VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 21st, 2009 #1
alex revision

Default Uppal asks for Holocaust memorial

Uppal asks for Holocaust memorial

http://www.sherwoodparknews.com/Arti...aspx?e=1762575

Edmonton-Sherwood Park MP Tim Uppal has introduced a private member’s bill in the House of Commons that aims at building a Holocaust memorial in Ottawa.

“When I came across this idea, and did some of my own research, I really felt that Canada should have a national monument, a memorial to those who were victims of the Holocaust,” Uppal said from Ottawa on Friday. “It was important for me to bring something forward that had some substance and was important for all of Canada.”

Uppal said the memorial is needed so people remember the role Canada played in the Second World War.

“It’s an event that changed the history of the world and Canada was member of the Allied Forces that went in there. We stood up against atrocities like the Holocaust and we have to remember that we always will,” he said. “This monument will serve as a symbol of Canadian values and diversity as much as it will be a memorial for the millions of victims and families destroyed.”

If passed, the act will establish a committee to come up with a design and a location for the monument, according to Uppal. The monument is to be funded by donations, so there will be no government funding for the project. The only thing the federal government is expected to provide is a small piece of land for the monument.

“It’s important we aren’t throwing millions of dollars at something during this economic recession,” Uppal said.

The rookie MP said he is confident the bill is high enough on the list that it will make it to the floor and he expects the opposition will support it.

“If parliament continues, even for a little while, it will be debated and voted on so this is for real,” he said.

The idea behind this initiative came from student and Thornhill, Ont. resident Laura Grosman.

“I wanted a place to reflect on those whose lives were cut short by the brutality of the Nazis as well as to honour the Canadians who fought against state-sanctioned hatred and anti-Semitism. This monument will be a beacon to remind Canadians of the need to remain ever vigilant to protect the world from tyrannical oppression and atrocities against mankind. I am honoured that Mr. Uppal has taken an interest in this initiative and I look forward to working with him and Members of Parliament from all parties to advance it through the parliamentary process,” said Grosman, founder of the Canadian Memorial Holocaust Project.

Her MP, Peter Kent, Minister of State of Foreign Affairs supports the project.

“Although, as a minister I’m unable to sponsor a private member’s bill, I was honoured to help connect the driving force behind the project, Laura Grosman, with Tim Uppal. I commend Tim for carrying the Holocaust memorial bill forward. And I applaud (other MPs) for their support for this worthy non-partisan cause. I will do everything I can to assist in moving this bill through the House of Commons and the Senate,” he said in a press release.

Thread