Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 12th, 2019 #21
Ray Allan

To think I once owned this 1966 Hogan's Heroes lunchbox as a kid which is now a collector item worth hundreds of dollars.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old November 13th, 2019 #22
Hugh Akston
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
To think I once owned this 1966 Hogan's Heroes lunchbox as a kid which is now a collector item worth hundreds of dollars.

I was in the 6th grade in 1966, and remember that lunch box. Hogan's Heroes had premiered a year earlier, in 1965. Others had Batman or The Addams Family or The Munsters or Lost In Space on them, to mention just a few. Star Trek premiered late in 1966, so I'm not sure they had time to introduce one before I left elementary school forever.

Old November 13th, 2019 #23
Hugh Akston
Banned

I first saw Anne Francis in Forbidden Planet, only to see her turn up in 1965 in this TV series:

Old November 14th, 2019 #24
Gladiatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Akston View Post
I was in the 6th grade in 1966, and remember that lunch box. Hogan's Heroes had premiered a year earlier, in 1965. Others had Batman or The Addams Family or The Munsters or Lost In Space on them, to mention just a few. Star Trek premiered late in 1966, so I'm not sure they had time to introduce one before I left elementary school forever.

I had this lunchbox in the first grade. Around a year after it came out. And people wonder why I actually studied "witchcraft" decades later. Witch (not a misspelling) I was quite good at.

Last edited by Gladiatrix; November 14th, 2019 at 12:45 AM.

Old November 15th, 2019 #25
Hugh Akston
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiatrix View Post
And people wonder why I actually studied "witchcraft" decades later.
We wonder no more, as you must have been the one who put a hex on Stormfront.

Old November 16th, 2019 #26
Stewart Meadows

Hugh, thank you for making this thread interesting by bringing up Star Trek and Forbidden Planet. (Yeah, I like science fiction.)

Quote:
I first saw Anne Francis in Forbidden Planet, only to see her turn up in 1965 in this TV series:
The protagonist in Forbidden Planet, commander John J. Adams, was played by a young Leslie Nielsen, who later became known for starring in lots of hilarious parody movies.

Old November 16th, 2019 #27
Gladiatrix

Quote:
We wonder no more, as you must have been the one who put a hex on Stormfront.
Yeah, the sustaining membership check I sent in. No idea what's going on over there.

Old November 16th, 2019 #28
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Meadows View Post
Hugh, thank you for making this thread interesting
By the way, I wasn't implying that the other people in this thread posted nonsense. After all, ColdFire mentioned Knight Rider, and Ray mentioned Airwolf, which are two good TV series that I used to watch when I was a kid in the 1980s (although they can't beat Star Trek).

Old November 16th, 2019 #29
Hugh Akston
Banned

"Book 'em, Danno! Oh, wait, Ilya - that's another show."

Old November 17th, 2019 #30
Hugh Akston
Banned

In this episode, the crew of Fireball XL-5 are headed for New Earth, a human colony (of all white puppets, btw) that has settled there. The series 39 episodes were all filmed in black & white, and if you've ever watched all 39 of them (as I have) you'll recognize the storylines of a number of original Star Trek episodes. "Steve Zodiac" (no kinship to the Zodiac Killer™) served as the "Captain Kirk" of the interstellar-capable rocket ship that journeyed to many alien planets over the course of its run.

Captain Zodiac with the beautiful Dr. Venus of the XL-5:

Only one of the 39 episodes was ever "colorized" - "A Day In The Life Of A Space General" - and the results were excellent:

The full colorized episode:

And the closing credits theme song:

Old November 18th, 2019 #31
Ray Allan

I remember Fireball XL-5, too. I even had a toy Fireball at the same time as my Hogan's Heroes lunchbox. Gerry Anderson of course, later produced The Thunderbirds, UFO and Space: 1999. Funny, that picture of the Moon's surface in the thumbnail looks like the same location as Moonbase Alpha.

Old November 18th, 2019 #32
Hugh Akston
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Meadows View Post
The protagonist in Forbidden Planet, commander John J. Adams, was played by a young Leslie Nielsen, who later became known for starring in lots of hilarious parody movies.
That's true, and yet some may not know that Nielsen spent most of his acting career doing serious roles on both TV and movies, so I was surprised (at the time) when I saw him turn up as the star in a comedy motion picture. For him that must've been a career risk, but as a gray-haired actor who reached his height in the 60's and 70's, he must've said "what the hell" let's do it. And it paid off. Nielsen also reached another first, much earlier in his career. This, on top of being the grandfather (according to Gene Roddenberry) of Star Trek when he starred as an earlier "Captain James Kirk" (as "Captain John Adams") in Forbidden Planet, a movie that laid virtually the entire foundation of Star Trek when it premiered a decade later. But Nielsen was also the very first actor to star in a Quinn Martin TV series, before all the others that were to follow, such as The FBI, The Invaders, The Fugitive, Barnaby Jones, The Streets of San Francisco, 12 O'Clock High, Cannon, and others. Before all of them, Leslie Nielsen was the first to appear under a QM Productions title when he starred in The New Breed - (B&W photo, below) Never heard of it? Maybe because it vanished after one season. Still, it was the first of many more famous series to follow.

..........................................................................Leslie Nielsen made history as the first actor to ever star in a QM Production series

Opening scene and title sequence for The New Breed

Quote:
I remember Fireball XL-5, too. I even had a toy Fireball at the same time as my Hogan's Heroes lunchbox. Gerry Anderson of course, later produced The Thunderbirds, UFO and Space: 1999. Funny, that picture of the Moon's surface in the thumbnail looks like the same location as Moonbase Alpha.
I really enjoyed Fireball XL-5, and found it surprisingly more sophisticated than other kid's shows of the same era, in that it had storylines very much like adult TV shows of the same genre - as in Star Trek. Some of the plot lines that came several years later (after Fireball XL-5 croaked) were reimagined on Star Trek, which makes me wonder if Roddenberry wasn't also influenced by this show as he was by Forbidden Planet. Gerry Anderson also used his experience in live action TV series to make (as far as I know) his first sci-fi movie: Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun, released in 1969. The idea of a parallel Earth on the exact opposite of the Sun (that we on our planet couldn't directly see) was the basis for Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun, and conveyed an eerie idea that something like this might be theoretically possible - at least as presented half a century ago. But was Gerry Anderson first with this idea? Actually, no. Because an almost identical story was conveyed several years earlier in this episode of The Twilight Zone called, "The Parallel":

Old November 18th, 2019 #33
Hugh Akston
Banned

After leaving the 23rd century, "Captain John Adams" (Leslie Nielsen)
took on Secret Service Agent James T. West back in the 1870's:

Oh, yeah: "Scotty" from Star Trek turned up in the premiere episode of The New Breed:

Old November 23rd, 2019 #34
Hugh Akston
Banned

Another example of retro-TV, this one a TV movie from 1970 that is very relevant today:

Old November 23rd, 2019 #35
Ray Allan

^^^^
That was a very good movie, and quite prophetic. What's interesting about it is that one of the very first electronic computers in the 1940s was called 'Colossus' and used in WW2 by British Intelligence at Bletchley Park to decode German cryptographic messages.

Old November 24th, 2019 #36
Hugh Akston
Banned

Quote:
That was a very good movie, and quite prophetic. What's interesting about it is that one of the very first electronic computers in the 1940s was called 'Colossus' and used in WW2 by British Intelligence at Bletchley Park to decode German cryptographic messages.
I didn't know that, but it's clear the screenwriter did.

Now, guess this TV show from this 1973 scene, featuring Walter "Ensign Chekov" Koenig and Keir "2001: A Space Odyssey" Dullea:

Old November 25th, 2019 #37
Ray Allan

Quote:
I didn't know that, but it's clear the screenwriter did.

Now, guess this TV show from this 1973 scene, featuring Walter "Ensign Chekov" Koenig and Keir "2001: A Space Odyssey" Dullea:

Starlost. I haven't seen that show since it was new back in 1973. Good find, Hugh.

Old November 30th, 2019 #38
Hugh Akston
Banned

Quote:
Starlost. I haven't seen that show since it was new back in 1973. Good find, Hugh.
And that guest star appearance by Walter "Ensign Chekov" Koenig was the apex of his acting career.

Old December 1st, 2019 #39
Ray Allan

Quote:
And that guest star appearance by Walter "Ensign Chekov" Koenig was the apex of his acting career.
I think you're right. He sucked in Babylon 5.

Jew Jew Abrams' Star Trek 2009 was insipid too, but at least they got an actual Russian, Anton Yelchin, to play Chekov instead of a New York jew like Walter Koenig.

Old December 1st, 2019 #40
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
I think you're right. He sucked in Babylon 5.
Really? I though he was pretty good in Babylon 5 – which is a great science fiction series, by the way.

Thread