VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 4th, 2004 #21
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitler goddess
Now that you brought this up, this is something that concerns me. I have known a lot of people who have attempted to quit smoking and have gained weight. And I know that weight gain is a common occurrence for many people who quit. I do want to quit smoking, but I don't want to get fat in the process. I know this concern may seem silly to some people, but as a woman my physical appearance has always been extremely important to me.

Hoax, Intrepid: Did either of you experience this weight gain when you quit smoking?

It may work, but I figure it must taste pretty nasty
Like I said, I quit 11/02 and I've gained maybe 2-3 lbs. I'm just under 175 now, but I really don't gain weight all that much. I read somewhere that the average person gains 15-20 lbs. before all is said and done. From what I've seen, that seems to be about right.

Fuck the weight, HG - I know you wanna look good, but c'mon, what's more important? Besides, you're White - use your will power to keep slim and sexy.

Old December 4th, 2004 #22
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaxThis
Like I said, I quit 11/02 and I've gained maybe 2-3 lbs. I'm just under 175 now, but I really don't gain weight all that much. I read somewhere that the average person gains 15-20 lbs. before all is said and done. From what I've seen, that seems to be about right.

Fuck the weight, HG - I know you wanna look good, but c'mon, what's more important? Besides, you're White - use your will power to keep slim and sexy.

2-3 or even 5 pounds is fine, but 15-20 for the average person? That is terrible

I obviously have no will power when it comes to smoking. but I have always had plenty when it comes to food and dieting. I hope that doesn't change when, and if, I quit smoking. I do not want to be substituting one addiction for another. Seriously though, I know that I would never allow myself to gain 15-20 pounds.

Old December 4th, 2004 #23
Odin

Nictotine is a cns stimulant in the same family as caffeine and amphetamine. It also suppresses appetite (most smokers have experienced eliminating hunger pangs by smoking instead).

When you quit smoking your body's metabolism has to adjust to living without the stimulant. Your body will burn calories at a slower rate. Without the appetite suppression of nicotine, you will feel more hungry than you are accustomed to. Eating more + slower metabolism = weight gain. That's another good reason to start an exercise regime when you quit.

Oh, a question to the Goddess: You said you don't want to "get fat?" Does that mean all of your posts claiming to be fat were just jokes, and you are in actuality a svelt Aryan beauty?

Old December 4th, 2004 #24
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

Quote:
Oh, a question to the Goddess: You said you don't want to "get fat?" Does that mean all of your posts claiming to be fat were just jokes, and you are in actuality a svelt Aryan beauty?
No, it is true. I am 500 pounds that is why I am even more concerned, I mean, I really can't afford to gain any more weight!

Old December 4th, 2004 #25
Intrepid
Dodging vacuous stares

Quote:
Now that you brought this up, this is something that concerns me. I have known a lot of people who have attempted to quit smoking and have gained weight. And I know that weight gain is a common occurrence for many people who quit. I do want to quit smoking, but I don't want to get fat in the process. I know this concern may seem silly to some people, but as a woman my physical appearance has always been extremely important to me.

Hoax, Intrepid: Did either of you experience this weight gain when you quit smoking?

It may work, but I figure it must taste pretty nasty
I've gone from 175lbs to about 185lbs, H.G. I'm 6'1", so it's a good weight. It was only the first week or two that I was gorging on grub. Funny thing is, I've been in my gym and out runnin', hikin' etc. considerably more than before before & the weight has just stabilized. So there must be something to the metabolism issue. One other thing I just noticed a couple of days back: I'm getting about 1,000 calories & 75g of fat just out of these darn sunflower seeds I'm gnawing on constanly.

Btw, the gum doesn't taste that bad, but I think the patch is more effective.

Old December 6th, 2004 #26
Derrick Beukeboom

Lightbulb Great advice on kicking the habit

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Obviously, there are numerous options out there for people desiring to quit smoking.
The info is out there. It becomes a matter of personal pride and motivation and that comes from within.
Sometimes our habits, both good and bad ones, become a part of our lifestyles. It may sound silly, but things like smoking, working out, drinking, etc. are literally a part of our daily routines. Not unlike getting dressed and sleeping....
To rectify certain habits, it may take a complete change of basic lifestyle.
A whole new change of environment may help to start a new lifestyle change for someone.
HG, you of course can and will quit smoking.
I think you know this deep down inside.
2005 is coming up, research and try a few of the suggestions noted in time to make a new year's resolution that you can be proud of.
Weight gain may or may not happen, but that is something that can be dealt with later and will be easier to deal with. Trust me.
I'm going to have to introduce you to the gym soon which will not only increase your likelihood of quitting smoking, but will also make you feel better physically and mentally and will easily neutralize any little weight gain that may occur when you kick the smoking habit.

Think longterm goals, longterm health.
Living with a nonsmoker could do wonders for sticking with your plan of ridding your body of the nicotine habit.

Old December 6th, 2004 #27
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR ANTICHRIST
That is part of it, we all have conversations with ourselfs daily in our minds should we do this why? What could happen etc. There is alot of ways you think of a smoke at a certain time then you think to yourself that would feel great and how bad you want one, and just one more time etc,etc. You will not last too long as that negative inner talk kills will power. Most all people who have low self esteem etc. All have SUPER NEGATIVE INNER TALK. They tell themselfs there losers, they do not derserve this or that, that is too hard, Iam no good etc.

Hate to admit it but I learned the secret of will power when I was young from the bibble. When jeboo was super tempted by evil he would not say well I think you might be right or maybe this once etc. He got mad at it and told it off. This is the secret of inner alchemy you take any emotion and turn it into positive anger and vise versa. But you have to have emotional impact with your words just meaningless reapeating with no feeling behind. If people when temped by a smoke would think or even say out loud NO this is junk and Iam better then this shit etc. They would find more sucess. And the mind powers the body I wish white people would stop beating themselfs up all the time. The battle is truely won or lost in the mind frist.
great post. I think that pretty much sums up Norman Vincent Peale's POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING. Which is a great book, btw, my dad said "boy, you want to be a success, you should read three books: Power of Positive Thinking by Peale, DRESS FOR SUCCESS by Malloy, and HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE by Dale Carnegie.

Anybody who enjoyes MIGHT IS RIGHT by Redbeard will enjoy those books as well.

I am reading a new one by Malloy I stumbled onto called "LIVE FOR SUCCESS." That is a winner too.

In four years of interacting with Alex Linder, I can tell you folks that he is a very positive thinker. I cant tell you how many times, via VNN front page or email or otherwise, Linder has struck a confident upbeat note, even when certain situations looked kind of dim to me. If you have been around for a while you may remember the BW goatfuck. Well, Alex just kept on truckin. THAT friends is the attitude of a winner: "I will not be blocked" as he has often said.

Old December 7th, 2004 #28
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Default double hook,

Alex has had supporters who could have made better judgments. That includes not just supporters who have been known publically but those who are not. Alex acts like a leader and accepts responsibility but in that case the decision was taken mostly prior to him being informed and apprised of it and it was a gift horse situation. Nuff said.

The point is, Linder shows resilience and tenacity, and as you say, PERSISTENCE. That is a good quote from Silent Cal by the way.

Old December 7th, 2004 #29
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

to bring it back to the thread topic, quitting smoking, it requires persistence. most people quit a bunch of times and relapse before it takes hold. once I learned this fact, I found myself empowered by remembering it.

so do not be detracted by failures. you may have a hundred failures before your grand success. Victory may lie over the next ridge, how do you know it doesnt if you dont keep moving?

Old December 8th, 2004 #30
Herman van Houten
Ausrotter

Not a tip, but an observation.

Almost everybody I know who quit succesfully did it just by deciding "I quit" and then quit without using any other help but willpower. Aryan will is stronger than all programs, drugs put together.

Old December 10th, 2004 #31
Border Ruffian

I think it's true that quitting is more a psychological challenge than a physical one. I've twice quit for over a month and that should have broke the physical part. I never got the headaches that people complain about but for a few days after stopping there's an odd sensation in my head like it's in a vacuum. Feels like something is pulling on my head in all directions. Uncomfortable but not painful. I'm jumpy for a few days too.

I guess you just have to *hate* the habit. My dad quit a long time ago and now can't stand having tobacco smoke in the air around him at all. My mom never smoked but it doesn't bother her a bit unless she's shut in a small space with lots of it. Have to admit I still like the taste and smell of tobacco so i'm probably not quitting soon.

Like others said, you really do want to eat a lot more. Swapping habits can work , though. Just be sure to trade for something benign and cheap. A great uncle of mine quit "cold turkey", but for the rest of his life he almost always had a toothpick in his mouth. Always kept a box on him. Yeah it's a crutch, and you're hanging on to the psychological habit of keeping something for your hands and mouth to fiddle with but at least a toothpick won't give you a tumour

Old December 10th, 2004 #32
Dasyurus Maculatus
Banned

A practical way to avoid smoking cigarettes is to deliberately lose all lighters matches and keep away from sources of ignition.

If you cant light up the ciggy, you cant smoke it. It works for me.

Old December 10th, 2004 #33
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasyurus Maculatus
A practical way to avoid smoking cigarettes is to deliberately lose all lighters matches and keep away from sources of ignition.

If you cant light up the ciggy, you cant smoke it. It works for me.

LOL. Sure, but it isn't like it wouldn't be easy enough to just go buy another lighter. And if you have a stove in your house, that certainly cancels this out as well.

Old December 10th, 2004 #34
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Ruffian
I think it's true that quitting is more a psychological challenge than a physical one. QUOTE]

This is completely true. When I have not smoked for a while, the actual physical symptoms are very minor, slight headache, a little lightheadeness, etc. The psychological symptoms are much worse, and certainly much more powerful. When you smoke there are so many activities that seem to revolve around smoking that you don't even become fully aware of until you attempt to quit. These psychological aspects of smoking are what gets me everytime when I have even attempted to cut down.

Old December 11th, 2004 #35
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

I've now quit smoking for almost a month and a FUCKIN' HALF, AND SO FAR IT HAS'NT MADE ME EDGY ONE DAMN FUCKIN' BIT!!!

('hem....just thought I'd keep y'all updated).

Old December 11th, 2004 #36
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR ANTICHRIST
Maybe you should get yourself a man then you would have something else to suck beside a smoke.LOL

That is disgusting. lol
I have a man and still I smoke.

Old December 11th, 2004 #37
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaxThis
I've now quit smoking for almost a month and [I]A FUCKIN' HALF, AND SO FAR IT HAS'NT MADE ME EDGY ONE DAMN FUCKIN' BIT!!![/I]

('hem....just thought I'd keep y'all updated).

so I see

Old December 25th, 2004 #38
Joe Snuffy

Default The pill

I quit smoking 10 years ago by taking up chewing tobacco. I personally think it is not as bad for your health as smoking. 4 years ago I quit chewing tobacco by using a pill the doctor gave me to get over the symptoms of quitting. I think it was a very light dose of some anti-depressant. After a week I stopped taking the pill and have never gone back. Now I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and the thought of putting a chew in my lip turns my stomach.

Old December 26th, 2004 #39
Jenab
Senior Goatly One

Quote:
LOL. Sure, but it isn't like it wouldn't be easy enough to just go buy another lighter. And if you have a stove in your house, that certainly cancels this out as well.
I quit by convincing myself that I couldn't be bothered with getting out of my house and going to the store. Too much trouble. And I'd meet too many other people, which I don't really like doing. So I just sat at home until I got over the nicotine habit.

Jerry Abbott

Old December 27th, 2004 #40
Subrosa
Banned

Get a prescription for Zyban, then take hypnosis at the same time. That will take care of both the physical and mental aspects of the addiction. Worked for me and I loved smoking, especially when drinking in a bar arguing politics till the wee hours of the morning. I still enjoy being around smokers, smells good to me hehe!

Thread