Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 6th, 2009 #101
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Thanks for all the links and info, K & others. They're appreciated. I requested a copy of the ACRES magazine. I'll check it (and the site) out.

I've probably spent more hours doing research online in the past couple of weeks since I could see this thing coming together than I have in the previous six months combined.

Old June 6th, 2009 #102
Kievsky

That's great Donnie. You are doing what I have long dreamed of doing.

Anyone who does this sort of thing full time, gets enough original and derivative knowledge to write his own book, and or teach others. There's not nearly enough people doing this.

Research nutrient dense foods. Sweet potatoes are more nutrient dense than traditional potatoes, but much more difficult to grow. Once they get going though, they are sort of like a perennial. It's just a challenge getting them established.

Definitely do fingerling potatoes and Asian pears ASAP, you won't regret it. Just because commercial farming doesn't mass produce a certain food, doesn't mean that it "doesn't make sense" to do so.

One thing you are going to find is that, on the one hand it seems like corporations and governments have figured out just about everything. But on the other hand, it turns out, that they haven't. There is in fact room for new knowledge, new discoveries, and also the need to propagate knowledge that is only known to a few, not well publicized people. This applies to farming and also to many other things, including White nationalist truths. Society only learns slowly. For example, Pepsi dropped corn syrup and has returned to cane sugar. We've been bashing corn syrup for years. They finallly paid attention. It's truly exhilarating to be a propagator of new and rare bodies of knowledge.

Old June 7th, 2009 #103
Nick Apleece

I've been enjoying gardening far more than I ever would have imagined. It's soul-satisfying work.

This is our third year of "serious" gardening. The first year, I bought way too many types of seeds. Everything looks so good on the packets and in the catalogs! I got a late start that year and didn't get much produce, but learned a lot. The only crop we had in abundance was cabbage. I looked around at all the beautiful cabbages ready to harvest and laughed, because I don't much care for cabbage at all. I'm not quite sure why I planted it, just caught up in the fun of starting a garden, I suppose. Luckily the neighbors like it.

The second year I started building boxes for raised beds. The plywood for the boxes comes from scrap, salvaged from the local dump. The system we're using is based on the "Square Foot" gardening books, with some modifications. We did much better the second year, but had a number of things die off in an early Autumn frost. For example, we ended up with loads of green tomatoes and unripe corn. Up to that point we only used heirloom seed, with the intention of saving it for following seasons. Many of the heirloom corn and tomato types have long growing seasons, though.

This year we're trying Early Girl tomatoes (a hybrid) and hybrid sweet corn with a very short season, ~60 days. I'd prefer heirloom varieties, but I'd really like to have some home-grown corn on the cob and ripe tomatoes with my burgers this summer. We've narrowed the variety on the rest of the crops, down to about a dozen different things. That first year with 25 or 30 different types of things growing was just nuts.

One of our big garden projects this year is increasing the height of the fence. Six feet wasn't enough to keep the deer and elk out, so I'm going to raise it to ten feet. I'll probably plant some sacrificial crops outside the garden for the critters.

I'm hoping to finally learn how to make good compost this year as well. In the past it's been getting too dry, I think, and not decomposing quickly enough. This year I've been adding some grey water and urine to the no-turn piles. So far it seems to be working nicely.

Old June 7th, 2009 #104
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
One of our big garden projects this year is increasing the height of the fence. Six feet wasn't enough to keep the deer and elk out, so I'm going to raise it to ten feet. I'll probably plant some sacrificial crops outside the garden for the critters.
I am using some spray stuff from Ace Hardware that keeps deer and rabbits out. We have both and it seems to work. I am told that it is made of coyote urine. I also had someone show me some stuff called Bobbex-R, which is made in Kievsky's neck of the woods. It has similar ingredients: putrescent eggs, urea, etc.

Another one I have heard of is to get hair clippings from the barber shop and put them around the border of your garden.

I am trying raised beds for the first time this year. I have one and the regular garden spot. Is there anything special you have learned about raised beds that you can pass along?

Also, I have never heard of a no turn compost pile. How does that work?

Thanks.

Old June 7th, 2009 #105
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Apleece View Post
I've been enjoying gardening far more than I ever would have imagined. It's soul-satisfying work.

Ain't it though?

The wife and I were talking last night about how much we are enjoying gardening.

It's the perfect way to get some sun and fresh air, do some aerobic work (weeding) and connect with that part of us that makes us want to grow edible plants.

Old June 7th, 2009 #106
Nick Apleece

I haven't tried the commercial deer repellent yet. I've been trying to avoid buying a bunch of stuff for the garden, mostly on principle. I recall seeing a recipe for a homebrew repellent that involved red pepper, that's probably the next thing to try. Hair clippings didn't work at all for me, but it's supposed to be good in compost.

No huge revelations so far with the boxes, but I like them. It makes it easy to quantify how much you've done or need to do, ie., "I weeded 3 boxes today" as opposed to "I really need to weed the garden".
I recommend that you double dig your garden boxes, tilling to twice the depth of the box height, to allow roots to really reach down. It's only hard work the first time, in subsequent seasons you'll be able to hand till each box in a couple minutes, easily. For root veggies people recommend putting some kind of screen on the bottom of the box to deter moles and gophers. I used hardware cloth, a kind of thick galvanized wire screen. It was just some scrap I had around, but any screen would work as long as the holes are small enough.

The no-turn compost piles are just chicken wire fencing, cut long enough to make a 3 foot or 4 foot diameter circle if you bring the ends together. Wire or zip tie the ends together, set this little circular fence on the ground, and fill it with your compost. I drove a couple pieces of rebar into the ground around the inside edges, to help it keep its shape until it was full enough to do so by itself. It probably wasn't necessary. The idea behind it is that the chicken wire will allow plenty of aeration while still holding the pile together. Setting up a few of them was fast and cheap. Now if I can just get the kids trained to put coffee grounds into the compost instead of the trash...

Old June 7th, 2009 #107
Joe_J.
Radio active

Thanks for the info on the no turn composter. I am going to make a couple of those. I bought a composter and, much to my disappointment, found a Made In Israel label on it once I got it put together. So, just to warn others, it looks kind of like this one:

In our kitchen, the wife keeps a big tupperware type tub. Anything to be composted goes in it. So, it is just habit for us to put kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, etc. in it. That might make it easier if you have a container in the kitchen. I empty ours out after supper each night.

Old June 8th, 2009 #108
Moose

Donnie, Lowe's donates money to La Raza and about a dozen other anti-White organizations.

Old June 8th, 2009 #109
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Donnie, Lowe's donates money to La Raza and about a dozen other anti-White organizations.

Damn it! You've uncovered my secret plot to fund La Raza with my purchase of a garden hoe.

Thanks for the heads-up Bro, but do you know of a single large company that doesn't donate money to muds?

I live in the real world. Until David Duke opens up a hardware store, I have to work with what I have, you know?

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; June 8th, 2009 at 05:53 AM.

Old June 8th, 2009 #110
Kievsky

Moose,

Growing fruits and vegetables is the next best thing to another Operation Wetback. The food system was the thin end of the wedge that pried open our borders. I have been wanting to connect in the minds of ordinary Whites the following logical statement "More White food gardens = Less Mexicans."

A number cruncher at European-Americans United thinks that every quarter acre of food grown by Whites will reduce Mexican immigration by 1.

The way I see it, is that Agribusiness has a fragile monopoly that would be threatened by 10 million Whites taking up gardening. There's a lot of lawns out there, so it's physically possible. 10 million Whites each growing 1,000 in produce, would be a 1 billion dollar chunk of market share specifically in the produce department. The corn syrup fake food industry is less labor intensive, less Mex-intensive. Produce is specifically the most Mexicanized of the food sectors.

Moreover, agribusiness would do some research to find out "Why did we just lose 1 billion in market share?" One of the things they already figured out is the suspicion of high fructose corn syrup. Pepsi just switched back to cane sugar, and they have a big ad campaign about it.

So our goal should be to popularize vegetable gardening among ordinary Whites, while sending the message to Agribusiness and the Gov't that we are doing this specifically to fight the Mexinvasion. Taking their market share, or even the threat of it, scares them far more than publishing their home addresses, and it's perfectly legal.

If we had enough clout to make demands, it would be to end agribusiness subsidies, or if not ending them, then to give equivalent tax breaks to ordinary Americans growing a garden in their back yards. Corporate farms are getting huge handouts! Imagine if we demanded .50 cents in tax breaks for every pound of vegetables and fruits we grew?

Agribusiness it taking billion in tax dollars while hiring illegal immigrants, and externalizing the costs of these illegals onto American taxpayers. Agribusiness is truly a criminal racket. They also try to impose regulations for "food inspection" that only large corporations can afford, in effect an attempt to outlaw small scale market gardening via expensive regulation, while the fact is, it's agribusiness, not small farmers, that have "food safety" issues at all!

In short, 10 million politically active backyard gardeners could break the agribusiness racket by taking away market share and lobbying to end subsidies. This may happen via shortages of food, specifically produce:

Quote:
http://www.alternet.org/water/140487...s_food_supply/

Nearly a third of the country's food supply comes from California, but drought there may be a catastrophe for farmers -- and the rest of us.

California's agricultural sector grows approximately one-third of the nation's food supply and is nourished by diverted rivers and streams filled yearly by runoff from its prodigious Sierra Nevada snowpack, as well as groundwater pumping and other less-reliable methods. That snowpack -- which once sparked the first, but not the last, water war that helped transform a semi-arid Los Angeles into an unsustainable oasis less populous than only New York City -- is disappearing fast. Hence Chu's worrisome prediction.

To make matters worse, a crushing drought, now well into its third year, has made simply everything problematic. In California's central valley, home to a majority of the state's agricultural output, farmers are leaving hundreds of thousands of acres fallow, and the resultant economic depression is having a domino effect that could cost California $1 billion to start and is causing residents of a one-time food powerhouse to go hungry.
So there will still be corn syrup based "phood," but fruits and vegetables could become prohibitively expensive in the near future. This would stimulate a mass backyard gardening and small commercial farming movement. Those of us who are already versed in it and have developed local resources would be able to do businesses helping our neighbors get their gardens going -- manure hauling, selling seedlings, getting soil tested, and explaining the larger context of it all -- why the food system failed, and what ZOG is, why ZOG is bad for your interests, and why ZOG will eventually fail. What I would say to people is, "Your job is to avoid going down with the ZOG ship." Framing it as a survivalist thing is less frightening than framing it as a civil war, though who knows how it will all pan out. It could end up as a civil war, but talking like that nowadays just frightens people.

Let me tell ya, there's something deeply metaphorical about gardening. You got your desired plants, and you got your "weeds." Not all flora is equal. A gardener practices racist ethnic cleansing of his garden. If a mass gardening movement is brought about by the California drought, I don't think the metaphor will be lost on the millions of new gardeners.

Old June 8th, 2009 #111
Nick Apleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
What I would say to people is, "Your job is to avoid going down with the ZOG ship."
It's apt. Withdrawing from the system as much as possible may be all we need to do to survive as a people. To borrow from the libertarian theme of the thread, if productive Whites act like John Galt and go on strike, ZOG will collapse on itself even more quickly. ZOG requires Whites to support the system. Without our support, it all goes away.

Quote:
Let me tell ya, there's something deeply metaphorical about gardening. You got your desired plants, and you got your "weeds." Not all flora is equal. A gardener practices racist ethnic cleansing of his garden. If a mass gardening movement is brought about by the California drought, I don't think the metaphor will be lost on the millions of new gardeners.
The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares applies here too.

Old June 8th, 2009 #112
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Damn it! You've uncovered my secret plot to fund La Raza with my purchase of a garden hoe.

Thanks for the heads-up Bro, but do you know of a single large company that doesn't donate money to muds?

I live in the real world. Until David Duke opens up a hardware store, I have to work with what I have, you know?
Ace Hardware and True Value stores are all franchised and independently owned. At least in places like that the guy taking the profits is a small entrepenuer rather than a multi-billion dollar company. Wasn't judging, just letting people know where their money goes.

BTW, I am highly intruiged by this business idea of yours to open a greenhouse. I spent several hours researching it last night. Would you mind starting a thread on this and laying out some details as far as the idea/planning stage goes?

Old June 8th, 2009 #113
Joe_J.
Radio active

Moose
Quote:
Ace Hardware and True Value stores are all franchised and independently owned. At least in places like that the guy taking the profits is a small entrepenuer rather than a multi-billion dollar company. Wasn't judging, just letting people know where their money goes.
I do all of my garden shopping at Ace. I buy a LOT of things there, not just gardening stuff. Staff is helpful, store is well stocked. I like Ace.

Kievsky:

Quote:
The way I see it, is that Agribusiness has a fragile monopoly that would be threatened by 10 million Whites taking up gardening. There's a lot of lawns out there, so it's physically possible.
It is possible. This year, I have seen more gardens in my area than I ever have before. Whether it's economic, or even done by Obama followers (remember the "White House garden" they had all over the jewsmedia?), it adds up.

Quote:
Oh, Kievsky, did you ever hit the nail on the head with this one. How about start doing some VNN radio on gardening? Anyway, yeah, one does practice ethnic cleansing as well as not allowing the useless to live. By that I mean that you have to thin down to the healthiest, best sprout. You don't welfare the ones that won't make it. Come to think of it, nonWhites are like weeds in our nations.

Old June 8th, 2009 #114
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post

BTW, I am highly intruiged by this business idea of yours to open a greenhouse. I spent several hours researching it last night. Would you mind starting a thread on this and laying out some details as far as the idea/planning stage goes?

There is a Tru Value a few miles further away, but hell yea. Fuck Lowes if they revel in the multicult. Thanks for the education, bro.

I have a blog now that will detail ( as time permits) the thought processes behind the creation/operation of Life Rune Organic Farms.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; June 8th, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Old June 8th, 2009 #115
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Neo-Amish unite!

Going to post this here, as my fellow Neo-Amish gardeners will appreciate it.

Any known (to me) VNNer who wants a FREE logo T-Shirt from "Life Rune Heritage Organic Tomato Farm" should PM me with their sizes.

I'm going to do a run next week.

The shirts are tye-dyed (we are going for the hippy vote) so be warned.

Old June 8th, 2009 #116
Joe_J.
Radio active

I want one but would prefer to send some ZOGbux your way. You can buy supplies with it.

Old June 14th, 2009 #117
Joe_J.
Radio active

I have added several raised beds as I don't think I am getting enough sun for certain things in the actual garden area. Raised bed was put together in fifteen minutes and things are coming up nicely. All heirloom seeds. Screw Monsanta, ADM and the others that want to make everything hybrid.

Donnie, the blog is great. I am enjoying reading it.

Where is Kievsky? I was hoping for more tips and insight.

Old June 14th, 2009 #118
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_J. View Post
I have added several raised beds as I don't think I am getting enough sun for certain things in the actual garden area. Raised bed was put together in fifteen minutes and things are coming up nicely. All heirloom seeds. Screw Monsanta, ADM and the others that want to make everything hybrid.

Donnie, the blog is great. I am enjoying reading it.

Thanks, Joe.

I want to keep the business-related stuff in the blog, as not to hijack your thread.

The gardens are doing great. Every single plant has done very well so far. The tomato plants are huge, and most of 'em already have several fruits.

I know what you mean about heirloom seeds. I had no idea there were so many varieties of heirloom beans, carrots, peppers, lettuce, onions, potatoes, etc. The seeds are affordable as well.

Old June 14th, 2009 #119
Nick Apleece

My area had a frost a couple nights ago. The potatoes planted in the ground look like they've died, but the potatoes in the raised box have almost no damage. I'm not sure why it makes a difference.

Old June 14th, 2009 #120
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Thanks, Joe.

I want to keep the business-related stuff in the blog, as not to hijack your thread.

The gardens are doing great. Every single plant has done very well so far. The tomato plants are huge, and most of 'em already have several fruits.

I know what you mean about heirloom seeds. I had no idea there were so many varieties of heirloom beans, carrots, peppers, lettuce, onions, potatoes, etc. The seeds are affordable as well.
Hey, it wouldn't be a thread hijack. That was why I started the thread-to see what other VNNers are doing with their gardens.

Nick Apleece
Quote:
My area had a frost a couple nights ago. The potatoes planted in the ground look like they've died, but the potatoes in the raised box have almost no damage. I'm not sure why it makes a difference.
You in the northeast?

Tags
#1, gardening, neo-amish movement

Thread