VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 21st, 2003 #1
Georgie

Default .44 Magnum versus .50 Action Express

.44 Magnum versus .50 Action Express

So which is stronger? I can't seem to find any information out there. Don't suppose anyone has any info?

Old January 4th, 2004 #2
Colonel-Voltz

DE's projectile's kinetic energy and weight exceed that of the .44mag.

See this link for more information. link

Old January 4th, 2004 #3
Georgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel-Voltz
DE's projectile's kinetic energy and weight exceed that of the .44mag.

See this link for more information. link
Thanks, Colonel Voltz.

Old January 23rd, 2004 #4
heaven above

Blimey, what do you want to take out , a car engine ? Heavy stuff for average use.

Old January 23rd, 2004 #5
Georgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven above
Blimey, what do you want to take out , a car engine ? Heavy stuff for average use.
Thing is, if and when it comes down to Urban Warfare. Chances are, the average joe isn't going to have available to them RPG's and stuff like that. So maybe a .44 mag or a .50 AE wouldn't be a bad thing to keep around just in case you come across a BIG target.

Old February 25th, 2004 #6
Granddragon36

Neither gun is light weight or recoil free, but the .50 only comes in a few guns, kicks like a mule (Desert Eagle) and is more expensive, harder to find and costs more to reload for than the .44 Mag. What do you need it for? Another cartridge may fit your needs better.

Old March 12th, 2004 #7
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granddragon36
Neither gun is light weight or recoil free, but the .50 only comes in a few guns, kicks like a mule (Desert Eagle) and is more expensive, harder to find and costs more to reload for than the .44 Mag. What do you need it for? Another cartridge may fit your needs better.
You're right. I had a S&W #29 .44 mag., 7-1/2" bbl., years ago. Shipped it up to Michigan to have it magna-ported for recoil reduction. (They make two laser slits on either side of the the front site. Reduces recoil approx. 10-15%). Not much good for anything other than mid-size game hunting (put a Leupold 2x2 e.e.r scope on it and you're all set). Great fun at the range though! For defensive purposes, a .357 (I own a S&W #686, 4" bbl.) should be enough stopping power for just about anyone. Or, if you want something about halfway in between - in power and, of course recoil - you might want to check out the .41 mag - if S&W still makes it.

Thread