Alex Linder

not sure why that is, or if it was someone's decision

Old 1 Week Ago #42
Stewart Meadows

Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Meadows View Post
Attention mods/admins!

I have a problem, but I didn't want to start a new thread about it, so I'll just write a post about it here, if you don't mind (and if you do, then feel free to delete it and please accept my apologies).

When I visit the subforums Nutzpah Lounge and Support, I only see the threads that were started within the last month. I tried changing the display options from "Last Month" to "Beginning" so that all threads become visible, but if I leave and then return a couple of seconds later, the display options revert to "Last Month".

My question for the mods/admins is: could you make "Beginning" the default option, not just for me, but for everybody, so that we can always see all the threads in these particular subforums? I know that other VNN members also have this problem because somebody started a thread about it several years ago (although I can't find it right now).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I've visited/posted on many forums, but I've never come across this display setting before, so I don't think it's normal. It would be great if you could ask one of your administrators to permanently change the display options from "Last Month" to "Beginning" so that forum members and lurkers can read all the threads, and not just the two or three that were started recently.

Old 4 Days Ago #43
varg

varg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
It was on purpose. Bigger queries to the database make the site go slower. You get full results if you are logged in. I had switched most of the main forums to show everything, but it looks like there are still some older ones (Support & Nutzpah) that I could probably switch to 'show all' ---- if it wasnt just for these two subforums that aren't really the active part of the site, and if it was more than one person asking for it, I might consider making the change.

Though it's not as big of a deal as Stewart is making it, because it will 'show all' for anyone who is logged in. If they log in when viewing those two subforums, it will show everything while protecting us from crawling bots slowing the site down. The cookie that gets set to keep you logged in defaults to expire after a period of time of inactivity (as all sites do)- make sure you check 'keep me logged in' if it is signing you out when you should be kept signed in.

I don't know, making a thread specifically to get answers on why someone was banned, and then pushing in large bold font, posted in multiple places + a PM to me, that we change forum functionality just for their benefit, when there is an easy work around is just wasting our time. Gives me the impression that this person is demanding.

Old 3 Days Ago #44
Stewart Meadows

Stewart Meadows

Varg, I'm sorry if you feel that I'm demanding. It's customary (on VNN as well as on other forums) to start a thread in the Support section if you have questions about why a fellow poster was banned, and I don't think that my OP or my subsequent replies to Alex Linder were disrespectful.

Regarding the display options, I believed that it was a problem, but I didn't want to start a new thread so I wrote about it here. And yes, I sent you a private message about it, but I'm pretty sure that it's the only one I've ever sent to you, so it's not like I'm spamming your mailbox with questions and requests.

In any case, I thank you for your substantive reply, and I apologize if I overstepped my boundaries.

Thread