Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 7th, 2013 #121
America First

Default 1945 ?

Through my younger years Japan's surrender in 1945 was always stated as a surrender to US not the U.N. or that was always the impression back then for me.

When General Mac Arthur accepted the Japanese surrender it was on behalf of the U.N. not U.S. and the U.N. building was not built till 1948.

At the six minute mark the U.N. is mentioned when the White U.S. military is landing in Tokyo of 1945.

Notice no Congoids were landed in Japan, like in England and Iceland all through out the so called WW 2, then after the victory we all enjoy today, all across the parts of Europe that were not given to Stalin the mobster's for money men, the savages preyed on White women.

Most VNNF poster's know all this already, but the fact that the majority did not seem know for 69 years now, and don't care and perhaps it matters not.

We cannot allow the natural passions and prejudices of other peoples
to lead our country to destruction.

-Charles A. Lindbergh
http://www.fff.org/freedom/0495c.asp

Last edited by America First; July 7th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Old July 27th, 2013 #122
Alex Linder
Administrator

Sindri > Tertullian225 • 11 days ago

Just to sidestep the discussion a bit; why does progressive demographics matter? One of the first thing you learn in medieval history is how great post-plague people had it. In Norway we have thousands of people called "Ødegård" (abandoned farm) as last names. The black plague destroyed western (white) demographics and made every European country much more sustainable and prosperous. The need for whites to copulate all the time is idiotic when most countries is overpopulated as it is; the problem is other races' higher birth rates. I feel like we are still thinking inside the terms of the system, not outside the box...

Old August 26th, 2013 #123
varg

Default Race is more than skin color. It's earwax too!

East Asians and Amer-Indians have dry earwax.

Scientists Find Gene That Controls Type of Earwax in People

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/30/sc...0ear.html?_r=0

Earwax may not play a prominent part in human history but at least a small role for it has now been found by a team of Japanese researchers.

Earwax comes in two types, wet and dry. The wet form predominates in Africa and Europe, where 97 percent or more of people have it, and the dry form among East Asians. The populations of South and Central Asia are roughly half and half. By comparing the DNA of Japanese with each type, the researchers were able to identify the gene that controls which type a person has, they report in today's issue of Nature Genetics.

They then found that the switch of a single DNA unit in the gene determines whether a person has wet or dry earwax. The gene's role seems to be to export substances out of the cells that secrete earwax. The single DNA change deactivates the gene and, without its contribution, a person has dry earwax.

The Japanese researchers, led by Kohichiro Yoshiura of Nagasaki University, then studied the gene in 33 ethnic groups around the world. Since the wet form is so common in Africa and in Europe, this was likely to have been the ancestral form before modern humans left Africa 50,000 years ago.

The dry form, the researchers say, presumably arose later in northern Asia, because they detected it almost universally in their tests of northern Han Chinese and Koreans. The dry form becomes less common in southern Asia, probably because the northerners with the dry earwax gene intermarried with southern Asians carrying the default wet earwax gene. The dry form is quite common in Native Americans, confirming other genetic evidence that their ancestors migrated across the Bering Strait from Siberia 15,000 years ago.

The Japanese team says that the gene that affects earwax, known to geneticists as the ATP-binding cassette C11 gene, lies with three other genes in a long stretch of DNA that has very little variation from one person to another. Lack of variation in a sequence of DNA units is often the signature of a new gene so important for survival that it has swept through the population, erasing all the previous variation that had accumulated in the course of evolution.

But earwax seems to have the very humble role of being no more than biological flypaper, preventing dust and insects from entering the ear. Since it seems unlikely that having wet or dry earwax could have made much difference to an individual's fitness, the earwax gene may have some other, more important function. Dr. Yoshiura and his colleagues suggest that the gene would have been favored because of its role in sweating.

They write that earwax type and armpit odor are correlated, since populations with dry earwax, such as those of East Asia, tend to sweat less and have little or no body odor, while the wet earwax populations of Africa and Europe sweat more and so may have more body odor. Several Asian features, like small nostrils, are conjectured to be adaptations to the cold. Less sweating, the Japanese authors suggest, may be another adaptation to the cold in which the ancestors of East Asian peoples are thought to have lived.

Old September 10th, 2013 #124
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

'Pagination' is correctly pronounced with the first 'a' short. Maybe I'd never said the word aloud, nor heard it spoken, until today, but I'd always thought it was long-a. My interlocutor was gracious not to point it out, but I noticed her differing (and later confirmed to be correct) speech.

Upon reflection (thanks to some ESL websites), there are other examples where a long vowel root turns short upon modification: nation and national, chaste and chastise. Now add page and paginate. (Fate and fatality are a pair I thought of on my own, but that 'a' turns schwa instead of the commonly understood short.)

Old September 16th, 2013 #125
Jimmy Marr

Default Google Books Ngram Viewer

When you enter phrases into the Google Books Ngram Viewer, it displays a graph showing how those phrases have occurred in a corpus of books (e.g., "British English", "English Fiction", "French") over the selected years.

For instance:

Racist:

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph...thing=3&share=

Holocaust:

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph...thing=3&share=

Old September 18th, 2013 #126
Alex Linder
Administrator

Mr. Chips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye,_Mr._Chips

Have seen this referred to many times, never really knew what it was. It's a British schoolteacher in some novel and films.

Old September 20th, 2013 #127
Alex Linder
Administrator

As I was writing, mocking something, which is after all the reason writing -- indeed, hominid communication -- was invented, I went to say, "More than just the luscious stench of colitas was wafting up through the air," when it occurred to me I had NFC what "colitas" meant. But I lie. I didn't even know it was colitas. I thought it was felitas. And to be honest, having lived in Calif during the time this song went, and being fortified with seven years of formal Spanish, I still neither knew nor cared. Some things are best left to the imagination. Now is the time to ununreveal. I looked it up. It's not felitas. It's colitas, as I've twisaid. Here is a good and interesting explication and exegesis of colitas, and the particular use by Henley, Don, in his Eagles song.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...s-colitas-mean

Last edited by Alex Linder; December 7th, 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Old September 21st, 2013 #128
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Socotra Island

http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?p...54#post1597054

Old September 21st, 2013 #129
Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Mr. Chips.

Have seen this referred to many times, never really knew what it was. It's a British schoolteacher in some novel and films.
The character is a public schoolteacher which means he's a private schoolteacher in Yankee English.

Old September 22nd, 2013 #130
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
The character is a public schoolteacher which means he's a private schoolteacher in Yankee English.
Yes. I think our use makes more sense, in this particular case.

The odd thing to me is that you see Mr. Chips references in US media not infrequently, at least I have over the years, but I don't ever remember seeing this film or films being shown on tv. So it makes you wonder where this base of people familiar with Mr. Chips is coming from.

Old September 22nd, 2013 #131
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:

The odd thing to me is that you see Mr. Chips references in US media not infrequently, at least I have over the years, but I don't ever remember seeing this film or films being shown on tv. So it makes you wonder where this base of people familiar with Mr. Chips is coming from.
Maybe New England?

I think the reference may also live here through house nigger Sidney Poitier's To Sir, With Love. Isn't that basically Mr. Chips spun into 'American' judeo-race propaganda? Still, one would have to be taught the connection, in most cases. I can imagine that crap being foisted upon high school English students, particularly the smarter ones, as with Schindler and Dances With Wolves. But this is all speculation.

Old September 22nd, 2013 #132
Henry.

Quote:
'Private' is also used in the UK.

The original use of the term 'public' comes from the time when education was made more widely available than it had been, say, in the early Tudor period when tuition was the preserve of the elite and took place one-to-one with a tutor in private rooms.

With the rise of the early schools education became more accessible however with the exception of a lucky few who gained scholarships or found patrons, only the children of the rich entered the best of these schools so in time Charity Schools opened to the general public.

In general, the term 'private' education is what paid-for-education is called in Britain today, just as it is in the US. I sent my daughter to a 'private' school. However the schools that were defined by a particular Act of Parliament still retain the tradition of describing themselves as 'public' in title, which is quite appropriate as it tells prospective fee payers exactly what type of school it is they will be sending their children to. i.e., A Gothic fortress, standing in 500 acres of parkland, where boys stay for years acquiring a taste for corporal punishment and sodomy before moving on to a guaranteed career in banking and politics whereupon they continue the family tradition of fucking up the world.

As confirmed here...
Quote:
Public schools have had a strong association with the ruling classes. Historically they educated the sons of the English upper and upper-middle classes. In particular, the sons of officers and senior administrators of the British Empire were educated in England while their parents were on overseas postings. In 2010, over half of Cabinet Ministers had been educated at public schools; by contrast, however, most prime ministers since 1964 were educated at state schools. In 2009, annual fees were up to £30,000 for boarders
Seriously though, they're as 'liberal' as any institution today, and in some respects, more so.

Two days ago I walked passed an early grammar school from about 1510. It's in perfect condition but never developed in size beyond the space required for a two-car garage. It's being used as an office/store room.

Old October 13th, 2013 #133
M.N. Dalvez

The logic underlying the behaviour of ant colonies and their foraging is very, very close to the logic of TCP (Traffic Control Protocol), the protocol which regulates data traffic on the Internet.

An interesting article about this fact and some of the particulars associated with it:

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07...of-networking/

Old October 30th, 2013 #134
Alex Linder
Administrator

Renee Zellweger is of Sami descent. Calling her squinty is like calling (part) Asians squinty - mean and racist.

I agree with Rocza, it looks like she had eye surgery to relieve dermatochalasia. My mother had that - it was horrible.

Old October 31st, 2013 #135
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Renee Zellweger is of Sami descent. Calling her squinty is like calling (part) Asians squinty - mean and racist.

I agree with Rocza, it looks like she had eye surgery to relieve dermatochalasia. My mother had that - it was horrible.

Quote:

The Sami people, also spelled Sámi or Saami, are the indigenous Finno-Ugric people inhabiting the Arctic area of Sápmi, which today encompasses parts of far northern Norway, Sweden, Finland, the Kola Peninsula of Russia, and the border area between south and middle Sweden and Norway. The Sámi are the only indigenous people of Scandinavia recognized and protected under the international conventions of indigenous peoples, and hence the northernmost indigenous people of Europe.[7] Sami ancestral lands span an area of approximately 388,350 km2 (150,000 sq. mi.), which is approximately the size of Sweden, in the Nordic countries. Their traditional languages are the Sami languages and are classified as a branch of the Uralic language family.

Traditionally, the Sami have pursued a variety of livelihoods, including coastal fishing, fur trapping, and sheep herding. Their best-known means of livelihood is semi-nomadic reindeer herding. Currently about 10% of the Sami are connected to reindeer herding and 2,800 are actively involved in herding on a full-time basis.[8] For traditional, environmental, cultural and political reasons, reindeer herding is legally reserved only for Sami people in certain regions of the Nordic countries.[9]

Mari Boine • Lars Levi Læstadius • Lisa Thomasson (sv)
Helga Pedersen • Renée Zellweger • Ole Henrik Magga
Total population
163,400 (80,000–135,000)
Regions with significant populations
Sápmi 133,400
Norway 37,890[1]
United States 30,000[2]
Sweden 14,600[3]
Finland 9,350[4]
Russia 1,991[5]
Ukraine 136[6]
Languages

Sami languages:
Northern Sami, Lule Sami, Pite Sami, Ume Sami, Southern Sami, Inari Sami, Skolt Sami, Kildin Sami, Ter Sami
Akkala Sami (extinct), Kemi Sami (extinct), Kainuu Sami (extinct)

Nation State Languages:
Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Russian
Religion
Lutheranism, Laestadianism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Sami shamanism
Related ethnic groups
other Finnic peoples

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people

Old October 31st, 2013 #136
M.N. Dalvez

I'm told many aspects of Saami culture are touched on in the Finnish national epic poem, the Kalevala. Do you know much about that?

Old October 31st, 2013 #137
Petrinos Frouros

Quote:
Mr. Chips.

I too found out that recently. After I read a comment on Breaking Bad by its creator, who said he wanted to take a Mr. Chips and create a Scarface. Fits perfectly.

Old October 31st, 2013 #138
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N. Dalvez View Post
I'm told many aspects of Saami culture are touched on in the Finnish national epic poem, the Kalevala. Do you know much about that?
No, I did not know that (very fittingly for this thread). Shamefully, I've not read the Kalevala, but I really ought to get around to doing that one of these days...

(On amazon for those intrigued: http://www.amazon.com/The-Kalevala-T.../dp/0199538867 )

I'm well familiar with the Sami people - "Samerna" in Swedish - though, and have a couple of "Swedenized" Sami acquintances. I live in the northerner parts of Sweden, but not far enough up to encounter any traditional living Samis. They live mainly in what is Swedish biggest and most northerly landscape "Lappland" - or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_(region) - i.e, Sami-land, though "Lapp" as an interchangeable term in modern times are not really considered politically correct as they take offence to it, considering it pejorative.

I do make the trip Northwards once in a while on vacations, and it's a wonderful place for hiking in the summers, with its long, bright days, where the sun in june literally never sets
Polar_circle Polar_circle
, and it's quite a majestic sight to see the the reindeers on their wanderings.

If anyone ever plan on taking a trip to Sweden, do try to make time for a trip to the north too, it's worth it.

Last edited by Solskeniskyn; October 31st, 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Old December 7th, 2013 #140
Alex Linder
Administrator

There is such a thing as pot butter. Not melted butter, butter with marijuana in it. Who knew?

https://www.google.com/#q=pot+butter

I bet Mike in Denver knew!

Last edited by Alex Linder; December 7th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.

Thread