only 6 weeks. My cousin, who lived just across my pasture, sent one of his young'uns over every day with a huge empty pitcher. And between me, him, and our rowdy rednecks friends, the 30 gallons was gone in no time. We didn't feel not naire bit of pain after a pitcher or two. In fact, we all got right giddy. he he

Last edited by Rounder; September 4th, 2007 at 07:46 AM.

Old September 4th, 2007 #42
Sudaka
guinea foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
My bell pepper plants failed miserably, though. And I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Forgot how, I guess. Back in North Carolina, I grew large, delicious ones every year. But here in Missouri, mine grow no bigger than a golf ball. Any tips ??
It's hard to say without seeing the garden. The only time my bell peppers failed was when, pressed for space, I planted in my front yard, which at that time was about 3 x 7, and also held herbs, tomatoes and a vicious cucumber vine. They still grew, but only half-size. So it sounds like a space problem, or perhaps a frost retarded their growth. Remember they need full sun at all times; I know they grow well in a greenhouse, don't know about under cover. Do you know the pH in the soil you sewed them in?

Old September 5th, 2007 #43
Stronza

Thanks for help with the kohl rabi, Sudaka. I think that Alex L., good German boy that he is, would have a fit that Rounder thinks kohl rabi might be kind of a semitic food. Rabi is pronounced rabbee, not rabbi. In any case, remember, all, that you can eat the greens, too. Just like they were collards.

Old September 5th, 2007 #44
Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka View Post
It's hard to say without seeing the garden. The only time my bell peppers failed was when, pressed for space, I planted in my front yard, which at that time was about 3 x 7, and also held herbs, tomatoes and a vicious cucumber vine. They still grew, but only half-size. So it sounds like a space problem, or perhaps a frost retarded their growth. Remember they need full sun at all times; I know they grow well in a greenhouse, don't know about under cover. Do you know the pH in the soil you sewed them in?
Definitely not a space problem, Sudaka. And I've never gotten a soil sample analyzed. Meaning, my soil may be lacking in potash, nitrogen, or (what's the third?). All my other plants grew well this year, though. I also planted my bell peppers late - after any possible frost, and they had full sun. I also watered them well, as I did my entire garden. The SOBs just simply wouldn't grow, but stayed small. Mighty stressful, I tell ya. Even though I spent many an hour sitting under my barn shelter, next to my garden, sipping on Natural Lites, and gnashing my teeth, trying desperating to figure out the problem.

Oh, the pain.

Whatchathink ??

Old September 5th, 2007 #45
Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronza View Post
Thanks for help with the kohl rabi, Sudaka. I think that Alex L., good German boy that he is, would have a fit that Rounder thinks kohl rabi might be kind of a semitic food. Rabi is pronounced rabbee, not rabbi. In any case, remember, all, that you can eat the greens, too. Just like they were collards.
I just might plant some kohl rabis next Spring, Stronza. They sound damn good. I assume they come in plants, like cabbages. Right ??

Btw, I saved the seeds this year from my "giant" watermellons and muskmellons. The watermellon weighed in at 41 pounds. My biggest.

My wife ate the last of this year's watermellons, yesterday. I think she averaged one per day for the past month or so, arousing my suspicions as to her ancestry. (just kidding). She really is a glutton for watermellons and cantelopes, though. But, I am too.

I also prefer turnnip greens over collards. Life jes don't git no better than when eating turnip greens mixed with a dash of vinegar, hot peppers to "set em off", corn bread, black eyed peas, and fatback.

Last edited by Rounder; September 5th, 2007 at 07:57 PM.

Old September 5th, 2007 #46
Sudaka
guinea foul

Quote:
And I've never gotten a soil sample analyzed. Meaning, my soil may be lacking in potash, nitrogen, or (what's the third?).
Estrogen.

Kidding. It's phosphorous. But I don't know, I'm not a soil buff myself, and since you did everything else right, no idea what to tell you. Maybe you got bad seeds? or you saved them from a previous plant and they rotted? It has to be that or the soil.

You have good taste in food, by the way.

Old September 5th, 2007 #47
Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka View Post
Estrogen.

Kidding. It's phosphorous. But I don't know, I'm not a soil buff myself, and since you did everything else right, no idea what to tell you. Maybe you got bad seeds? or you saved them from a previous plant and they rotted? It has to be that or the soil.

You have good taste in food, by the way.
Thanks for your inputs, Sudaka. Yes, I'm convinced it's the soil. Hell, I grew large bell peppers back in NC, and every year I planted a garden. I'll have to either send in a soil sample, or quit trying to grow bell peppers here in MO.

Old September 6th, 2007 #48
Rounder

My cabbages this year, were so big I had to cut them in two with a chain saw to get them into my truck. And I'm the world's best fisherman too. I caught one so big the river dropped two feet when I pulled him out.

Old September 6th, 2007 #49
Sudaka
guinea foul

Quote:
My cabbages this year, were so big I had to cut them in two with a chain saw to get them into my truck. And I'm the world's best fisherman too. I caught one so big the river dropped two feet when I pulled him out.
I'm a crabbing man myself. I sell my catch to a local Vietnamese grocery.

Old September 8th, 2007 #50
Stronza

Quote:
I just might plant some kohl rabis next Spring, Stronza. They sound damn good. I assume they come in plants, like cabbages. Right ??

Btw, I saved the seeds this year from my "giant" watermellons and muskmellons. The watermellon weighed in at 41 pounds. My biggest.

My wife ate the last of this year's watermellons, yesterday. I think she averaged one per day for the past month or so, arousing my suspicions as to her ancestry. (just kidding). She really is a glutton for watermellons and cantelopes, though. But, I am too.

I also prefer turnnip greens over collards. Life jes don't git no better than when eating turnip greens mixed with a dash of vinegar, hot peppers to "set em off", corn bread, black eyed peas, and fatback.

Re kohlrabi: they are a quickgrowing crop, and as such I doubt they are available from a nursery like baby cabbage plants. You jes' drop the seeds into decent soil, etc. (you know all that) and in about 8 weeks you should have at least golfball size kohlrabis. At that stage they are so wonderful inside, almost creamy. When they get larger, they are still good. They have to be peeled, in any case.

I too love turnip greens, a variety called "Seven Top", which always do well. Also blackeyed peas as well as something called Yellow Eye Peas, which are even nicer, if that is possible. Are you familiar with these?

A 41-pound watermelon. I hope the wife didn't eat that one by herself. Do you know the name of the variety?

Old September 9th, 2007 #51
Rounder

Quote:
Re kohlrabi: they are a quickgrowing crop, and as such I doubt they are available from a nursery like baby cabbage plants. You jes' drop the seeds into decent soil, etc. (you know all that) and in about 8 weeks you should have at least golfball size kohlrabis. At that stage they are so wonderful inside, almost creamy. When they get larger, they are still good. They have to be peeled, in any case.

I too love turnip greens, a variety called "Seven Top", which always do well. Also blackeyed peas as well as something called Yellow Eye Peas, which are even nicer, if that is possible. Are you familiar with these?

A 41-pound watermelon. I hope the wife didn't eat that one by herself. Do you know the name of the variety?
You're probably right about the nonavailability of kohlrabi plants, but there are large varieties of plants available at some of the plant providers here.

Peas and beans are so cheap in the stores, I don't usually plant any myself. Though I planted some butterbeans and snapbeans this year, just for the hell of it. I never heard of yellow-eyed peas.

I planted Sugar Baby and Charleston Grey watermellons this year because they mature fairly quickly. The CG that weighed 41 lbs was the only one that weighed over 25 lbs - a mystery watermellon, really. And the reason I saved the seeds from it.

Thanks for the tip on "Seven Top". Maybe, I'll try planting a batch next Spring. Does "Seven Top" also make turnips in addition to turnip greens ?? I love the turnips, as well.

Btw, do you know a link to the instructions on the proper application of fertilizer ?? I always was a bit "flakey" in placing fertilizer in the proper amount, and at the proper distance from plants. Also the proper frequency.

Old September 9th, 2007 #52
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

http://www.organicgardening.com/

Glenn, Try here. your home garden should be organic. Dumping chemicals on your food is not very good for you. The veggies you get in the grocery store are missing lots of vitamins and minerals that only healthy soil can provide.

Buy, or better yet make your own compost. For the most part that compost will be the only stuff you need. Some soils need other additives to correct PH.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old September 12th, 2007 #53
Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCross View Post
http://www.organicgardening.com/

Glenn, Try here. your home garden should be organic. Dumping chemicals on your food is not very good for you. The veggies you get in the grocery store are missing lots of vitamins and minerals that only healthy soil can provide.

Buy, or better yet make your own compost. For the most part that compost will be the only stuff you need. Some soils need other additives to correct PH.
Thanks. I'll definitely use lots of compost next year. I spread about 1 inch of compost this year (not enough), and got good results. I also need to mail in a soil sample to determine what needs to be added.

Old September 12th, 2007 #54
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

good call... You may also want to do an earthworm test. I dont remember the hole size/depth nor how many worms should be in that, but the results of that may indicate you need to add worms. Having lots of worms + enough compost is like having gods finger on your garden.

Worms do more than just eat organics like the added compost, their waste (castings) are one of the best fertilizers. They also break up the soil and make for better roots in your plants.

Besides, good compost is really easy to make. Kitchen waste (dont forget the coffee grounds), garden waste from after harvest and the dead leaves from autumn is really all you need. That and time.

I have never spent much time at that site i posted, but your local library will have some books on soil that will help tremendously.

And if you are rotor tilling your garden every year STOP!!!!! You kill worms and the soil structure. First year gardens should be done 8-12" while you add in lots of organics, after that a few inches to mix in new compost, done by hand, is all you need

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old September 14th, 2007 #55
Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCross View Post
good call... You may also want to do an earthworm test. I dont remember the hole size/depth nor how many worms should be in that, but the results of that may indicate you need to add worms. Having lots of worms + enough compost is like having gods finger on your garden.

Worms do more than just eat organics like the added compost, their waste (castings) are one of the best fertilizers. They also break up the soil and make for better roots in your plants.

Besides, good compost is really easy to make. Kitchen waste (dont forget the coffee grounds), garden waste from after harvest and the dead leaves from autumn is really all you need. That and time.

I have never spent much time at that site i posted, but your local library will have some books on soil that will help tremendously.

And if you are rotor tilling your garden every year STOP!!!!! You kill worms and the soil structure. First year gardens should be done 8-12" while you add in lots of organics, after that a few inches to mix in new compost, done by hand, is all you need
Thanks for the advice, T.C. Sounds good except for your "done by hand" bit. I'm more of the leisurely gardener.

Old December 23rd, 2007 #56
Stronza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
I think I might go to Europe this year in the fall for two weeks. Haven’t been back since I moved here 1972. Long time still though have memories. Matter of fact the day I left, planted a chestnut so I look forward if it’s grown. a neighbor of mine also moved to Montreal, he owns a bar visits us in NJ and will see my old neighbor in Canada maybe in the winter tour spectacular Niagara falls, and all .

Soltano" is the correct term.
Hi. Claudio, did you go back to the old country as you mentioned above that you might? If so, how is the chestnut doing? Must be huge.

What a trip down Memory Lane that must have been!

Old December 24th, 2007 #57
blueskies
Banned

Quote:
Hi. Claudio, did you go back to the old country as you mentioned above that you might? If so, how is the chestnut doing? Must be huge.

What a trip down Memory Lane that must have been!
Do to work related issues, postponed for next year.

Old December 24th, 2007 #58
Kievsky

Quote:
Definitely not a space problem, Sudaka. And I've never gotten a soil sample analyzed. Meaning, my soil may be lacking in potash, nitrogen, or (what's the third?). All my other plants grew well this year, though. I also planted my bell peppers late - after any possible frost, and they had full sun. I also watered them well, as I did my entire garden. The SOBs just simply wouldn't grow, but stayed small. Mighty stressful, I tell ya. Even though I spent many an hour sitting under my barn shelter, next to my garden, sipping on Natural Lites, and gnashing my teeth, trying desperating to figure out the problem.

Oh, the pain.

Whatchathink ??
I think you should have poured some of your Natural Lites on the pepper plants. Beer is very good natural fertilizer for plants.

It's something though, some years I get a huge bumper crop of eggplants and only a few peppers, and other years vice versa, but never both. And there's no apparent reason, they'll be in the same area of the garden, and one does fine and the other doesn't. You win some, you lose some.

Old December 24th, 2007 #59
Kievsky

Default No mechanization is better

Roto-tillers and ploughs are just trading fuel and expense for what time and worms and soil microbes will do more effectively on their own, and it is bad for the dirt. I worked both a tilled farm (someone else's) and my own this year, and the tilled dirt was all broken up and encrusted and dried out. My spade dug and turned soil remained moist and it just felt more alive, rather than beaten into submission.

Every year I gather leaves and manure and make long piles on the borders of the garden, let them break down, grow cucurbits on the piles, then when they are broke down I spread it on top of the whole garden. The wife doesn't like the site of the piles but oh well.

Apparently there is a such thing as a microbial soil web -- colonies of soil microbes will form an unbroken web for acres and acres, even miles long, but if you smash your soil with ploughs and tillers it destroys the web.

Old December 24th, 2007 #60
Stronza

Wonderful info, Kievsky. I keep wanting a rototiller but there's never any shekels. Guess the (limited) digging I do is good for the bones, anyway!

Thread