VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 19th, 2009 #1
dogman

Default The Legal Situation in Russia

Russia threatens to bar Europeans who deny Red Army 'liberated' them

Eastern Europeans who believe their countries were occupied by the Soviet Union after the Second World War could soon be barred from Russia under new proposals given official weight by the Kremlin.

By Adrian Blomfield in Moscow
Published: 4:29PM BST 19 May 2009

Those found to contravene the new law, which Russia insists is little different from Germany's Holocaust-denial legislation, face up to five years in prison. Photo: AP
Dmitry Medvedev, the Russian president, created a commission of 28 legislators and senior intelligence officers which will identify foreign "revisionists" who "disparage the international prestige of the Russian Federation".

The move, condemned as "Orwellian" by its critics, comes shortly before the Russian parliament is expected to pass controversial legislation outlawing the "rehabilitation of Nazism".

The bill has attracted criticism because of its definition of Nazi rehabilitation, with those who "belittle" the Soviet Union's role in the war or criticise it in any way being regarded as equally culpable as those who glorify Hitler.

Those found to contravene the new law, which Russia insists is little different from Germany's Holocaust-denial legislation, face up to five years in prison.

Foreign countries whose officials who the commission rules to be guilty of the new crimes will face sanction as well. The bill gives Russia the authority to expel ambassadors or sever diplomatic relations with offending nations and to impose full transport and communications blockades on them.

The legislation is thought to be primarily aimed at states like Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, which maintain they were occupied rather than liberated by the Soviet Union. Sergei Shoigu, a senior cabinet minister who initiated the legislation, has already said it could be used to ban senior Estonian officials.

A Russian MP yesterday said that the Baltic states deserved "to suffer punishment" for holding such views.

The new law could also be used to bar Western historians who accuse the Red Army of carrying out atrocities during its advance on Berlin or point out that Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union were once allies under the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact.

Seen as a way of teaching recalcitrant former Soviet states respect, the legislation has won almost universal backing in the Russian parliament.

But opposition politicians, who have no representation in parliament, have attacked the bill, saying it effectively reintroduces state ideology for the first time since the fall of the Soviet Union.

"The creation of this commission allows the state to impose its own idea of political will and ideology," said Vladimir Ryzhkov, a former Duma deputy who was forced out of parliament in 2007 by a law banning independent MPs.

"The former KGB will once again decide what is anti-Soviet and what is not."

Mr Ryzhkov said that the new legislation was also part of a continuing rehabilitation of Stalin as it will effectively outlaw criticism of many of the former Soviet dictator's policies.

An officially sanctioned history text book, introduced into schools two years ago, presented Stalin as a great leader while glossing over his repression of millions of Soviet citizens.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ated-them.html

Old May 19th, 2009 #2
Curtis Stone

Well, they are right it is no different than Holocaust denial laws. State ideology, never heard that term before, could come in handy.

But opposition politicians, who have no representation in parliament, have attacked the bill, saying it effectively reintroduces state ideology for the first time since the fall of the Soviet Union.

"The creation of this commission allows the state to impose its own idea of political will and ideology," said Vladimir Ryzhkov, a former Duma deputy who was forced out of parliament in 2007 by a law banning independent MPs.

In the old days of fair and balanced reporting, they would have gotten two experts, one to explain how it is just like Holocaust Denial laws, and on to explain how it isn't like that. I can explain that Holocaust Denial laws are imposing a state religion of Jew Worship, that is how it is different.

Old May 19th, 2009 #3
psychologicalshock
Banned

The Balts can suck a big one, I've already debunked their garbage claims especially Estonia which turned out lived better in 1980 than before the USSR or now (With their economy at a standstill and just about to collapse). With the way the morons act towards Russians (Which turn out to be their best educated population) I could care less how they are dealt with in Russia. Cry me a river.

Old May 19th, 2009 #4
Myles
Certified non-Kosher™

Interesting, especially considering some of the most ghastly horror stories I've ever read involve the Soviet troops' (fueled by the propaganda of the Jew Ilya Ehrenburg) atrocities against German civilians.

Hell, many (most?) Jews in the camps chose to flee with the Germans instead of facing their Red Army "liberators."

Old May 19th, 2009 #5
psychologicalshock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Interesting, especially considering some of the most ghastly horror stories I've ever read involve the Soviet troops' (fueled by the propaganda of the Jew Ilya Ehrenburg) atrocities against German civilians.
Oh yes the millions of civilians killed and POW's starves had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Hell, many (most?) Jews in the camps chose to flee with the Germans instead of facing their Red Army "liberators."
?
Uh yeah right there was an influx of Jews to the USSR not vice versa.

The only reason Germany wanted to surrender to the USA wasn't because they were nicer but because they hoped for conditional surrender, after the war people in Berlin were starved and 2 million Germans perished in American concentration camps.

Pray tell where did you read all of this?

Old May 19th, 2009 #6
Myles
Certified non-Kosher™

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychologicalshock View Post
Pray tell where did you read all of this?
I don't have the energy to start pulling sources for you. Go to codoh and ask them for citations if you think I'm just sitting here making up stories against the kind, benevolent Red Army.

Old May 19th, 2009 #7
psychologicalshock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
I don't have the energy to start pulling sources for you. Go to codoh and ask them for citations if you think I'm just sitting here making up stories against the kind, benevolent Red Army.
Who said kind? If it had been a man for man reprisal I think there'd be nothing left of East Germany. I don't think anyone at CODOH knows Russian, my guess at least since finding this article was extremely easy:

http://vivovoco.rsl.ru/VV/PAPERS/HIS...ENBURG/GFA.HTM

This was the actual outlook of people during the occupation of Germany , quite obviously not making out Germans to be one large conglomerate of evil as Hitlerites did with "Asiatic Slavs".

Old May 19th, 2009 #8
Myles
Certified non-Kosher™

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychologicalshock View Post
Who said kind? If it had been a man for man reprisal I think there'd be nothing left of East Germany. I don't think anyone at CODOH knows Russian, my guess at least since finding this article was extremely easy:

http://vivovoco.rsl.ru/VV/PAPERS/HIS...ENBURG/GFA.HTM

This was the actual outlook of people during the occupation of Germany , quite obviously not making out Germans to be one large conglomerate of evil as Hitlerites did with "Asiatic Slavs".
I've never agreed with Hitler's views on Slavs. Anyone with even a cursory familiarity of my posting history knows this. I am, for the most part, very pro-Russian.

However, all of this is irrelevant. As I said before, if you think my original contention is a lie, check codoh. They have the documentation.

Old May 20th, 2009 #9
reo
Banned

Today we look upon Russia as a paradise compared to the West, and any Russian is worth a thousand Americans to me. It was different in Hitler's day. Yes it was a big mistake that the Nazis did not make more use of the Slavs.
Still it is hard for us to second guess Hitler . It was amazing he lasted as long as he did considering what he was up against.

Still every White ethnic group deserves it's constructive criticism. Hard to see Germans presiding over a fuck up like Chernobyl.

Old May 24th, 2009 #10
April F.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Today we look upon Russia as a paradise compared to the West, and any Russian is worth a thousand Americans to me. It was different in Hitler's day. Yes it was a big mistake that the Nazis did not make more use of the Slavs.
Still it is hard for us to second guess Hitler . It was amazing he lasted as long as he did considering what he was up against.

Still every White ethnic group deserves it's constructive criticism. Hard to see Germans presiding over a fuck up like Chernobyl.
A bit overtly anti-American I suppose but in other respects fair comment.

Old April 7th, 2014 #11
Alex Linder
Administrator

Russian Lawmakers Approve Bill Making Holocaust Denial Illegal

Deniers To Face $8,300 Fines or 3 Years in Prison

By JTA
Published April 07, 2014.

Russian lawmakers approved a bill that would make Holocaust denial illegal.

The lower house of the Russian Parliament, or Duma, passed the measure Friday on its first reading, the Voice of Russia reported Monday, making it illegal to deny the verdict of the Nuremberg Tribunal and punishing the “rehabilitation of Nazism.”

Those found guilty of the crime could be fined up to $8,300 or imprisoned up to three years. Public officials or media personalities would be fined nearly double or face up to five years in prison.

The bill also needs the approval of the Federation Council, or upper house. It was authored five years ago and resubmitted in February.

“Rehabilitation of Nazism is not only a shot fired at the past and mocking millions of victims,” the head of the Lower House Committee for Security, Irina Yarovaya, a main sponsor of the bill, said in parliament. “It is also a shot fired at the future, an instigation for new crimes against peace and security.”

http://forward.com/articles/196119/r...-holocaust-de/

Old May 16th, 2014 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a law that makes it a crime to justify or deny Nazi war crimes.

The law Putin signed on May 5 introduces punishment of up to five years in prison or a fine of some 500,000 rubles (some $14,000) for anyone found guilty of denying facts established by the Nuremberg trials regarding the crimes of Axis powers.

The law applies to those who show public approval of Nazi crimes, especially if they attempt to spread such claims in the media.

The law also punishes those who knowingly disseminate "false information about the Soviet activities" during World War II.

The signing of the law comes as Russia is drawing comparisons between Ukrainian nationalists and Nazi war crimes and ahead of the May 9 anniversary of the end of World War II.

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-.../25373990.html

Thread