VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 14th, 2009 #121
Nick Apleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_J. View Post
You in the northeast?
Northwest. North Idaho, in fact. Beautiful country.

Old June 14th, 2009 #122
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Apleece View Post
Northwest. North Idaho, in fact. Beautiful country.
And one of the Whitest states in the Kwa. I bet it is beautiful up there.

Well, you guys are known for taters, so I suspect that yours will be just fine. I have a few out. Hard rains actually washed some of mine out! But, the ones that made it are about knee-high. Some of my other stuff got hit with a 20 minute hailstorm that killed lots and put others way behind, though they are coming back.

I killed about four mexican bean beetles today along with two clutches of eggs under a leaf. I had an infestation of those last year and they are nasty! They leave leaves skeletonized and the plants die. They look a lot like ladybugs which is how they got as far as they did in my garden last year. They eat everything but potatoes, tomatoes and hot peppers. I sprayed neem oil on most everything this evening. Hopefully, it will help.

Old July 5th, 2009 #123
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Best. 'Mater. Ever.

Guys:

If you get a chance to grow "Cherokee Purple" heirloom tomatoes, do it.

They are the best tasting tomato I have ever had, bar none.

We are saving the seeds from the ones we consume, and I will gladly forward seeds to any neo-Amish who wants to grow 'em next year. They are highly recommended.

Also, the T-Shirts will be printed on the 14th.

Old July 5th, 2009 #124
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Guys:

We are saving the seeds from the ones we consume, and I will gladly forward seeds to any neo-Amish who wants to grow 'em next year. They are highly recommended.

Thanks for the tips on the Cherokee Purple. I will give it a try next year. Maybe I can still find some seeds. I will take your word on the taste and go heavy on them next year. I planted more Russian Krim than anything this year.

Do you know anything about artichoke? I planted some. One survived. It sprouts leaves but stays at ground level. Not sure what exactly an artichoke is supposed to do as far as size or growth. I like artichoke hearts pickled which is why I planted them.

My garden actually recovered from the hailstorm. Getting some squash and zucchini now from plants that I wrote off before. Also, the broccoli recovered, though it is a bit late for growing that. The raised bed is doing best of all. Also, have some corn in. I never did any good with corn until this year and am using an heirloom.

How is your project going? I hope you can work out a viable business. BTW, right down the road from me a family has an organic farm. They are doing well. They issue subscriptions for veggies and the subscription cards get direct mailed and are found at stores. They offer x number of veggies (listing types and quantities) for x dollars. You get weekly delivery. Pay by the week, month, or for the whole season. Thought I would pass that along in case it helps your brainstorming.

Great on the t-shirts. I definitely want to get one.

Old July 5th, 2009 #125
Kievsky

Quote:
Guys:

Donnie,

Please send me those Cherokee Purple seeds along with the T-shirt! You got tomatoes already? I got some yellow flowers, but that's it.

By the way, you can propagate tomatoes by taking cuttings and just stick the cutting in the dirt. It'll droop for a week, then the roots will establish and it'll green up and come back with a vengeance. "cloned" tomatoes actually seem stronger than tomato plants grown from seed. Once I put up my greenhouse, I'm going to try and grow tomatoes/eggplant/peppers through the winter, and I'm going to try to propagate all of them by cloning.

Anyway, you can definitely sell or give away very large tomato plants with this cloning method, Donnie. 2 weeks after cutting them and sticking them in dirt, it'll be quite obvious that they are going to survive and thrive.

Also, I picked up a beautiful "antique" rototiller yesterday, a 1960's vintage. Thing runs great and starts on the first pull. I'm hoping to have a commercial farm in 2010. I got a bunch of land under weeds, which I'm going to tame by digging out clumps of sod, put the clump in the wheelbarrow, and pull out the weeds and roots and branches and rocks and sift them out from the dirt, and then dump the dirt back on the ground. It'll take a while, but you only need to do that once.

Get some fingerling potatoes and Asian pear trees, Donnie. You won't regret it.

Old July 5th, 2009 #126
OTPTT
Banned

I don't know what's happening with my garden. Many of my plants are dying and the leaves on some look as though they have been hit with a shotgun.

This is either my broccoli or brussel sprout plant.

These are a couple of my tomato plants. I'm not sure what's causing the leaves to turn like you see here. I try to balance the watering so they aren't under or over watered. I planted them in 2/3rds top soil with a 1/3 potting soil on top of the top soil. I occasionally add a measured amount of Miracle Grow about weekly to ensure they receive the necessary nutrients.

I had the plants in a more shaded area before moving them back out into an open area where they would receive more sun light thinking they needed more sun light. Now I'm just not sure what to do with them.

I may try and salvage what's left by putting them in a raised bed planter. I have some 2x6s that I can use to build one with and I'd hate to lose the potential food if these plants were to all die.

Quote:
HELP! I need somebody! HELP! Not just anybody! HELP! I need someone ... a gardner!

When I was younger gardens were not so much a maze ... Not it seems that I'm getting lost in all the haze.

But now those days are gone and I'm not so self assured. And now my pretty veggies are dying by the hoard!

Help me if you can my plants are dying!
Can there be any hope of their surviving?

Won't you please! Please help me?!

Thank you, thank you very much ... And now the band and I would like to play for you our next tune 'Happiness is a Warm Gun.'

Last edited by OTPTT; July 5th, 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Old July 5th, 2009 #127
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Speaking of t-shirts Josh and I have about 100 Obongo t-shirts that we'd like to get rid of if possible. We have all sizes small, medium, large, XL, and XXL. If you would like one you need only pay $5 to cover shipping and handling. They cost of more than that just to have professionally printed.

We also have bumer stickers too that we'll let go at $2 a piece. They cost us more than that to have printed.

So if you're interested in either of these send me a pm and I'll send you the contact information. I took down Obongo08.com as I'm not going to through any more money into it. I think Josh would agree.

Old July 5th, 2009 #128
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
I don't know what's happening with my garden. Many of my plants are dying and the leaves on some look as though they have been hit with a shotgun.

Kievsky can probably better speak to it, but it looks like worms to me. My broccoli got the same holes. I noticed white moths flying around them and, sure enough, found green worms on them. They were almost camouflaged. I picked them by hand and killed them. Those have definitely had something eating on them.

Quote:
These are a couple of my tomato plants. I'm not sure what's causing the leaves to turn like you see here. I try to balance the watering so they aren't under or over watered. I planted them in 2/3rds top soil with a 1/3 potting soil on top of the top soil. I occasionally add a measured amount of Miracle Grow about weekly to ensure they receive the necessary nutrients.

I had the plants in a more shaded area before moving them back out into an open area where they would receive more sun light thinking they needed more sun light. Now I'm just not sure what to do with them.
I put neem on mine when they did that. It fixed the problem. This is another one Kievsky is better at, but I know that tomato plants are susceptible to mold and blight, etc.

Old July 5th, 2009 #129
Kievsky

Quote:

I may try and salvage what's left by putting them in a raised bed planter. I have some 2x6s that I can use to build one with and I'd hate to lose the potential food if these plants were to all die.
those leaves are getting skeletonized by a slug, is my guess. Put a bowl of beer out and catch the little monsters.

Old July 5th, 2009 #130
OTPTT
Banned

Thanks Kievsky.

I didn't post a pic but my six otherwise healthy radish plants died almost overnight. I think the gardening process will be easier once I'm settled on my property. I can stake out an area, fence it off, and take all appropriate measures to ensure the health of the vegetables.

While I don't want to see these die I was more or less experimenting with the seeds I had purchased as I have never performed any gardening in the past. This should be self-evident.

Old July 5th, 2009 #131
George Witzgall

Quote:
Thanks Kievsky.

I didn't post a pic but my six otherwise healthy radish plants died almost overnight. I think the gardening process will be easier once I'm settled on my property. I can stake out an area, fence it off, and take all appropriate measures to ensure the health of the vegetables.

While I don't want to see these die I was more or less experimenting with the seeds I had purchased as I have never performed any gardening in the past. This should be self-evident.
tony, sorry but those plants are good as dead. even if you baby them and by some miracle they limp along they will never produce much for you. don't waste any more time on them. dump them out now before you allow them to harbor any more disease/pests. dump em in the sun in a compost bin/pile for use as soil next year (make sure the sun bakes the soil to kill the fungi).

Old July 5th, 2009 #132
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Witzgall View Post
tony, sorry but those plants are good as dead. even if you baby them and by some miracle they limp along they will never produce much for you. don't waste any more time on them. dump them out now before you allow them to harbor any more disease/pests. dump em in the sun in a compost bin/pile for use as soil next year (make sure the sun bakes the soil to kill the fungi).
I had broccoli that a came back after being eaten like that last year. They are not necessarily lost.

As for fungi, they recommend burning the plants and never to compost them. Even the heat of composting (hotter than ambient temps provided by the sun) is not enough to kill it.

Old July 5th, 2009 #133
Kievsky

My .02 cents Tony -- those plants can recover, once you Holocaust the slugs in a nice bowl of cheap beer.

Old July 5th, 2009 #134
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_J. View Post
Thanks for the tips on the Cherokee Purple. I will give it a try next year. Maybe I can still find some seeds.
Don't spend any money, bro. I'll send you a bunch of seeds with the T-shirt.

They really are quite exceptional in taste. Everyone we have shared one with just raves about them. We are going to go heavy on them (have 6 plants now) as well next year. They'll be a great seller, no doubt.

Never tried artichoke, either growing or eating.

Glad to hear your garden has recovered from the hail. Ain't Mother Nature a bitch?

The project is going scary good, Joe. Like waiting-for-something-to-go-wrong kinda good. We already have several contracts with local restaurants/stores, and everything is growing like it's on steroids or something.

We are setting up the weekend of the 17th for the first time. We are all excited, should be fun.

You are going to get a kick out of the shirts, BTW. The art looked very cool. Can't wait to see what it looks like on a tie-dyed shirt.

Old July 5th, 2009 #135
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
Donnie,

Please send me those Cherokee Purple seeds along with the T-shirt! You got tomatoes already? I got some yellow flowers, but that's it.

Will do, Rob. I'm planning on sending you seeds from all the heirloom varieties (56) we have planted this year, or at least as many as you want.

As I said in my post to Joe, everyone raves about the Cherokee Purple 'maters. Be sure to put a few in next year.

We've gotten ripe fruit off some of the Cherokee Purple, Homestead, Early Girl & Green Zebra plants so far. Tons of fruit on all the others.

I think I might have a green thumb. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself, and I have joined the local organic growers association.

Old July 5th, 2009 #136
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

I wonder how a freshly-picked tomato packed carefully with a T-shirt and seed packets would survive a UPS trip?

Old July 5th, 2009 #137
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Don't spend any money, bro. I'll send you a bunch of seeds with the T-shirt.
Thanks a lot! How about I send you some Black Krim seed once I get some fruits? Also, have some Red Emperor pole beans that make a nice red flower and are growing good. Pics to come. They are heirloom. I'll be happy to pass along seed to you, Kievsky, Tony.

Quote:
Never tried artichoke, either growing or eating.
That's okay. Maybe Kievsky can offer some input. It would be appreciated.

Quote:
Glad to hear your garden has recovered from the hail. Ain't Mother Nature a bitch?
Yes. Things came back with a roar. I am going to post some pics.

Quote:
The project is going scary good, Joe. Like waiting-for-something-to-go-wrong kinda good. We already have several contracts with local restaurants/stores, and everything is growing like it's on steroids or something.
That is GREAT! I am really happy to see you success with this project! I know what you mean about waiting for a shoe to drop when things go so good, but people want fresh, good food. And Kievsky had a good idea-kick the legs out from under the agribusiness!

Quote:
You are going to get a kick out of the shirts, BTW. The art looked very cool. Can't wait to see what it looks like on a tie-dyed shirt.
[/quote]

I think several of us are looking forward to seeing them.

Okay, since Tony got us started on pics, I am going to add some.

Red Emperor Pole Bean. As you can see, they make a lot of red flowers. They are vined out way past what I could get in the pic. These are next to the house and are set up to climb the gutter once they climb the twine.

This is a very small raised bed garden I set up about a month ago. I calculated 18 cubic feet of soil. I used ten bags of topsoil, one bag of mushroom compost and one bag of cow manure. I use Miracle Grow (TM) once a week on it. Squash on the left, then some cherry tomatoes and cucumber on the right. There are some habanero and eggplant on the far left but they are still small.

Same bed, but taken from the opposite side.

I plan on adding another layer of wood after harvest.

Formerly beaten down, hail damaged zucchini:

Ditto, but squash.

Also, hail damaged before butternut squash:

Quote:
I think I might have a green thumb. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself, and I have joined the local organic growers association.
There is real world White activism and it puts money in your pocket along with doing a greater good versus big agri! Congrats, again.

Old July 5th, 2009 #138
George Witzgall

about a quarter of my tomatoes were killed by southern blight. watch for this one.

I have a few fruits that are just now turning red. it's been a wet mild summer with cool nights, so nobody's tomatoes are doing super well here.

Old July 5th, 2009 #139
Kievsky

Donnie,

Take cuttings from your Cherokee purple tomatoes, like the side branches, and stick 'em in the ground. They'll grow into full blown tomato plants in no time. Don't worry when you see them wither the first week. Growing tomatoes from cuttings makes the plant very aggressive once it sets roots.

Old July 5th, 2009 #140
Kievsky

Gentlemen,

I'm sorry, I haven't grown artichokes. This year I got a greenhouse, so I might give it a try. I have never had a space to start plants in pots because the wife doesn't let me, but now I'll be doing a lot more botanical experimenting.

We should definitely all go strictly heirloom and do seed trading. We should exchange mailing addresses as well. i have some fingerling potatoes to send to anyone who wants to get started with them. A few is all you need, heck one would be enough, because they are extremely aggressive. If you leave them in the basement they grow these long shoots, and if you drop even one piece of one shoot in the ground, it will grow into a fingerling patch in no time.

I wrote about tomato propagating above. I want to mention potato propagating. If you dig out a potato plant, you'll see that's it's actually a clump of several plants. Divide them up and plant them individually, and they'll quickly become full sized potato plants in thier own right. If you have a rototiller you can make a big potato patch very quickly this way.

Tags
#1, gardening, neo-amish movement

Thread