Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > News & Discussion > Archaeology & Anthropology > Animals
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old November 3rd, 2008 #1
William Hyde
Someday Never Comes

Angry #1 Extinction Thread: Muds Make Species Go Extinct / Only Whites Care About Animals

Mexico City's 'water monster' nears extinction
The axolotl, a key part of Aztec legend and diet, faces new threats

MEXICO CITY - Beneath the tourist gondolas in the remains of a great Aztec lake lives a creature that resembles a monster — and a Muppet — with its slimy tail, plumage-like gills and mouth that curls into an odd smile.

The axolotl, also known as the "water monster" and the "Mexican walking fish," was a key part of Aztec legend and diet. Against all odds, it survived until now amid Mexico City's urban sprawl in the polluted canals of Lake Xochimilco, now a Venice-style destination for revelers poled along by Mexican gondoliers, or trajineros, in brightly painted party boats.

But scientists are racing to save the foot-long salamander from extinction, a victim of the draining of its lake habitat and deteriorating water quality. In what may be the final blow, nonnative fish introduced into the canals are eating its lunch — and its babies.

[snip]

About 20 years ago, African tilapia were introduced into Xochimilco in a misguided effort to create fisheries. They joined with Asian carp to dominate the ecosystem and eat the axolotl's eggs and compete with it for food. The axolotl is also threatened by agrochemical runoff from nearby farms and treated wastewater from a Mexico City sewage plant, researchers say.
Local fisherman Roberto Altamira, 32, recalls when he was a boy, and the axolotl was still part of the local diet.

"I used to love axolotl tamales," he says, rubbing his stomach and laughing.

But he says people no longer eat axolotls, mainly because fishermen almost never find them.

"The last one I caught was about six months ago," says Altamira, a wiry gondolier with rope-like muscles from years of poling through Xochimilco's narrow waterways.

[snip]

On a 9-foot-wide canal covered by a green carpet of "lentejilla" — an aquatic plant that resembles green lentils — Zambrano's researchers test water quality and search for axolotls. The air smells of sulfur and sewage.

READ MORE:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27503150...287/?GT1=45002

Last edited by William Hyde; November 3rd, 2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: type-o

Old November 3rd, 2008 #2
William Hyde
Someday Never Comes

Angry

The mexicans are culture destroyers and have no respect for nature. They are replicating this same insanity in Texas. (Because they ignorantly and carelessly dump their aquariums in the local creeks) - an extremely rare isolated Texas minnow is nearly extinct -in less than 3 years! The south american algae eaters the mexicans dumped into the streams have multiplied like rats and almost completely wiped out the native fish!

Other invasive cases:

There have even been confirmed cases reported where in Texas streams, -south american PACU fishes were caught - It is a cousin of the pirahna and also has menacing teeth!

Last edited by William Hyde; November 3rd, 2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: type-o

Old November 3rd, 2008 #3
Dan Allan

No wonder the Sierra Club was against the mexinvasion - until they got jewed.

Old November 3rd, 2008 #4
Dale VanderMeer
Your Pro-White Neighbor...

Just proves that the mayans and aztecs are invasive and nonnative species to Northren U.S. America. They want to turn our country into a third world cesspool via the jew and turn Whites in to the same predicament as the axolotl. This should be a clear sign that they are willing to destroy much more than Lake Xochimilco.

Old November 3rd, 2008 #5
Mark
Banned

Parallels our own situation.

A unique and endangered species is near extinction and all the Afro-mestizo can think of is filling his belly with a tamale made from it.

Old November 3rd, 2008 #6
William Hyde
Someday Never Comes

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Parallels our own situation.

A unique and endangered species is near extinction and all the Afro-mestizo can think of is filling his belly with a tamale made from it.
I'm glad you caught that Mark - that is precisely why I posted this news story. Plus I do love nature and I hope they save this fascinating little animal.

Save The Salamanders! Vanquish The Mexicans!

Old November 3rd, 2008 #7
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

For the good of the planet all featherless bipeds darker than a paper bag must be driven to extinction!
(Play God? We are God, if we so choose!)

Old November 3rd, 2008 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

Our ancestors should have cleaned the humanic detritus out of the entire North American continent, right down through Central America, making our continent completely impregnable to foreign attack. This article shows that the same destruction of interesting, valuable animal species is taking place in Mexico as in Africa, where it is called the 'bushmeat crisis.'

Old November 3rd, 2008 #9
Brad
Anti-semite Pro-human

Yeah, but Alex, the jew's had 2000 yrs of christianity working it's mind rotting destructivness, and they probably would have done that, had not the god-damned, mush brained christians saved them, and kept the filthy american mongoloid in the states, let alone the whole continent.

B.B. aka Arbiter of all truth.

Old January 4th, 2010 #10
Alex Linder
Administrator

Battle to save tigers intensifies with only 3,200 left on Earth

Efforts to save the tiger from extinction will be stepped up this year after the World Wide Fund for Nature placed the animal at the top its list of the most endangered species.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...-on-Earth.html

Old January 4th, 2010 #11
William Broad
Banned

I recall reading that species in South America are dying out faster than they can be identified by biologists. Saving the rain forest and no offending muds tends to cancel out any efforts made by liberal dumbies since they back down quickly when the local authorities tell them to scram.

Old January 4th, 2010 #12
Igor Alexander

Perhaps I've been misinformed, but I think it was largely whites that put tigers on the path to extinction. Tigers had a taste for human flesh and would regularly prey on villagers in British colonies, so the Brits started gunning them down wholesale to show them who was boss.

Too bad, as I'd rather have the tigers around than the shitskins they were eating.

Old January 13th, 2010 #13
Alex Linder
Administrator

ILLINOIS SPOTLIGHT: Snakes find a new home

By VINCENT PIERRI (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald

January 9, 2010

LINDENHURST, Ill. - When a snowstorm and bitter cold is on the way, many of us would like to crawl in a hole and hibernate until spring.

It's not practical for humans, but humans helped a group of limbless reptiles do it.

As part of the Western Fox Snake Relocation Project, wildlife experts and staff members of the Lake County Forest Preserve District on Wednesday placed 12 western fox and two garter snakes into a 12-foot-deep underground habitat designed to provide an ideal snake home.

Wildlife biologists carried the snakes in two pillow cases and released them into their new "hibernaculum," which includes an exit for when spring arrives.

"Instead of snakes on the plane, we have snakes underground," said Nan Buckhardt, of the forest preserve district.

Every fall, as many as 200 of the nonpoisonous snakes would leave the marshes near Lindenhurst and make their way to hibernate in the subterranean cracks and crevices of an older home nearby.

The relocation project started in August when officials realized impending development included plans to demolish the vacant house, which would have left the snakes homeless this winter. Fearing many wouldn't survive, a group of experts worked to find a new habitat for the creatures.

Working with volunteers from the Liberty Prairie Conservancy, the team captured and electronically tagged about 50 snakes as they migrated to the soon-to-be-demolished home. Those were released back into the marsh as part of an ongoing study.

The team was able to recapture only a dozen of the western fox snakes for relocation ahead of winter.

"We're not sure what happened to the others," said Michael Corn, the retired dean of biological health sciences at the College of Lake County. "We're hoping they found places of hibernation."

Also leading the team with Corn was Rob Carmichael, of the Wildlife Discovery Center in Lake Forest, and Gary Glowacki, a wildlife biologist for the Lake County Forest Preserve District.

The new habitat is made from two large sections of concrete septic tank sunk into the ground. There are shelves and other niches where the snakes can cozy up. "They like tight spaces to hide in," Corn said.

One might wonder why wildlife experts would go through the trouble to capture and relocate a dozen slithery creatures.

"Certainly the snakes keep the population of small rodents down, but more than that, they are one piece of the ecosystem," Corn said. "If you keep taking away the pieces, at some point the thing falls apart."

Are western fox snakes an endangered species?

"It depends who you ask," Corn said. "They are not on the endangered species list, but you don't see them much anymore. Imagine laying in the street, flat on your stomach, with one eye closed looking up for cars. They are slow moving snakes and don't deal well with automobiles."

Corn said he and his colleagues feel fortunate to work on the project.

"We just like snakes. They are neat critters," he said. "In studying their movements and habits, we found they are distinct from each other and almost have personality traits. It's neat to be able to hold a wild animal. Try doing that with a squirrel."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,2824039.story

Old January 13th, 2010 #14
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Broad View Post
I recall reading that species in South America are dying out faster than they can be identified by biologists.
Yeah, I've been accosted with that since elementary school in the early 80's. It wasn't until I cast-off my mis-education that I realized the statement implies its own denial.

Old January 13th, 2010 #15
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Regarding the snake article:

I don't get the Corn guy. There were so many of these snakes in that one area that they took over a house--Indiana Jones style. Then he implies there aren't many around?

Still a neat story, though. A bit like going from the penthouse to the outhouse, but I'm sure they don't mind.

Old January 13th, 2010 #16
Marty Macaluso

Some organization put out a report on the status of wildlife in Vietnam this past summer. The Vietnamese are literally eating loads of animals into extinction, many of them rare and they are being consumed for all kinds of silly reasons.

Quote:
Vietnam species 'risk extinction'

Experts in Vietnam have warned that the Vietnamese could be eating a number of wild species into extinction.

The chairman of the Vietnam Zoology Association said animals at risk included the rhinoceros, the white-handed gibbon, the civet and the tapir.

He said that demand for wild animal meat had spread from mountain communities to rich urban areas.

Some 200 species are traded in Vietnam - 80 of them rare, according to the Thanhmien News.

The most common ones include snakes, monitor lizards, pangolins, turtles, wild cats, tigers, leopards, bears, elephants, wild boars, deer, monkeys, chamois and porcupines, the newspaper said.

It quoted Prof Dang Huy Huynh, the Vietnam Zoology Association chairman, as saying that wildlife meat was now served in many Vietnamese restaurants and resorts.

An estimated 3,400 tonnes of wild meat - or a million individual animals - are consumed each year, 18% of them illegally, an official from Vietnam's national assembly said.

More than 66% of poached wildlife is used for food, 32% is exported, and a small number of animals are used for pets and medicinal purposes, another official was quoted as saying.

The experts were speaking at a conference for discussing ways to protect Vietnam's wildlife and natural resources.

It was the first time an advising body to the ruling communist party has been involved in efforts to raise awareness about the illegal wildlife trade, according to Traffic, a wildlife trade monitoring network that took part.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8199997.stm

Old January 13th, 2010 #17
Johnny James

They can eat as many tapirs as they want.

Old January 13th, 2010 #18
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
I don't get the Corn guy. There were so many of these snakes in that one area that they took over a house--Indiana Jones style. Then he implies there aren't many around?

Still a neat story, though. A bit like going from the penthouse to the outhouse, but I'm sure they don't mind.
No. Snakes often hibernate in the same location. So, if this house were shut down, it might kill most of the snakes in particular area in one swoop, if they found their normal hibernation place closed for business.

Old January 13th, 2010 #19
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
No. Snakes often hibernate in the same location. So, if this house were shut down, it might kill most of the snakes in particular area in one swoop, if they found their normal hibernation place closed for business.
Ah. . .I think I understand. In a given area, snakes tend all to hibernate together, in an accustomed place. (Snakes of a scale den tail to tail?) If evicted, they'd freeze before finding new digs. Thus no more snakes--or at least a tremendous population drop. It'd be like if Florida closed from September to March.

Similar to salmon returning to a particular stream to spawn. Nature's something else.

I'm imagining someone rehabilitating a similar house, then finding come winter many unexpected guests. Caveat emptor!

Old January 13th, 2010 #20
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
Ah. . .I think I understand. In a given area, snakes tend all to hibernate together, in an accustomed place. (Snakes of a scale den tail to tail?) If evicted, they'd freeze before finding new digs. Thus no more snakes--or at least a tremendous population drop. It'd be like if Florida closed from September to March.
I don't think they ALL hibernate together, but snakes of the same species often have common overwintering places - and sometimes snakes of different species will use the same hibernation hole - I know that rattlesnakes will sometimes hibernate with other species.

What I have seen backs up what scientists say - there has a been a general decline in numbers of reptiles and amphibians. Used to see a lot more snakes, for example, roadkilled back in the 70s than you do today.

If a large population of snakes is used to hibernating at this particular location, why not help them out if you're going to close it off? Itz a White thang. Certainly nigs or mexes wouldn't care. Itz our White job to preserve the more attractive species, to blunt the effects of the verminiferous, and to use our brains to tell the difference! Without getting all religious about it. Nature is no more to be worshiped than Jeboo.

Thread