VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 7th, 2015 #1
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default "Alone" Reality Show

Anyone else watching this? It broadcasts on The History Channel on Thursday evenings.

The show takes 10 men (who appear to all be white) who are "survival experts" and drops them off alone in the middle of a thick rainforest in British Columbia. Only allowed 10 items. No food or water provided.

They are each given multiple cameras which they use to self-document their attempts to survive, basically. They have a sat-phone they can use to "tap out" and call for rescue when shit gets real (Bears, wolves, inability to get a fire started). Last man standing wins half a million bucks.

Only took 24 hours for the first guy to bail. Bear issues. One other guy had serious bear issues 48 hours in, one guy had wolf issues, one (who seemed to have it together) carelessly lost his fire-starting flint, which caused him to fold. 6 guys still left on day 5.

What struck me is how quickly a few of the men seemed to begin to lose it mentally after just a couple of days of isolation. Stammering, teary-eyed declarations of eternal love for your family are to be an expected part of such a situation eventually I would think, but fuck, not before a loaf of bread can go stale.

At any rate, it's interesting to see just how tough it would be to live as a true hunter/gatherer.

Thread