Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 4th, 2008 #1
notmenomore

Default Scopes/Optics for AR15

I'd be interested in comments/discussion/recommendations for sighting possibilities for AR15 flattops. I'm particularly interested in avoiding "overkill" in the scope department, i.e. much more scope than the carbine (16" barrel) reasonably needs.

There's so many possibilities: red-dot, traditional scoping, holo-scopes, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen night-vision. Prices seem to be all over the place, too. What are your experiences scoping the AR15?

Old December 5th, 2008 #2
reactionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmenomore View Post
I'd be interested in comments/discussion/recommendations for sighting possibilities for AR15 flattops. I'm particularly interested in avoiding "overkill" in the scope department, i.e. much more scope than the carbine (16" barrel) reasonably needs.

There's so many possibilities: red-dot, traditional scoping, holo-scopes, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen night-vision. Prices seem to be all over the place, too. What are your experiences scoping the AR15?
The scope/sight I use is determined by the range I intend to shoot
at. E.g., 100yards or less I use a Trijicon TA11F ACOG; for beyond
100yards I use a Leupold 3.5-10x50 VX-III. The Trijicon is also highly
suitable for close quarter combat shooting.

Old December 5th, 2008 #3
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmenomore View Post

While at a gun show a couple of weeks ago there was a very nice and reasonable priced 3D sight that I wish I had purchased. It was about $50 and had at least four different patterns depending on one's preference.

I'm using iron sights on mine and can put every round into a six inch target at 100 yards with my eye sight alone. I'll try and get the product information on that particular scope I mentioned above as I think it would be just what you're looking for.

It's about 2-3 inches long and about 1.5 inches in diameter. It's a perfect size for an AR15\M16\M4.

Old December 7th, 2008 #4
Neil Hudson

Get a ACOG.

They aim fast like a red dot but they don't need batteries.

Old December 8th, 2008 #5
OTPTT
Banned

I found this site on the Bass Pro Shop website and it's similar to the one I mentioned that I saw at the gun show a couple of weeks ago.

The site that I handled was alleged to have been a holographic site. I do wish I had purchased one at that time although I have made it a policy to not spend money when I see something I like. This would have been a good purchase though looking back.

Here's the link to the website and this particular site.

Bass Pro Shops also has a holographic site but I would never spend $400 for it. It can be found here.

The more I look at the optic above the more it looks like and is likely the same site I saw at the gun show. This one has four different patterns like the one at the show and is similar, if not identical, to the show site I handled. I could have gotten it for around $50 at the show but may pick this one up. If you have an AR15\M16\M4, etc., unless it's got a flat top you'll need an adapter to mount this site.

For example if your rifle has the traditional carry handle you'll need a flat bracket to attach to the handle and then the site to the bracket. I think all can be had for about $75 max. Check online to see if there are any gun shows coming to your area.

I am scheduled to go hunting this next weekend but if I don't there is a gun show in Montgomery that I'll attend. There are a few more items I'm interested in obtaining before the Head Nigger in Charge is forced upon us in January.

Last edited by OTPTT; December 8th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.

Old December 8th, 2008 #6
notmenomore

Default Thanks for the responses!

I've been away for several days and just got home. Thanks for all the ideas, and keep 'em coming. I'll be gun-show attending several times between now and Barry Soetoro's big day!

Old December 10th, 2008 #7
Metal Warrior
Leaving a bruise

One other note: There's a nice Bushnell ACOG variant on OpticsPlanet for $125. Not too shabby, if you want to save $300 or so.

Last edited by Metal Warrior; December 10th, 2008 at 11:49 AM.

Old December 10th, 2008 #8
Derrick MacThomas

Why would you bother putting a scope on a pissanting little 5.56mm? It is not as though it is going to be effective at 600 metres.
Serious question.
Anyone who has ever fired a 5.56mm in anger can tell you that it is not a man killer.
At several hundred metres the amount of energy delivered by a 5.56mm is hardly enough to cause a serious wound, much less kill.
That is the reason why the US military pulled as many M14s as it could find out of mothballs and sent them to Afghanistan, where engagement at some distance are common because of the terrain.
US soldiers (especially special forces) were screaming for them because their M16s were useless.
In all the pix I have seen of our own (Australian) soldiers in Afghanistan they are using captured 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 54 weapons commonly. The 7.62 x 54 sniper rifle seems to be quite popular.
Not trying to reignite a very old argument. I am genuinely curious why you would want to give that sort of long-range capability to a weapon that is useless at long range.

Old December 10th, 2008 #9
reactionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick MacThomas View Post
Why would you bother putting a scope on a pissanting little 5.56mm? It is not as though it is going to be effective at 600 metres.
Serious question.
Anyone who has ever fired a 5.56mm in anger can tell you that it is not a man killer.
Some people might want to use an AR-15 for things in addition to
killing people, things like target shooting and hunting.

Old December 10th, 2008 #10
notmenomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick MacThomas View Post
In all the pix I have seen of our own (Australian) soldiers in Afghanistan they are using captured 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 54 weapons commonly. The 7.62 x 54 sniper rifle seems to be quite popular.
Not trying to reignite a very old argument. I am genuinely curious why you would want to give that sort of long-range capability to a weapon that is useless at long range.

Thanks for joining the thread, Derrick. Your question is reasonable enough, so you might re-read the initial post.

I'm basically only interested in improving on the iron sights that are "factory" with the M4. I agree that that particular carbine is not intended for long range capability. My application would be at 300m max and more likely at around 100m. Old, far-sighted eyes have a hard time with open sights, so some modest optics do help. For example, the Bushnell sight linked by Metal Warrior is a lot of what I had in mind: something economical, practical, and reasonably suited to the capabilities of the carbine.

My own experience is much more with the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 (in an old Moisin-Nagant!). I'm working now a little with the .223 mainly as a learning experience.

Thread