VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 30th, 2017 #21
Scaramantula
Zen Fascist

'Star Trek Discovery': The Franchise's Answer to the Trump Era

Quote:
...Harberts and Berg soon found themselves running the show. Handed the reigns, they started to envision a slightly darker version of the usual Trek stories.

There's a simple reason for that: Donald Trump.

The Trump phenomenon was "front and center in our minds," Harberts admits when talking about the post-Fuller production process. "We felt like it would be interesting to really look at what's going on in the United States." He mentions that among the show's antagonists are an ultra-religious and violent Klingon faction whose rallying cry – "Remain Klingon" – is intentionally reminiscent of "Make America Great Again."

"It's a call to isolationism," the showrunner says in reference to the slogan. "It's about racial purity, and it's about wanting to take care of yourself. And if anybody is reaching a hand out to help you, it's about smacking it away . . . That was pretty provocative for us, and it wasn't necessarily something that we wanted to completely lean into. But it was happening. We were hearing the stories."

"We're living in monstrous times, let's not dance around it," Jason Isaacs says, in a separate interview. "Hideous, divisive times, when all sorts of stuff we thought was long buried is coming to the surface, and being encouraged by the most powerful people on the planet. We're living in disgusting times.

"I don't think science fiction can solve any of these things," he continues. "But we are holding up an optimistic vision of what the world could be – a better vision of ourselves."...

..... "Seeing people in a future – this is 2256 we're talking about – be equal, and have a system based on that equality … it's powerful," Martin-Green says. "To see that, and to see the equality that stems from that, but it doesn't need to be discussed, because it's inherent. I think people need to see not just that we can fight together and be triumphant, but that we can get to a future where it's a non-issue, where it's not necessary to talk about that. People need to see that … that it is possible."

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/featu...p-era-w504563#

Old October 1st, 2017 #22
Ray Allan

Lucky for me I don't get the channel this garbage is being broadcast on, so I can't see it even if I wanted to.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old October 6th, 2017 #23
WayneW67

It has always bothered me that Hollywood takes a perfectly good movie, show or idea and corrupts it with the addition of niggers and faggots. We haven't gone to a movie in years.

Old November 2nd, 2017 #24
Ray Allan

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Thread