VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 18th, 2010 #1
Hugh
Holorep survivor

Default Liquids

Water purification

Last edited by Hugh; July 18th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.

Old March 11th, 2013 #2
brutus

Default Lifestraw

Cost about 20 bucks. Might be a good investment for when the SHTF.

http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw

Old March 29th, 2013 #3
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
This bottle is heavy, and gets heavier when filled. I carry mine empty and use the water tight properties to store fire tinder and other items. This bottle is also a little noisy when walking the water swooshes around. If you experience this mere formality just add a bandanna into the bottle and it will serve as a barrier for water movement. It took a little bit to warm up to this bulky heavy chunk of steel, but after some experience I have found it un-replacable as a kit item. It is a bullet proof item. The wide mouth accommodates cooking food. The container is probably the most difficult item to make in the wilderness. Considering that water is number one priority, this item is number one in my kit for its purification and water storage abilities.

Taking a look out there for stainless steel canteens, that can be used to boil water directly in the fire if need be, or as a billy can.

Does anyone have an opinion on these?

http://www.kleankanteen.com/products...-27oz-wide.php

Quote:
Some people are fanatical about how things fit snug together. It would be common to nestle a round GI cup on the bottom of a SS bottle. If there is not a close tolerance the cup will clang around. Nalgene bottles are perfectly dimensioned to the standard size round GI cup.
It is best to have a large opening for food and cleaning the inside of the bottle. I have made char-clothe in my SS bottle and it works great. However, unless it is necessary to do so, use something else and save the hassle of cleaning the bottle. Sand from a stream is a good source for cleaning the inside of these bottles. I also carry a Billy-can to do the dirty work like char-clothe and collecting Pine sap. The primary purpose of my SS bottle is to purify water, so therefore I have learned to keep the bottle pure even though the bottle has multiple uses.
I hope these comments put some light to help you decide if this particular bottle is right for you.
Quote:
Quote.
The Klean Kanteen is a good stainless steel bottle, very comparable to the guyot but les sin cost. It may not be as thick as the guyot bottles but I can tell you first hand, I have had one for years now and it has never failed me. I keep this bottle as part of my scout kit in my haversack. Very easily thrown in a fire to make all your favorite hot beverages!
http://thewoodsmanstradingpost.com/i...products_id=20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
Capacity: 27 fluid ounces (800 ml)
Weight: 6.25 ounces (w/o cap)
Size: 8.625” H (w/o cap) x 2.75” W
Opening diameter: 2.125” (54 mm)
18/8 food-grade stainless steel

Capacity: 40 fluid ounces (1182 ml)
Weight: 7.375 ounces (w/o cap)
Size: 8.625” H (w/o cap) x 3.5” W
Opening diameter: 2.125” (54 mm)
18/8 food-grade stainless steel

Hmm, now what are the chances i can find a cup that will fit snug?

DIMENSIONS: 3 7/8” X 3.5” (diameter x height)WEIGHT: 4.9 oz.
http://beprepared.com/gsir-glacier-s...S&OC=AMAZONADS

The Space Saver Mug fits snuggly over the bottom of a 1 quart, round Nalgene bottle (Dimensions: 8.5 in height x 3.5 in diameter on Nalgene bottle)
Amazon.com: Olicamp Hard Anodized Space Saver Mug (Black Handle): Sports & Outdoors

Think I am going to order the 40 oz Kleen Kanteen wide mouth, and both the cups - and see which one fits the best. If the Olicamp is too tight, I can always use the extra 3/8" space from the GSIR for fire starting equipment for max utilization of space.

Klean Kanteen Wide Mouth Water Bottle
by klean kanteen
4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (153 customer reviews)
List Price: $27.95
Price: $25.45 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $2.50 (9%)
Special Offers Available
In Stock.
Amazon.com: Klean Kanteen Wide Mouth Water Bottle: Sports & Outdoors

Old March 29th, 2013 #5
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Just bought two stainless cups, 18 oz, for $4.95 each at wallyworld. They are Ozark Trail brand, but look identical to the GSI cups. I've read on a bushcraft forum the Nalgene fits perfectly in them like the GSI.

Old November 14th, 2013 #7
keifer

http://readynutrition.com/resources/...ater_19062010/

Many outdoors men, survivalists, and households preparing for emergency disasters rely upon common household bleach as a disinfecting agent to make water safe to drink.

Bleach will destroy most (but NOT all!) disease causing organisms (boiling water to make it safe to drink is always the best method).

What is not well known is Calcium Hypochlorite is far better for chemically disinfecting water.
Old Way: Using Bleach to Disinfect Water

I cringe to think how many people have expired bleach in their disaster emergency kits that will be used for treating polluted water.

Those of us who have emergency preparedness stocks of survival food and survival gear often keep a gallon or two of unscented household bleach on hand for making safe drinking water in large quantities. Bleach is often the chemical of choice because it is commonly available and frequently mentioned when discussing the how-to’s of drinking water.

Typical fresh household chlorine bleach has about 5.35% chlorine content (be sure to read the label).

To use household bleach for disinfecting water:

Add two drops of bleach per quart or liter of water.
Stir it well.
Let the mixture stand for a half hour before drinking.

If the water is cloudy with suspended particles:

First filter the water as best you can.
Double the amount of bleach you add to the water.

Why Using Bleach to Disinfect Contaminated Water is a Problem

A little known problem with long term storage of bleach in your disaster emergency supply cache is that it degrades over time. Consulting a Chlorox bleach representative produced this statement:

“We recommend storing our bleach at room temperatures. It can be stored for about 6 months at temperatures between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. After this time, bleach will be begin to degrade at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water. Storing at temperatures much higher than 70 degrees Fahrenheit could cause the bleach to lose its effectiveness and degrade more rapidly. However, if you require 6% sodium hypochlorite, you should change your supply every 3 months.”

I cringe to think how many people have expired bleach in their disaster emergency kits that will be used for treating polluted water. Even what are considered reliable sources of information such as the EPA and the Federal Emergency Management Agency FEMA will show you how to use bleach to disinfect water but will leave out this exceedingly important piece of information.

This is why I created Survival Topics – to give you the real information you need to survive.

So if bleach is unreliable for long term storage in emergency preparedness kits then what other commonly available chemical methods of disinfecting water are there? As it turns out a better solution is easily available.
Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water

Calcium hypochlorite is one of the best chemical disinfectants for water, better than household bleach by far. It destroys a variety of disease causing organisms including bacteria, yeast, fungus, spores, and viruses.

Calcium Hypochlorite is widely available for use as swimming pool chlorine tablets or white powder that is much more stable than chlorine. This is often known as “pool shock”.
How to Disinfect Water Using Calcium Hypochlorite

Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water is a two step process.

To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water.
To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated.
Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.

Be sure to obtain the dry granular calcium hypochlorite since once it is made into a liquid solution it will begin to degrade and eventually become useless as a disinfecting agent. This also means you should make your treated drinking water in small batches, for example enough for a few weeks at a time at most.

Another plus for using calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water for emergency use is that a little goes a very long way. A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form typically costs only a few US dollars and can be obtained in any swimming pool supply section of your hardware store or online. This amount will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water, which is enough for a family of four for some six or seven years at a gallon per day per person!

Calcium hypochlorite will store for a long period of time and remain effective as a chemical drinking water treatment. So get rid of the household bleach and buy a can of Calcium hypochlorite for your disaster emergency water disinfection needs. It lasts far longer and treats far more water than the traditional chlorine bleach water disinfection treatment.

Thread