VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 5th, 2022 #201
alex revision

Pollinator Lawn

What is a Bee Lawn?

Bee lawns are made of a tight mix of grasses and low-growing perennials that can be used and treated much like a regular lawn but also offer high-quality nutrition to pollinators.

Why should I plant a Bee Lawn?

Pollinator populations have been declining in part due to habitat loss, pesticide use, and parasitic mites. Pollinators play essential roles in our ecosystems and are responsible for one-third of the food on our plates! Introducing flowering plants into a lawn will help them. Besides this, you are also increasing your yard’s resilience; your yard will have healthier soil and need less fertilizing.

Where do you plant a Bee Lawn?

Turf areas that are not heavily used for recreational purposes or that are primarily aesthetic are great locations. Examples include boulevards, steep or challenging slopes, and right of ways or easements.

https://bluethumb.org/turf-alternati...llinator-lawn/

Old May 8th, 2022 #202
alex revision

Growing Lilac in Your Backyard: Plant Care Tips

Attract butterflies, bees, and birds with easy-to-grow lilac.

Lilacs are such a bright spot in spring, serving as a reminder to us that warmer days are ahead. If you are approaching a garden or neighborhood with blooming lilacs, you’re sure to smell them before you see them. The tiny flower clusters pack a powerful and sweet punch of fragrance that can fill a yard or room, even if you only have a single cut flower.

Growing lilacs in your backyard is fairly simple. This is a forgiving, easy-to-grow shrub; once it's established, it is quite low-maintenance thrive. In addition to its popularity among gardeners, lilac is a good nectar source for pollinators like hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees. Plus, it offers nice year-round habitat for birds. Here, we dive into how to get lilacs to grow and thrive in your garden.

https://www.treehugger.com/growing-l...e-tips-5193457

Old May 23rd, 2022 #203
Susan

Default Ready for summer veggies

Finally got my raised beds all planted for summer. This year I planted four times the okra I planted last year. This year I will just sprinkle my okra with herbs and spices and broil it.

I also planted zucchini squash, yellow squash, cucumbers, peppers, and cantaloupe. And, of course, tomatoes. I may add something else later. I just grow the things I eat a lot of and try to cut back on expenses.

Of course, the food is so much better than anything in the stores. There are people all around me who have more land and bigger garden areas who I could buy from. But why give them my money when with a little hard work I can grow my own and save money.

It looks as if we are going to have a hot, dry summer in Georgia, so I will be watering a lot. It's still worth it to have fresh, safe food.

I was lazy over this past winter and did not do anything in the garden. But I'm making up for it now so I have lots of fresh food.

Times are tough, and will most likely get worse. I am definitely paying more for food but I have also changed my diet to decrease the food I buy. I shop at a number of stores nearby and whenever I find items I eat on clearance, I buy as many as I can afford. Kroger is constantly resetting their items, so when they put something I eat on Closeout, I buy them up. I use coupons, and keep a lot of food on hand.

As I have stated before, I NEVER eat out. Eating out is throwing money away. And the critters fixing your food are filthy people who never wash their hands.

Getting back to my diet changes, I felt as if I were getting pre diabetic, so I greatly reduced my carb intake, eliminating a number of foods. I am a longtime vegan, and I had to give up some foods I loved. But I love all veggies, so I just started eating some more that I rarely ate and all is fine.

The healthiest diet is no meat, no or rare dairy, lots of fresh veggies and fruits, some nuts and grains. I usually eat a salad every day and one other meal of the above.

I am 67, almost 68, and I am on NO medications which is almost unheard of for someone my age. My bp is good, my heart is good.

Old May 29th, 2022 #204
alex revision

15 Lovely Types of Lilies for Your Garden

Transform your yard into a floral-scented paradise.

Perhaps the most recognizable garden flowers, lilies are gorgeous summer-blooming perennials that bring color, texture, and fragrance to any garden. Lilies grow from bulbs into six-petaled flowers of various sizes and shapes atop one- to eight-foot-tall stems. These sturdy, branchless stalks make lilies ideal garden flowers. Native to the temperate climates of North America, Europe, and Asia, lilies can thrive in many hardiness zones.

Here, we’ve selected 15 beautiful lilies you can plant in your own backyard.

https://www.treehugger.com/types-of-lilies-5272159

Old June 12th, 2022 #205
alex revision

How to Create a White Flower Garden This Spring

When you visualize a flower garden, pops of bright color probably come to mind. Stark reds, oranges, yellows, pinks, and purples have their perks—they create variety in a floral display and attract a multitude of important pollinators. However, the benefits of a white flower garden, also called a "shade garden" or "moon garden," are vastly underrated.

White and silver are every seasoned landscaper's trick to brightening a dimly lit area. White reflects light and actually draws the eye to an otherwise dark space, so no intense pigmentation is needed. This is why you sometimes see all-white flowers planted along walkways.

https://www.treehugger.com/white-flower-garden-5323909

Tags
#1, gardening, neo-amish movement

Thread