Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 5th, 2010 #1
alex revision

Default Dog Saves Man's Life by Biting Off Toe: Jerry Douthett Has Best Hangover Ever

Dog Saves Man's Life by Biting Off Toe: Jerry Douthett Has Best Hangover Ever

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...-10391704.html

A Michigan man says he has his dog to thank for saving his life by chewing off his infected big toe as he lay in a drunken stupor.

For months, Jerry Douthett had refused to see a doctor for the festering digit, in spite of his wife's pleas and her suspicion that he had out of control diabetes.

About two weeks ago the couple went to a bar, where Douthett told the Grand Rapids Press that he drank four or five beers.

"Jerry had had all these Margaritas, so I just let him sleep," his wife Rosee, a registered nurse, told the paper. "But then I heard these screams coming from the bedroom, and he was yelling, 'My toe's gone, my toe's gone!'" Kiko, the family dog, had suddenly become a surgeon. "It wasn't an aggressive attack. He pretty much just ate the infection, so he saved my life," Jerry Douthett said.

He was treated at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids where physicians said he had type 2 diabetes and was suffering from a dangerous toe infection. Surgeons amputated what was left of the digit.

"Maybe he thought it was not part of Jerry's body," Rosie told the Grand Rapids television station WOOD-TV, "that it was a dead animal laying on the bed. But he chewed off the infected part so he knew when to stop, which was great."

Jerry Douthett says Kiko, a white terrier with brown ears, is a hero. Now that he knows he is diabetic, he has given up drinking.

Last edited by alex revision; August 5th, 2010 at 09:39 AM.

Old August 5th, 2010 #2
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex revision View Post
Dog Saves Man's Life by Biting Off Toe: Jerry Douthett Has Best Hangover Ever

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...-10391704.html

A Michigan man says he has his dog to thank for saving his life by chewing off his infected big toe as he lay in a drunken stupor.

For months, Jerry Douthett had refused to see a doctor for the festering digit, in spite of his wife's pleas and her suspicion that he had out of control diabetes.

About two weeks ago the couple went to a bar, where Douthett told the Grand Rapids Press that he drank four or five beers.

"Jerry had had all these Margaritas, so I just let him sleep," his wife Rosee, a registered nurse, told the paper. "But then I heard these screams coming from the bedroom, and he was yelling, 'My toe's gone, my toe's gone!'" Kiko, the family dog, had suddenly become a surgeon. "It wasn't an aggressive attack. He pretty much just ate the infection, so he saved my life," Jerry Douthett said.

He was treated at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids where physicians said he had type 2 diabetes and was suffering from a dangerous toe infection. Surgeons amputated what was left of the digit.

"Maybe he thought it was not part of Jerry's body," Rosie told the Grand Rapids television station WOOD-TV, "that it was a dead animal laying on the bed. But he chewed off the infected part so he knew when to stop, which was great."

Jerry Douthett says Kiko, a white terrier with brown ears, is a hero. Now that he knows he is diabetic, he has given up drinking.
Priceless.

Old August 5th, 2010 #3
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex revision View Post

"Jerry had had all these Margaritas, so I just let him sleep," his wife Rosee, a registered nurse, told the paper.
Dunno... I kinda think that is the funny part.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old August 5th, 2010 #4
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCross View Post
Dunno... I kinda think that is the funny part.
lol

I missed that. Methinks wifey drinks a bit, too.

Old August 5th, 2010 #5
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

I was referring to his pride. Margaritas are not very manly drinks, but BEER just screams manly man

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old August 5th, 2010 #6
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCross View Post
I was referring to his pride. Margaritas are not very manly drinks, but BEER just screams manly man
Heh, yeah. His dog chews his toe off, unbeknownst to him, but he still tries to retain some dignity.

Old August 6th, 2010 #7
Hugh
Holorep survivor

Thread