Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 2nd, 2008 #1
April

Default Just made 3 loaves of bread, easy recipe

Wish I could share some hot bread with you all, but I cant. I would serve it warm with a big slab of real butter and honey from my dad's ranch.

Here is the recipe that even the most beginner cook can make, it is called Tupperware bread because you mix it in one bowl and you dont have to knead it.

3 1/2 c. warm water
3 pkgs. of yeast
6 Tablespoons sugar
6 Tablespoons melted butter
4 teaspoons salt
2 eggs, beaten
10 cups flour

DIRECTIONS

TIP: If you don't have a tupperware bowl, you can use a regular bowl and cover it with a dish towel. Let the dough rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

1. Using your large tupperware bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add the sugar and melted butter. Stir in salt and beaten eggs. Add the 10 cups of flour last.

2. Stir until thoroughly mixed (the dough will be sticky). Snap on the bowl's cover, burp out air and put in warm place until the seal pops on the lid.

3. Turn out onto a floured surface. Divide the dough into 3-4 equal parts and put into greased loaf pans. Cover pans with a damp dish towel and let rise for 30 minutes.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done. Cool on racks.

This is a real yeasty bread that is great for dinner and snacks but does not necessarily hold up for sandwiches that well.

April

http://kalispellple.blogspot.com/

Old December 2nd, 2008 #2
April

This is how it turned out, I used both white and wheat flour because I ran out of each.

Last edited by April; May 30th, 2014 at 10:41 PM.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #3
Amy

Growing up, I always thought my Mom made bread from scratch until I discovered the frozen pre packaged dough hidden in the deepest recesses of the freezer. All she had to do was let it rise, then bake. Had us all fooled, she did.

Sawry Mom, cat's out of the bag!

Homemade bread is such a treat. I love the whole process of making bread. The yeasty, earthy smell, the coolness of the dough, the repetitive kneading, and the best part, punching the risen dough back down.

And here I am, with all this free time on my hands, and still I buy bread from the grocery store.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #4
Anne

Looks mouth-watering, April. Has anyone tried a bread-making machine? I know it's not the homey, old-fashioned approach, but I figure it could save me some time while I have other things on the go.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #5
Art Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Looks mouth-watering, April. Has anyone tried a bread-making machine? I know it's not the homey, old-fashioned approach, but I figure it could save me some time while I have other things on the go.
Well they don't make a proper crust,but they sure are handy(it's been a few years since I had one though).I'd set the timer so that when I got up in the morning I had a piping hot loaf of fresh bread waiting for me.They next time I'm back in civilization I intend on buying one,again.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #6
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by reltih145 View Post
Well they don't make a proper crust,but they sure are handy(it's been a few years since I had one though).I'd set the timer so that when I got up in the morning I had a piping hot loaf of fresh bread waiting for me.They next time I'm back in civilization I intend on buying one,again.
Yeah, I knew something would be lacking with the machine--and I do like a proper crust. Are you out in the woods somewhere in BC? What do you eat?

Old December 2nd, 2008 #7
Art Cast

Quote:
Yeah, I knew something would be lacking with the machine--and I do like a proper crust. Are you out in the woods somewhere in BC? What do you eat?
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the woods.Generally I eat whatever the company flies in,which is usually whatever they find on sale in civilization(the cheap bastards).I also do a lot of fishing,crabbing,hunting and what not.There's lots of good mushroom picking lately(and I mean edible ones,not the wacky Mazzone ones).But I've always liked as much wild food as I can get,even when I'm living in civilization.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #8
Anne

I heard that harvesting wild mushrooms can be very dangerous. As for buying fresh and local, I think that's great, if possible. Anything to avoid third-world produce, especially from china where they pump raw sewage into the fields.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #9
Art Cast

Quote:
I heard that harvesting wild mushrooms can be very dangerous. As for buying fresh and local, I think that's great, if possible. Anything to avoid third-world produce, especially from china where they pump raw sewage into the fields.
Only if you can't identify your 'shrooms.Picking wild mushrooms amidst all the bears,cougars and poisonous toadstools has to be safer than driving through downtown Detroit.

Good mushrooms:

bad mushrooms :

btw,the above mushroom,although often eaten as "beefsteak"."brain" or "false morel",kills several people every year.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #10
Anne

I love the taste of all kinds of mushrooms, but I find them creepy looking. (Especially that brain one). How does someone learn to tell the good from the bad ones--don't some of them look the same? How did you learn?

Old December 2nd, 2008 #11
Art Cast

Quote:
I love the taste of all kinds of mushrooms, but I find them creepy looking. (Especially that brain one). How does someone learn to tell the good from the bad ones--don't some of them look the same? How did you learn?
Well,you start out very carefully and stick to the easy-to-identify ones like morels,chantrelles,puffballs and shaggy manes.In order to go further it's a good idea to find an experienced picker to show you the ropes,although a good identification guide can be useful.I prefer easily identifiable 'shrooms that can't be mistaken for anything else.I never touch amanitas.

Here's a guide :

all mushrooms that have tubes or pores,instead of gills :

are poisonous only if they have either red pores (the "sponge") or the flesh stains blue when bruised or broken.Sadly most boletes aren't really great eating and the worms get 90% of them before people find them.

Always cut puffballs in half to make sure that they aren't immature aminitas(although a giant puffball is unmistakable at full size).Any puffball that isn't completely solid white inside can be potentially dangerous.Throw it out!

Old December 2nd, 2008 #12
elbwgreez

What kind of yeast did you use, April?

I've tried making no-knead bread with instant yeast and it works very well, but the flavor is somewhat lacking.

I've also tried making wild-yeast sourdough and it isn't worth the time in my opinion.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #13
Anne

Mushrooms are neat--but I'll stick to the grocery store.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #14
Art Cast

Quote:
Mushrooms are neat--but I'll stick to the grocery store.
Doubtless a wise decision.

Edit: A good many stores feature wild picked mushrooms (at pretty steep prices).I know a couple who did nothing but pick mushrooms for an entire year (except when it was frozen)and made 40,000.00.

Last edited by Art Cast; December 2nd, 2008 at 09:40 PM.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #15
Bardamu
Banned

White sugar is bad. Bad, bad, bad. It is to food what globalism is to culture, except in desserts --- where it belongs to a certain degree.

Old December 2nd, 2008 #16
colleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Gaede View Post
This is how it turned out, I used both white and wheat flour because I ran out of each.
Yumm!
Nothing better then the smell of fresh homemade bread baking....
I take that back, eating it would be way better!!

Old December 3rd, 2008 #17
April

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbwgreez View Post
What kind of yeast did you use, April?

I've tried making no-knead bread with instant yeast and it works very well, but the flavor is somewhat lacking.

I've also tried making wild-yeast sourdough and it isn't worth the time in my opinion.
It was a store brand, but not the packages, in the jar, I figure about a tablespoon for every pack required....

You guys dont need a damn bread machine, that is the point this recipe is so easy a child could do it.

try it!!

Old December 3rd, 2008 #18
April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardamu View Post
White sugar is bad. Bad, bad, bad. It is to food what globalism is to culture, except in desserts --- where it belongs to a certain degree.
then use raw sugar....duh

Old December 12th, 2008 #19
Curtis Stone

April, I plan to try this recipe, I'm going to cut it in half though. It looks almost the same as my family's dinner rolls recipe, but since my grandmother died nobody has got them to come out quite right. She kneaded the dough. I think you can leave sugar out if you want to. The bread will be "plain" tasting, though.

Last edited by Curtis Stone; December 12th, 2008 at 05:29 PM.

Old December 12th, 2008 #20
April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Stone View Post
April, I plan to try this recipe, I'm going to cut it in half though. It looks almost the same as my family's dinner rolls recipe, but since my grandmother died nobody has got them to come out quite right. She kneaded the dough. I think you can leave sugar out if you want to. The bread will be "plain" tasting, though.
I guess I like my sugar. I also will put up a recipe for "honey butter" that is the perfect compliment for it.

April

Thread