Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 20th, 2008 #1
Todd in Ohio

Todd in Ohio
Exclamation Time for a self-imposed AGOGE.

Time for a self-imposed AGOGE.

I injured my knee and shoulder some time ago and have subsequently ballooned to a hefty 290 lbs. At 6’7” I don’t really look overweight as I am able to hide my extra-padding, but I feel like a wet noodle. I was hanging drywall last week and became aware (and troubled) at my lack of strength and endurance!

Thus, I will begin my kettlebell regimen next week and plan to lose weight at an alarming rate. After some extended kettlebell training and jogging I’ll hit the gym to further steel myself against the coming depression/opression.

Part of my “agoge” plan is to retract some unnecessary “extra-societal” functions and basically hibernate for a period of time while I diet and exercise. I plan to focus strictly on family, health-related issues, and my studies.

I will deny myself many objects of comfort and leisure such as sweets, soda, televitz, going out with my friends for some beers, warm clothes when I go outside, hot showers, et cetera...

I've done this in the past and the results are phenomenal!

Four months from now I will emerge stronger, thinner, and smarter (or at least stronger and thinner LOL).

Check back for updates.

Old January 20th, 2008 #2
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Donnie in Ohio

You'll be ready for a stroll through Over-The-Rhine at midnight in no time!

I clicked the link. Interesting stuff there. Thanks.

Much success!

Old January 22nd, 2008 #3
Karl Lueger

Karl Lueger

Thats a good plan, cool link as well.

Great idea here, '..I will deny myself many objects of comfort and leisure such as sweets, soda, televitz, going out with my friends for some beers.."

Rid ones life of anything that weakens the mind and body..now you went and scared a whole lotta jews with that.

Rambo, John J.

Old January 22nd, 2008 #4
brutus

brutus

Making this public declaration is smart self-motivation. By doing so, it'll help carry you through. After all, you wouldn't want to disappoint us with less than spectacular results, would you?

We'll be watching and cheering you onward from the sidelines.

Best of luck.

Old January 22nd, 2008 #5
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

RebelWithACause

I find that before/after pics and measurements also helps to motivate.

Old January 22nd, 2008 #6
Todd in Ohio

Todd in Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Making this public declaration is smart self-motivation. By doing so, it'll help carry you through. After all, you wouldn't want to disappoint us with less than spectacular results, would you?
Aye, that is my intended tactic.

The pressure is on!

Old January 22nd, 2008 #7
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Mike in Denver

Great thread MacManus, and inspiring. I also noticed your reputation is one gray dot. You have turned off reputation -- a good start. I am inspired to do the same.

Enkidu

Note: The English preference for naming the color is grey. The American preference is gray.

Old January 22nd, 2008 #8
Todd in Ohio

Todd in Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
Great thread MacManus, and inspiring. I also noticed your reputation is one gray dot. You have turned off reputation -- a good start. I am inspired to do the same.

Enkidu

Note: The English preference for naming the color is grey. The American preference is gray.
Every once in a while I turn on rep simply to see some comments, other than that I keep it off.

Hmm, Interesting on the different spellings. I have always spelled "grey" with an "e." Must be some leftover culture from my g-g-grandfather who came to the U.S. from Manchester, England.

Old January 23rd, 2008 #9
Moose

Moose

I do this every once in awhile. I have a few vices that I enjoy, but every now and then I go Spartan and just cut everything down to a bare minimum to sort of "cleanse" myself. I like this thread because now I have a badass term to refer to it. Interesting to see this was a Spartan practice, as "going Spartan" is how I always thought of it to myself.

Old January 23rd, 2008 #10
Derrick Beukeboom

Derrick Beukeboom

That is a good idea. I should do this more often. good for the mind, body and spirit.
Have to stream line things sometimes. The journey and challenge is a lot of fun.
It's great to break through barriers. Physical and mental.

Thanks for the motivation

Old January 31st, 2008 #11
Todd in Ohio

Todd in Ohio
Default Re: Time for a self-imposed AGOGE.

Update 1-31-08.

I have lost 10 lbs in just over a week.

I have not changed my eating habits that much, just implemented the kettlebell regimen. I have been doing simple swings and have started to put "get ups" into operation. Those things are a real bitch!

My knees have never felt better.

Old January 31st, 2008 #12
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

RebelWithACause

Great work! Keep yourself hydrated!

Old February 1st, 2008 #13
Derrick Beukeboom

Derrick Beukeboom

Great work, Any links to the kettlebell routines/equipment?

Old February 1st, 2008 #14
Todd in Ohio

Todd in Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Beukeboom View Post
Great work, Any links to the kettlebell routines/equipment?
I am currently using the "Russian Kettlebell Challenge" and "Enter the Kettlebell" by Pavel Tsatsouline (sp?). Just doing the basic stuff for now but trying to put together a complete workout.

There is an amazing amount of variety with the kettlebell!

Old June 8th, 2008 #15
Todd in Ohio

Todd in Ohio

Update.

I had to lay off the regimen for about three weeks due to a new job, but I didn't lose much stamina.

I have lost about 35 pounds and actually look bigger. I think it's because I'm more "cut" than before.

I took up jogging 3 days per week just because it's a great way to unwind.

Funny story:
I jog after work in the city and run right past a couple of jewelry stores downtown. There are always a couple of sephardic jews hanging out in front of the store.

They look so fucken ridiculous in their gay little outfits. Thursday afternoon I stopped in front of them and asked why they are always standing on my sidewalk, blocking my path. Without so much as a whimper they scampered inside.

On Friday, they saw me coming from a distance and went inside before I ran by. LOL. I probably am the epitome of everything they hate; tall, athletic, light-eyes, jew-wise, and fearless of little fat kikes dressed in gay little outfits with gay little locks of curly hair poking out from under their gay little hats.

Good times!

Old June 11th, 2008 #16
Derrick Beukeboom

Derrick Beukeboom

Any more tips for this lifestyle?

Having a difficult time staying consistent. Not enough hours in the day sometimes.

Thread