Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 1st, 2015 #1
Vnn999

Default Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out

…. Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement. ...

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10...ow-to-opt-out/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10

Old August 1st, 2015 #2
varg

Opting out is not using Windows. And this isn't something new just in Windows 10 either. A few settings they allow you to disable, giving people the false idea of privacy, doesn't change the core of the closed-source OS, which doesn't respect privacy.

Old August 1st, 2015 #3
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
Opting out is not using Windows. And this isn't something new just in Windows 10 either. A few settings they allow you to disable, giving people the false idea of privacy, doesn't change the core of the closed-source OS, which doesn't respect privacy.
If or when Windows 7 goes away or I get a new computer, I'll likely go Linux. I can't afford a Mac and my instincts are that Mac is getting dated anyway.

I installed Ubuntu on my last PC and didn't like it. It may have been less than the best release. I'd probably go openSUSE. I've used it and like it. There is also a new Linux called elementary OS that looks good.

I won't make a decision until and if Windows 7 goes away or someone convinces me that some version of Linux is just amazing.

Yeah! Windows 10 is not going to happen here.

Mike

Late edit: Another possibility is to just get a good tablet and go Android. I have a small Android tablet (a bit small for my eyes) and I like the OS. No problem with it at all.

Old August 1st, 2015 #4
Dan Hadaway

Linux is a geek OS. If you're not willing to tinker and accept certain "handicaps", then you're not going to like it. The idea behind Linux is the ability to tinker with the innards of the OS. That is something you can't do with Windows. So, the vast majority of people are going to have a bad experience with Linux, simply because they want to use their computer, not set it up.

Old August 1st, 2015 #5
Dan Hadaway

Another thing to note is that the retail model for software is dead. They make money by harvesting your data. People are not willing to fork out the actual costs of developing a piece of software as complicated as an operating system.

Last edited by Dan Hadaway; August 3rd, 2015 at 11:20 PM.

Old August 2nd, 2015 #6
Fred Streed
Holy Order of Cosmonauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
If or when Windows 7 goes away or I get a new computer, I'll likely go Linux. I can't afford a Mac and my instincts are that Mac is getting dated anyway.

I installed Ubuntu on my last PC and didn't like it. It may have been less than the best release. I'd probably go openSUSE. I've used it and like it. There is also a new Linux called elementary OS that looks good.

I won't make a decision until and if Windows 7 goes away or someone convinces me that some version of Linux is just amazing.

Yeah! Windows 10 is not going to happen here.

Mike
I have ran linux for years, since about 1998-99. On my desktop computers I've mostly used SUSE although I have tried others, Mandrake (I think they are gone), Red Hat (now Fedora), others that I can't remember. I have not and will not use Ubuntu because I don't like their nigger promoting bullshit.

I mostly use laptops anymore. I like Puppy linux for them. I just got this laptop I'm typing on now from ebay a few days ago. It was used, a Dell Latitude e6410, came with Windows 7. I downloaded a fresh copy of Puppy, their Slacko Puppy available here: http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%...%20Release.htm

The Tahrpup also looks good but it uses Ubuntu packages so I went for Slacko which uses Slackware packages. It was incredibly easy to set up compared to older versions of linux. I downloaded the distro, then burned it to a CD as a ISO. I went into the computers BIOS and set the boot order to start from the CD/DVD drive first. That way if there is nothing from the CD that's bootable it will start from the HDD, which boots up Windows 7.

To start linux I just put the Slacko Puppy in the CD player, then power on the computer. It takes awhile to boot the first time because it loads the files from the CD to the computer RAM. First boot it asks a few questions about the network or how you connect to the internet. Voila, you are on the internet. Sound worked without me doing anything.

When you shut down the first time a screen will pop up wanting to know if you want to create a "save file" on the HDD. If you choose that option it will copy the startup files to the "save file" on your HDD. That will make subsequent bootups very fast, like less than a minute. It also retains your settings so you don't have to reconfigure stuff every time you boot.

Puppy linux isn't SUSE, it is stripped down to the essentials. But it gives you access to a lot of software packages through the Puppy Package Manager. Different web browsers, word prosessors (Abi-word is default), WINE, the windows emulator, multimedia stuff, all easy to install. It couldn't be easier to get linux going.

I recommend it highly.

Old August 12th, 2015 #7
Mike Wilson

I just watched some reviews on windows 10 and just can't see why anyone would waste their time upgrading to it. There's nothing you can do on it that you can't do on win7. Win10 looks smothering, to me. It looks like they are adding more features just for the sake of adding features, but nothing that you need. Plus they still have that same "tiles" crap from windows 8!

Old August 15th, 2015 #8
Mike Wilson

MIcrosoft pays trolls to post on message forums for damage control purposes. I'm pretty good at spotting these posts. for example:

on here: http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ivacy-settings

Quote:
BaldlyGoing lexusperplexus 1d ago

Everybody does it! Microsoft is just the target of the day. Makes a change from Facebook and Google I suppose! On the plus side, my tinfoil hat business is booming!

Thread