VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 10th, 2011 #1
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Default Being vs. Seeming

I intend for this thread to highlight and explore--in one place--instances of people and organizations putting their time, effort, and energy into appearance rather than substance. Surely a study of others' mistakes can only benefit us.

Discussion is, of course, invited. I feel certain there will be gray areas and differences of opinion on marginal examples. There does, after all, need to be sizzle to sell steak. But there must, in the end, actually exist a steak.

Please feel free to post your own examples.

And thanks to Alex Linder for highlighting the dichotomy, which I find fascinating but had never consciously recognized.

Old June 10th, 2011 #2
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Default Donald Crowhurst, 1960s British Sailor

Yesterday, I saw a documentary on the Independent Film Channel (IFC) called "Deep Water." It was about a late '60s, 'round-the-world yacht race. Or so I thought at first. It was actually a biopic on an amateur sailor, Donald Crowhurst, who was briefly, spectacularly famous.

It's tougher to get the gist of it from the write-ups. The documentary is well-put-together and recommended. In it, you even get a taste, from his logbook(s), of how his christ-exposure factored into his increasingly delusional worldview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBS' Independent Lens

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/deepwater/film.html

In 1968, The Sunday Times of London announced the first solo, non-stop, around-the-world sailing race. A prize of £5,000 was offered for the fastest voyage. Competitors were required to set sail before October 31 to avoid the fury of a winter at sea.

DEEP WATER follows Donald Crowhurst, a 36-year-old father of four and owner of an ailing marine electronics business, as he attempted to win the fastest voyage prize. With funding from a local businessman, Crowhurst bought a trimaran—the newest and quickest boat available at the time—on the condition that if he lost the race, he’d have to buy the boat back, a purchase that would propel him into bankruptcy. Naming his boat the Teignmouth Electron, Crowhurst set sail on the October 31 deadline, unable to complete the innovative designs he had planned.

After a slow start, Crowhurst began to radio a series of increasingly record-breaking daily distances to his delighted press agent in England, who embellished the mileages before relaying them to the public. Crowhurst’s family was thrilled by his sudden progress. But in reality he was slipping further and further behind his stated position. In his leaking boat, he began a second logbook with a list of elaborately calculated false positions on spare sheets. At that point he was weeks away from where the rest of the world thought he is.

Nine months later, the race was down to two competitors. When Crowhurst was deemed the certain winner, he began to panic, knowing that if he returned to England, his fraudulent journey would be exposed.

DEEP WATER uses Donald Crowhurst’s original 16mm films and tape recordings to re-construct his extraordinary journey. Through re-enactments and interviews with family and friends, the film reveals his maritime inexperience and the eventual ending that shocked a nation.
Wikipedia has a more detailed account:

Donald_Crowhurst Donald_Crowhurst

Old June 10th, 2011 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

Examples - 'Cool Britannia' campaign.
Cool_Britannia Cool_Britannia

Anyone who chases fashion, by getting a fauxhawk, for example.

Anyone who needs a certain brand of something because of the brand name - be honest.

Most Churchill admirers.

At the edges, seeming-not-being becomes actual fraud, as in the OP, or, in politics, blind dogmatism.

Old June 11th, 2011 #4
Horseman

Part of political correctness (PC) is a demand that Whites be about appearance rather than substance, else, if you are a white person of substance, then you are a racist and a nazi. this is the prime manner tha jews demand that whites diminish themselves and weaken their white selves so that their natural racism is hence diminished. that is, everyone knows that it's an inferior way to exist, putting appearance over substance, but jews still demand that whites do this to themselves. And many do.

Old June 11th, 2011 #5
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Default What's in a Name? The Medical College of Georgia

A common issue. . .perhaps less common now because so many former "colleges" already rebranded themselves as "universities" 20 years ago +/-. Note that the relative stature of the colleges-cum-universities has not changed one iota in that time. Also, Boston College, Dartmouth College, MIT, CalTech, William & Mary, etc., never have any relative problem being non-universities.

[Note: This is not a commentary on higher education institutions in general, which would most accurately be labeled Diploma Mills.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRDW, Ch 12, Augusta, Ga
Font Size: News 12 at 6 o'clock, Wednesday, September 15, 2010

AUGUSTA,Ga---The Medical College of Georgia is changing it's name for the first time in more than 60 years. The name change won't come cheap.

"The name has not recognized the school's growth," said school president Dr. Ricardo Azziz. The plan is to spend millions to change the name.

"The changed name is hitting me hard," said registered nurse Christopher Schiffbauer.

The school's new name will be Georgia Health Sciences University.

"I don't know that we needed the new name," said Dr. Barbara Kiernan with the MCG school of nursing. "I think most people here were very comfortable with Medical College of Georgia."

"Who are we? We are beyond a medical college," said Janie Heath with the school of nursing. "We have five schools here."

Heath is happy to see the new school president making "bold" changes.

"That takes action," said Heath. "You don't sit around and chit chat about it day after day."

"To me," said Christopher. "As a local Augusta native...it is not worth it."

Changing the school's name will cost $2.9 million. $1.2 million of that money has been budgeted for new signs. The rest of the money will go toward uniforms, paper, etc."

"My gut is telling me we are going to have a good pay-off with this," said Heath.

Dr. Azziz wants to bring more national attention to the university.

"Medical College of Georgia," said Heath. "That name is not known at the national level. Dr. Azziz wants us out there."

Some students feel let down.

"I want to graduate, and I want that [MCG] sticker on my diploma," said Christopher.

The name change will go into effect February 1, 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fischer, MD, via Augusta Chronicle

Editorial
June 8, 2011

First Georgia Health Sciences University President Ricardo Azziz wanted to change the Medical College of Georgia from an institution whose mission was to train doctors for Georgia into a big research factory.

Then he wanted to change the patients that it cared for from the sick in Augusta to "medical tourists" from places such as California.

Now he wants all of Augusta to become "cool" so that he can recruit some cool researchers ("Augusta lacks 'cool' factor for recruits," June 7).

The mandate of leadership is to transform an institution, not trash its community. It is time for Ricardo to move to someplace cool.

Paul Fischer, M.D.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/opinion...n?v=1307498505

Old June 11th, 2011 #6
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Getting back to Donald Crowhurst, the sailor-liar. . .

The documentary kind of pissed me off. I was 1/4 the way through it before it became clear what direction the film was going. By then I was hooked, and I'm glad I stayed for the conclusion.

I think the most irritating thing was the framing of Crowhurst's skullduggery and demise. It was spun as a tragedy, with Crowhurst to be a sympathetic figure. I felt bad for the guy who actually won the race fair-and-square, Knox-Johnston.

His widow and one of his (now middle-aged) sons gave on-camera interviews that were interspersed throughout the film. I didn't dislike them personally, but I felt a certain ick about the whole business. It's something I would be ashamed of, were Crowhurst my father. I wouldn't talk about it and I'd move on with my life. But the wife and son. . .it was like they were still living it, justifying it.

You see this kind on TV all the time. They've dome some gigantic fuck-up. . .now they're on camera grinning or crying about it years after-the-fact. It's not healthy.

Something else that struck me. . .the British culture is so full of pompous crap (witness the most recent royal wedding) that when one of them actually does something, they go absolutely apoplectic with delight--the human version of fainting goats.

Old October 7th, 2011 #7
Soveraine

Default Yes

Secret Societies.

They're clever conspiracies meant to scare you into believing something.

They never actually Really exist in reality. Just in imaginations.

Same with politics. A batch of gypsies and hebriots gather together in a country, vote to create their party, use corruption to fake their ellection.

In reality these aren't real citizens of that nation. They aren't even white, or straight. They are allies of the Jewish western churches and communities, sent as silent invaders to steal from a white nation.

That's how politics is done in democratic parts of Europe. The political people with fancy roman (jewish) names like "senator" don't really have any real rights to even be in that country.

Except maybe as tourists, to enrich local restaurants or other bussiness forms.

Old November 20th, 2011 #8
Ty Grant

Default Solo of circumnavigatingation book entitled "Gypsy Moth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
Getting back to Donald Crowhurst, the sailor-liar. . .

The documentary kind of pissed me off. I was 1/4 the way through it before it became clear what direction the film was going. By then I was hooked, and I'm glad I stayed for the conclusion.

I think the most irritating thing was the framing of Crowhurst's skullduggery and demise. It was spun as a tragedy, with Crowhurst to be a sympathetic figure. I felt bad for the guy who actually won the race fair-and-square, Knox-Johnston.

His widow and one of his (now middle-aged) sons gave on-camera interviews that were interspersed throughout the film. I didn't dislike them personally, but I felt a certain ick about the whole business. It's something I would be ashamed of, were Crowhurst my father. I wouldn't talk about it and I'd move on with my life. But the wife and son. . .it was like they were still living it, justifying it.

You see this kind on TV all the time. They've dome some gigantic fuck-up. . .now they're on camera grinning or crying about it years after-the-fact. It's not healthy.

Something else that struck me. . .the British culture is so full of pompous crap (witness the most recent royal wedding) that when one of them actually does something, they go absolutely apoplectic with delight--the human version of fainting goats.
I understand fainting goats and that is really funny and true... the issues of sailing with regaurds to philosohy seems fitting for this discussion... a 68 year old mand, whom bythe book is written , details the account of a circumnavigation of the glod via his sailboat in and around 1974... for white studies it is a good read. it really explores the endurence, not out right, the inner working of the white mindand race... supplied with great knowledge and wisom that our people are endowed with this man uses his natural feeling and natural understandings of his world as only a white man can...

Old April 11th, 2021 #9
Miguel Dias

slightly off topic, but this also happens to the quality of our spoken languages.
we need to have our languages if we want to be who we are. otherwise if portuguese was lost than the spanish language would dominate iberia even more and portuguese would fell a bit more spanish than they do now.
a tragedy

Old April 11th, 2021 #10
Miguel Dias

sure spanish people are good, i my self am partially spanish, but portuguese is important for me.
besides i already know some things about Español as i studied it in school for 3 years.

Thread