Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > The Personal Solution: Living White > Working
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old February 19th, 2012 #121
Craig Cobb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjjames View Post
I've been here for 5 weeks & haven't scored a oil job yet.
Decided to take a 'local' job for abit - till something better comes along.
Try all the oil services companies right where HW 85 leaves town for a few miles down the highway. Construction companies pay well too. You can see all the construction going on. They pay a lot of overtime. Walk onto job sites and trucking companies. Don't only rely on jobsnd offices.

Also, since you have 5 weeks experience of the place, tell us those.

He gets a job at $17 an hr on a 120 hr week (80 hrs overtime) , but opts for a 70 hr week (30 hrs overtime). Doesn't seem happy about his bad luck, lol. Different generation I guess. Probably figures a gent of his elan and experience shouldn't settle for less than $100K clear a year.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #123
James Hawthorne

Thumbs up Boom Town

Just arrived in ND a few tips which may help others. Go to the companies early in the morning when office staff are on 9.00am. Fill out the application complete. Ask if it would be possible to interview same day. Drug testing can be done same day, the employer can check "instant test" and the drug testing center will fax over your result saving time the next day. If you are driving bring a warm comforter, pillow, you will proberbly have to sleep in your car at first, but it is well worth it. Most companies supply housing (trailer) with the job on site too in most cases.

Craig is right, don't bother with ND Jobs.com get down to the companies and fill out the application.

Boom Town here in ND, if you pass the drug test you are hired. This is an "employees market" in ND.

Don't wait !

VNN Media

Last edited by James Hawthorne; March 23rd, 2012 at 08:12 AM.

Old March 23rd, 2012 #124
-JC
Doesn't suffer fools well

Default Domestic Energy Boom and New Industrial Revolution as N. America Becomes New Middle East...

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2012/03/...8CARPE+DIEM%29

Old April 13th, 2012 #125
Craig Cobb
Banned

Two young guys quit in mu co. last night at 11. Stupid. Conact me via PM quick and don't ask a bunch of lopey, loopey questions like 'how can I get there' etc. This place has trailers you can live in for $10 a day off your salary. If you can't follow orders or have never worked physical, don't bother.

Old April 23rd, 2012 #126
J.Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Cobb View Post
Two young guys quit in mu co. last night at 11. Stupid. Conact me via PM quick and don't ask a bunch of lopey, loopey questions like 'how can I get there' etc. This place has trailers you can live in for $10 a day off your salary. If you can't follow orders or have never worked physical, don't bother.
Thank you for the information Mr. Cobb. It is appreciated. I wish I could make it there sooner.

Old May 7th, 2012 #127
Stjjames

Quote:
Try all the oil services companies right where HW 85 leaves town for a few miles down the highway. Construction companies pay well too. You can see all the construction going on. They pay a lot of overtime. Walk onto job sites and trucking companies. Don't only rely on jobsnd offices.

Also, since you have 5 weeks experience of the place, tell us those.

He gets a job at $17 an hr on a 120 hr week (80 hrs overtime) , but opts for a 70 hr week (30 hrs overtime). Doesn't seem happy about his bad luck, lol. Different generation I guess. Probably figures a gent of his elan and experience shouldn't settle for less than $100K clear a year.
5 days of job searching in Williston, North Dakota - YouTube

Oh yeah - I hit all of the spots, my poor (still have a few tickets from years back) driving record screwed me out of a number of gigs - I have an assault 4 on my record, which is I could imagine caused me to fail a couple of background checks.
Everyone said they weren't hiring till March 1st. I found a 'local' gig by then & haven't looked back - where we can carry - open or concealed (we have a gunstore in house) & one of the main boss's openly wears a 'deaths head' ring. I'm making $19 an hour & average about 20 hours overtime a week. I'm indoors, there's girls around (87 to 1 ratio out here) & all in all it's not too bad. I tugged a small travel trailer out here & have since upgraded to a 26' motorhome - I'm parking it out near Alexander. The commute is abit of a bitch, I'm spending about $70 a week on gas, alas 37" tires & a V8 aren't a recipe for frugality :-/
There isn't much out here, the food sucks, the beer sucks, it's flat, the wind never stops & the women are meh - but there is work.

Old May 7th, 2012 #128
Craig Cobb
Banned

Thx for posting the good news. Sounds as if your gross is approx. $2,600 every two weeks. Not bad at all considering this country is in a depression. The lack of things to do and long hrs help you save too.

Old May 10th, 2012 #129
Justin
Banned

Quote:
Hey, sorry I didn't reply to this quicker, I've been gone for awhile. Are the 2 you posted about above still open? If I can find one of the places that provides housing I'd be able to leave in a week. Is the housing they provide close enough I'd not need a vehicle? The vehicle part is my only real problem right now, lol. I can't buy a cheapo and expect to get 1,000 miles to there with it, but I can't very well head up there and expect to find one there the first day either. I've got a job this week that should be paying $750-ish, so I may be up there next week.

Old May 12th, 2012 #130
James Hawthorne

Lightbulb While the rest of the Kwa sits in Economic Depression...

Last year, the state produced 113 million barrels of oil -- nearly tripling its pre-boom rate and making North Dakota the fourth-largest oil producing state, up from ninth just a few years ago. By the end of last year, there were more than 6,000 wells capable of producing oil and gas in North Dakota, and an additional 20,000 wells could be drilled within the next 10 or 20 years, followed by more than 30 years of pumping oil. The only thing that could stop a boom, experts say, is if oil plummeted below $40 or $50 per barrel, or the government cracked down on fracking. “This boom is just wild and crazy,” says Ward Koeser, mayor of Williston, the largest city in the center of the oil activity. “It’s more than you can fathom.” ... (Full Article at Link)

http://www.governing.com/topics/ener...ing-curse.html

VNN Media

Old May 12th, 2012 #131
-JC

Default 200 Year Supply of Oil in Green River Formation...

200 Year Supply of Oil in Green River Formation

Posted: 12 May 2012 08:23 AM PDT

Graphics:

The Green River Formation, the world's largest oil shale deposit, is located in a largely vacant region of mostly federal land on the western edge of the Rocky Mountains that includes portions of Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado (see map above).

Here's an excerpt from testimony about the Green River Formation that was provided on Thursday by Anu K. Mittal, Government Accountability Office (GAO) Director of Natural Resources and Environment, to the House Subcommittee on Energy and Environment, Committee on Science, Space, and Technology titled "Unconventional Oil and Gas Production: Opportunities and Challenges of Oil Shale Development":

"The Green River Formation—an assemblage of over 1,000 feet of sedimentary rocks that lie beneath parts of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming—contains the world’s largest deposits of oil shale. USGS estimates that the Green River Formation contains about 3 trillion barrels of oil, and about half of this may be recoverable, depending on available technology and economic conditions. The Rand Corporation, a nonprofit research organization, estimates that 30 to 60 percent of the oil shale in the Green River Formation can be recovered. At the midpoint of this estimate, almost half of the 3 trillion barrels of oil would be recoverable. This is an amount about equal to the entire world’s proven oil reserves."

MP: Surprisingly, this testimony got almost no press coverage, here's one exception from CNS News. Shouldn't it be newsworthy that the U.S. has 1.5 trillion barrels of recoverable oil in the Green River Formation, an amount even greater than this estimate of
List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves
in the entire world? The GAO did issue a study in October 2010 that may have already identified the vast resources in the Green River area, so maybe this is old news and not worth reporting.

But with current U.S. daily oil consumption running at about 19.5 million barrels, the staggering amount of Green River reserves would by itself supply domestic oil consumption for more than 200 years! The testimony also mentioned that industry experts estimate future development of Green River to be 15-20 years away, but it's not clear if that's due to federal regulatory issues or limitations of current drilling technology.

Even if development is 15-20 years away, the vast untapped energy resources of Green River, the largest oil shale deposit in the world, provide additional support for the idea that "peak oil" is "peak idiocy" (Mike Munger explains here).

Graphics:

Last edited by -JC; May 12th, 2012 at 09:46 PM.

Old May 12th, 2012 #132
-JC

Default North Dakota's Amazing Economic Success; It's Not Just About Oil, A Pro-Business Climate Gets Credit. Let's Call it the

North Dakota's Amazing Economic Success; It's Not Just About Oil, A Pro-Business Climate Gets Credit. Let's Call it the "Dakota Model" of Job Creation

Posted: 11 May 2012 07:37 PM PDT

The "Dakota Model"of Economic Development and Job Creation

Graphics:

It's been widely reported here and elsewhere that North Dakota's economy is booming, thanks largely to the energy-related prosperity in the western part of the state. The Peace Garden State's jobless rate is the lowest in the country at 3% for March, more than five percentage points below the national average of 8.1%. Per-capita personal income in North Dakota increased more than 78% since 2000, more than double the 37.4% increase in per-capita income nationally.

The chart above displays monthly payroll employment levels for North Dakota and the U.S. back to January 2000 with both series expressed as indexes equal to 100 in January 2000. Overall employment in North Dakota has been growing steadily over the last decade, with a sharp acceleration over the last four years. Even the Great Recession that crippled the national labor market, barely slowed job creation in North Dakota. While the national economy is still 3.6% and five million jobs below December 2007 levels, North Dakota's payrolls are 15% above pre-recession levels (see chart).

A recent news report highlights the fact that North Dakota's economic success is not only due to oil prosperity, but also because of its pro-business climate and amazingly well-diversified economy, with many booming sectors including manufacturing, tourism, advanced manufacturing, information technology and agriculture. According to North Dakota Commerce Commissioner Alan Anderson, “Oil is just one piece of our economic success and our economy is much bigger and more diverse than ever before.” In fact, the oil industry is responsible for only 25% of the state's revenue collections. Mr. Anderson highlights some of North Dakota's diversified economic success:

1. The state's technology sector has gained national recognition and its information technology job growth has been triple that of the nation. Microsoft and Amazon have both recently expanded in the state. Amazon added a 30,000-square-foot facility that will expand its customer service operations in Grand Forks and create 200 full-time jobs. Microsoft’s Fargo campus is one of the larger Microsoft locations worldwide, and its three buildings house over 1,500 employees, vendors and contingent staff.

2. Manufacturing continues to grow in North Dakota. One example is the recent expansion announcement by Caterpillar in West Fargo. Construction has started on a $50 million project that will create about 250 new jobs during the next three years, nearly doubling the plant’s current workforce. Caterpillar officials told us that North Dakota’s pro-business climate was a major factor in its decision to expand in West Fargo. Phoenix International, a company that manufactures electronics for John Deere, recently broke ground on a $22 million expansion project that will include 90,000 additional square feet in Fargo for an expanded work force. Other industrial expansions include WCCO Belting in Wahpeton, Harris Manufacturing in Oakes, and at the Monsanto and Cargill facilities in the Fargo area. Cargill recently started a $50-million expansion project and Monsanto has completed a $17.5 million expansion that has created 20 new jobs.

3. Tourism is another area that continues to drive North Dakota’s economy as the third-largest contributor to gross state product. The tourism industry growth is visible by looking at the number of new hotels constructed across the state. In the past two years, 21 new hotels have opened, adding 1,474 sleeping rooms in 11 communities. Another 24 hotels are under development and are expected to add another 1,800 rooms by later this year.

MP: It's interesting to know that North Dakota's economic success goes beyond its energy sector. The state's pro-business climate gets some of the credit for the impressive job growth over the last five years. Whatever North Dakota is doing, it's working, and the state should be a nationwide model for economic development and job growth - call it the "Dakota Model" (HT: Eagle Eye, see comments).

Last edited by -JC; May 12th, 2012 at 09:47 PM.

Old May 12th, 2012 #133
Mr. Bowmont

I would love to head out there and make that much money but my skill set is more mental than physical. Is there a need for something like that out there?

Old May 13th, 2012 #134
Craig Cobb
Banned

Sure cerebral belle. You could dispatch taxi cabs in Williston Mr. Bowmont. Or with the right engineering degree make a couple thousand a day watching a live vid of the drill bit on a screen.

Old May 14th, 2012 #135
Craig Cobb
Banned

No takers with NSM or Terrible Tommy's CA and worldwide skin lone wolfs. Deal is that one guy got fired and one will work in new rig area of company. We are two men short. If somebody here is wild enough to drive 8 or 15 hours or however far away you are, there is a great chance you'll be clearing $36 to $40K a year for this particular work. It is easy work too. Do not respond if you are not hard work-able, cooperative, serious, non-manipulative. The current generation is in an absolutely woeful way. This I have learned. You can PM me. If you don't drive immediately, the opportunity will go to someone else. Would rather have a cooperative rightist around. It's a chance. I am not doing the hiring. Just a very positive chance. PM me. Posted Monday 7pm Central.

Last edited by Craig Cobb; May 14th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.

Old May 14th, 2012 #136
Nate Richards

Quote:
I'm making $19 an hour & average about 20 hours overtime a week.
GJ, man! I have to hail that victory, it's almost identical to mine. I got on with a roustabout company at $19 here recently but I only got 15 hrs overtime last week which was fine with me since I desperately needed the saturday to get some things done. Got a brand new mattress now and everything else is fixed, stocked up, and the monthly stuff is paid off.

Craig: I'd heard about the oil boom up here before you posted about it, and briefly thought of coming up here. I decided it just wouldn't be worth it. Have tried, but can't remember how I came to that conclusion. Your thread being locked at top of news section kept the possibility in sight, in mind, and provided useful details. Ultimately it caused me to move here.

I have some relatively small debts and things to take care of, but I want to make some WN "kickbacks" to you and Linder. I used podblanc a lot but never got around to contributing. I'll send 100 for that if you're getting it going again, or whatever other project like a distribution. Anything "mass media" that potentially reaches plenty of others. 100 also to VNN, or 200 to VNN if you don't have something going at the moment. Can do this within next two weeks, and will help in the future also but I don't want to commit to amounts or times yet as I'm working on some improvements here.

You guys reading this: If you're young, healthy, and unmarried you must be an idiot for not being here already.

Get a van and get here. I don't have a lot of free time but will try to provide some useful information in future posts. If you've been on vnn a while and want to ask any questions in pm's, I'll do my best to answer them.

Williston city is cracking down on the more obvious street parking, and the community center(Raymond Family Center) has changed rules to make it difficult for workers to get showers. There are still places to get showers.

I'd warn against campers, trailers, anything you have to tow. If you don't have some skilled trade, connections, and well-laid plans(a client or employer with a spot for you to plant it) you will just find yourself a long drive away from the action and probably still paying pretty dearly for that little place to park. Just get a van and stay in town. It makes the job hunt so much easier. You can still dodge rent altogether and maximize profit.

Old May 15th, 2012 #137
Craig Cobb
Banned

Thx Nate, I'm real glad it worked out for you. StjJames said a few posts back that he resides in a trailer camp in Alexander. I've driven through Alexander many times. It is maybe 30 miles out from Williston. I've noticed a plethora of new camps there. Sure you could rent space. Don't want to completely discourage bringing a small trailer--just have cash to rent parking space. But a 4 cylinder truck with a basic camper shell works.

Post some more info on the showers situation in Williston if you will. As well as your continuing perceptions and experiences about the place.

Send any contribution to Alex rather than myself. He will use it well for VNN's costs and to analyze these current times Kwa for us all.

PB coming back. Gotta ring 'em to see if upload is completed. Thx too that you found it useful.

Technically the center of the action is more south of Williston--where Alexander is.

It's just really good to hear you made it here. This is just tremendous. Now I know of four men who have come here in part due to info in this thread. That's a start.

EDIT: Nate Richards said and is correct!
Quote:
You guys reading this: If you're young, healthy, and unmarried you must be an idiot for not being here already.

Get a van and get here. I don't have a lot of free time but will try to provide some useful information in future posts. If you've been on vnn a while and want to ask any questions in pm's, I'll do my best to answer them.

...Just get a van and stay in town. It makes the job hunt so much easier. You can still dodge rent altogether and maximize profit.

Last edited by Craig Cobb; May 15th, 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Old May 15th, 2012 #138
James Hawthorne

Lightbulb North Dakota: riding the oil rush

Oil has brought money and jobs to this sparsely populated region –
but residents fear a ban on fracking will stop the boom

Williston, North Dakota, the town at the centre of the oil rush.
Some suggest Williston could experience a tenfold rise in population

North Dakota sits on top of the largest continuous oil deposit in the lower 48 states. The Bakken shale formation covers about 200,000 square miles, extending through North Dakota and Montana into the Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan and Manitoba. There are also moves to look for oil in South Dakota, too.

The US Geological Survey estimated in 2008 there were 4bn barrels of recoverable oil in the Bakken Formation. Oil company estimates range as high as 24bn barrels.

Geologists have known about those oil deposits since 1951, but could not easily get at the oil – contained in relatively shallow layer of rock – with traditional well-drilling techniques. A second oil rush in the 1970s and 1980s also sputtered out, because of a fall in global oil prices.

North Dakota oil would still be in the ground if it weren't for technological advances, such as horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing. Horizontal drilling means there is virtually no chance of drilling a dry well; oil companies had a 99% success rate in 2011.

Now state officials and oil industry executives say this time they expect the boom to last – unless there is a ban on the process known as fracking.

"My biggest concern is that the federal government will put a two-year moratorium on fracking," said Ward Koeser, the mayor of Williston, the town at the centre of the oil rush. "We all hear the term fracking and it has a pretty bad image."

With the new techniques, crews use sensors to drill up to 2 miles below the surface of the earth, and then track formations for up to 2 miles, fracking the well by injecting huge volumes of water sand and chemical into the ground to blast the oil out of the rock.

It's costly and environmentally damaging. It can take up to 3m gallons of water to open up a single well, and there will eventually be 50,000 wells in this corner of North Dakota. The state is already tapping into one of the six reservoirs on the Missouri river.

Therre are also concerns about flaring, the widespread practice of burning off the natural gas coming out of the wells. Ceres, the sustainable investment group, warned last month that flaring in North Dakota was producing as many carbon emissions as putting more than 380,000 new cars on the road. And that's just the beginning of the climate change impacts of producing and using all that oil.

But for now, North Dakota is riding the rush. State officials have said the oil boom is bringing in about $2bn a month to this sparsely populated region, and dramatically reversing a steady decline in population.

Drilling a well creates about 120 direct jobs, and about 420 additional jobs in spin-off industries.

Williston is now the fastest growing micro-city in America. Some projections suggest that the town, which a few years ago had a population of 10,000, could soon be home to 100,000.

Koeser can't quite envisage that. He has been mayor for 18 years, and can't see Williston growing beyond 50,000. But he acknowledges the area is in for tremendous change.

As with the influx of oil workers, there have been winners and losers. A handful of farmers have become multi-millionaires overnight by leasing land to oil companies.

Typically, however, mineral rights are divided among several different family members. A single individual may get only a relatively small share of the oil revenue – but that could still amount to about $5,000 a month when the well is running strong, Koeser said.

The oil boom is also boosting pay cheques. In the last two years, the average weekly wage has risen from $1,000 to $1,400, according to figures supplied by the city.

But rents in Williston have gone up even faster than salaries, rising from $500 a month for a two-bedroom apartment to $2,500 a month.

Some locals may end up with nothing at all in this boom – or may even be forced out, Koeser said.

"Young people accept it quite well. They see a lot of opportunities. They don't mind the traffic. They don't mind waiting in stores," Koeser said. "But the older people are stressed by it. They kind of liked living in a town of 12,500 where everybody knew everybody."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...iding-oil-rush

VNN Media

Old May 17th, 2012 #139
Nate Richards

Yeah I ride through Alexander and "Arnie-gard" twice a day. Some saturday I may get to run in and see that museum for a minute. I have a short list of frivolous things to buy, and a good camera is near the top. We work near a lot of ruined farms and churches. They aren't so easily ruined, though. The paint is gone, for decades on some of them, but they are all standing up nice and straight. Not enough niggers and tornados up here, I guess.

Quote:
Sure you could rent space. Don't want to completely discourage bringing a small trailer--just have cash to rent parking space. But a 4 cylinder truck with a basic camper shell works.
Lots of people are making it work that way, I just know my way and it worked pretty well. I have to join my crew here in Williston every morning anyway, so its nice to sleep a few blocks away and be able to move whenever I need to. And I can sleep til 6:30 and be at my 7 am job no problem.

If you aren't bringing a wife or kids with you, it's very efficient to use a van. Big as possible while still fitting in a normal parking space. It's going to be very difficult for the city to ban that. Businesses don't tend to bother you because you park too late and leave too early to be a problem.

Old May 20th, 2012 #140
Nate Richards

The truck stop next to WalMart has only one shower, and you will be in line if you go at prime times, plus it costs 10 dollars. Still worth it if you need it. White owned. All the overnight workers, except one, are friendly and will stop charging you after they see you a few times. Be a night owl when you first come up here and use that place. Wallyworld is hell when it's busy, shop there between midnight and 7 am. Most of the new stuff is up on the shelves in the early morning anyway.

Tesoro near that main intersection, highway 2 and West Dakota pkwy has 2 showers, so you usually don't have to wait. Also costs 10 dollars and I've rarely used it. Seems to be Korean owned. Kinda fun to watch the bitch chew her husband in front of everyone, but they're polite to customers usually.

Jobsnd is almost useless. For informational purposes only. That's my experience and corroborated by everyone I've talked to. You need to get here and show your face. If you have the right degree maybe you can do it from a distance.

Raymond Family Center is saying that some incidents led to crack-down on showering, but they are constantly hosting big RV, camper, car, etc shows and I think they don't want potential renters and their potential customers turned off by beat-up vehicles and bunches of dirty workers flocking there in the evenings. You can still shower there, but you can no longer buy membership a month at a time. You need to buy 6 months. You also have to "use the gym", she says, before showering, so I have to grin picturing some poor bastard going in there dead tired and dirty only to have to go through the motions of bouncing a basketball around so he can use a little water. I haven't used the place in a while but it was pretty reasonable when I first got here in February. 30 dollars a month, I think, but was crowded at the times when most people need showers.

This article says you have to buy a year's membership http://oilpatchdispatch.areavoices.c...nd-in-hallway/

It's less of a problem for me these days as our shop has a shower, and I get back in early enough to use it about half the time. I've heard its pretty common for companies like mine to have one. Helps keep the new guys from hopping to another job so fast. These places tend to have a high turnover, as there's always a few dollars more somewhere else.

If you have to spend 10 bucks, it's still worth it, considering what you'll make at these jobs.

Wallyworld will hire anybody to stock shelves at night, 14.20 but you can probably get more if you try. Half the workers there are employees transferred from elsewhere, make good money and they're put up in a hotel. If you've worked in a store before, you should be able to get more than 14.

I've been told that Elite Fitness has several showers and is easy to use, but i don't know the cost or if it's true. Anytime fitness only has one and is too busy/expensive, from what I've heard.

Tags
craig cobb, dickinson, jobsnd, jobsnd.com, white nationalism, williston

Thread