Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 1st, 2012 #1
keifer

Default Applied Survival Practices From Personal Experiences..

This thread is based on the idea of applied techniques and practices that you personally experienced in problem solving in a self reliance scenario beyond carpeted floors and running water. If you want to brag then have at it, but my original thought on this grouping of information is based on problem solving in the field. Things you did not know, surprised you, caught you guard, nearly killed you, as well as that which you triumphed over. If you are gonna talk firearms and your favorite gear then how does that particular fit into your applied system of processes from experience. Any experiences you had hiking, camping, hunting, military, recreational or actual training that specifically addresses these issues.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #2
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Should you find yourself traversing -65F cold on foot, start jogging.

source: experience

Old September 2nd, 2012 #3
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Wagahuski View Post

Wouldn't that make you sweat?

Old September 2nd, 2012 #4
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Learn to identify the North Star, and how to determine East, West, and South bearing from that.

When lost without a map or compass (don't get lost without them, LOL) heading a single direction will usually eventually bring you to civilization in this country (roadway, train tracks, or waterway [see below]).

In seriously unpopulated or extremely remote parts of the world, follow the first stream you find (downstream). It will eventually bring you to civilization of some sort.

Personal experience and military training.

Last edited by Mr A.Anderson; September 2nd, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #5
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Subfreezing Jogger

Quote:

My guess is that you have never done this. This results in frozen lungs and pneumonia. Pray tell us where you jogged in -65F weather.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #6
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
My guess is that you have never done this. This results in frozen lungs and pneumonia. Pray tell us where you jogged in -65F weather.
The Artic circle?

Old September 2nd, 2012 #7
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

If you ever find your self on the run from police or anyone else..... Travel at night, stick to rail road tracks, DO NOT contact anyone you know, if you need work, be clean looking and hang out at home depot asking contractors for day work.... Mexicans will usualy hire white guys who aren't junkies for the day and believe it or not pay better than most greedy whites (have a good story as to why you need bus fair back home), look in dmpsters for food and other useful items, never carry ID or a firearm..... The list goes on and on.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #8
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

When storing food for shtf keep in mind that your main concern should be calories vs weight of food as rationing will most likely be a reality.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #9
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly
Once there was a cold-snap, buses were down, my phone's battery sapped, and I faced a two-hour trek across town without transportation and minimal clothing. At this temperature frost-bite occurs, and entropy is rapid. A fit man may sustain a jog for as long as I did without too much exhaustion till he reaches safety, and not suffer nearly so fantastically as you affect to know.

But hey, that shows what some desert-dwelling kike-alike knows about cold.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #10
keifer

Quote:
Once there was a cold-snap, buses were down, my phone's battery sapped, and I faced a two-hour trek across town without transportation and minimal clothing. At this temperature frost-bite occurs, and entropy is rapid. A fit man may sustain a jog for as long as I did without too much exhaustion till he reaches safety, and not suffer nearly so fantastically as you affect to know.

Was the wind at your back or in your face. Ten fold difference.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #11
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faust View Post
If you ever find your self on the run from police or anyone else..... Travel at night, stick to rail road tracks, DO NOT contact anyone you know, if you need work, be clean looking and hang out at home depot asking contractors for day work.... Mexicans will usualy hire white guys who aren't junkies for the day and believe it or not pay better than most greedy whites (have a good story as to why you need bus fair back home), look in dmpsters for food and other useful items, never carry ID or a firearm..... The list goes on and on.
Good point. I think there's a case in Arizona. A man was picked up, no priors (so his prints weren't in the system). He NEVER identified himself, and carried no ID's. Since it was impossible to ID him, it's a catch 22. They wouldn't release him (he was on an extended stay at their local county facility), but they couldn't really charge him with anything either.

Either he was looking for 3 hots and a cot for a time being, or was hiding something else. Either way, it drove the cops nuts, and I believe they eventually had to release him.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #12
keifer

Usually I calculate time of my descent as half in terms of my ascent. Coming down is usually where injuries occur. If you don't know, it really beats the shit outa yer knees. Few weeks back it took seven hours going up at mid day. No shade. Climb for one minute rest for three. I used as much water going up as I did for the next three days. I stretched that three days of water over five. At last light, I headed down on the fifth day. It took 30 minutes coming down in near darkness compared to seven hours going up in mid day no shade circumstances. Had I took 45 minutes longer, it would have reduced unnecessary risks I took that were associated with haste.
Patience. Anyone ever write a book on that?

Old September 2nd, 2012 #13
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I was part of the team that fought the wild fires in Idaho back in 1994. We were in the mountains surrounding Idaho City, ID - and did a few jaunts into Montana. Elevation, conditioning, and hydration are key. One thing that people overlook is the need for calories under these conditions.

We were on 6,000 calories per day diets (minimum). At the end of it all, we we all lost weight and inches around the waist. I have to agree with Keifer on this one. You will spend disproportionately more energy going up than down, but going down is much more dangerous.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #14
keifer

...While back I cut though a flexer tendon on my index finger. The result was that the extendor tending was unchallenged and my finger remain stiff and pointing. It was srange feeling no pain or sensation no matter how much I willed my finger to move. Entering an environment filled with smoke is identical feeling when a person tries to breath in an area where smoke has obsorbed oxygen. I remember flexing my lung muscles around the chest and nothing happening. Nothing, no expansion of my thorax. I think maybe I have a head for such situations based on what little experience I have had in complete smoke darkness, there is a will to overcome like none other I have ever experienced.
Fire,...yes don't forget to toss a dollar in the boot for yer local crew.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #15
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

While we are on the subject of fire. If you are ever in a wild fire, go downhill fast. You will never outrun a fire by trying to going uphilll. We had to be air lifted out by the National Guard (they were part of the NFS Task Force) with their CH-47 Chinook helicopters. We were on top of a mountain ridge, with a 20' fire break dug at the top (bulldozed). We had "onion skins" filled with water, and 250 gpm pumps for the water. When the fire reached the base of our mountain, we attempted a back fire. When the fire was halfway up the mountain, our air evac call went out. Five minutes later, we were in the air, and the fire had engulfed the mountainside, and jumped our fire break to the other side.

A tree "torching" is something to behold, but watching a mountainside full of trees "crowning" is terrifying and mesmorizing at the same time.

Wild fires can also create their own weather patterns. Thunderheads are a very common occurance, that are created in influenced by the heat of the fire. My advice - find water (a stream), and follow it downhill fast. Fires will rage during the daytime (when the inversion lifts), and are easier/less volatile at night.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #16
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer
Why is this so difficult for people? Just accept my goddamn experience and you won't die.

The wind was mainly on my left.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #17
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Tall Tale

Quote:

The record for Fairbanks is -66 F in 1951. Pray tell us where you were at -65 F. Breathing hard at -20 F will frostbite your lungs. I did it in Strothers Kansas in 1983. I landed a Cessna there for fuel and ran a couple of blocks to the office at full speed at 03:00. I don't know the minimum temperature necessary for frost bitten lungs. I think that you are telling a tall tale. This is not your first one here.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #18
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Wind Direction Unimportant

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
It makes a bit of difference for frostbitten face but has no effect on frostbitten lungs or hands. Wind speed is more important than direction.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #19
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:

Once the wind chill makes the temperature feel like –28 or colder, exposed skin can freeze in under 30 minutes. When it drops to –40, frostbite can occur in less than 10 minutes. Take it to –55, and you're in danger within two minutes. Anything colder than that and Environment Canada warns you shouldn't go outside at all.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/fo...rost-bite.html

Old September 3rd, 2012 #20
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Bridge for Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
Once the wind chill makes the temperature feel like –28 or colder, exposed skin can freeze in under 30 minutes. When it drops to –40, frostbite can occur in less than 10 minutes. Take it to –55, and you're in danger within two minutes. Anything colder than that and Environment Canada warns you shouldn't go outside at all.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/fo...rost-bite.html
Wagahuski may be interesting in that bridge that I own in Lake Havasu. He can seek shelter under it during the next -65 F cold snap that he has. I will move and install it for him for only 10% down. The video of him jogging in -65 F temperatures with almost no clothes will go viral on You Tube.

Thread