Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 7th, 2006 #1
antiZOG

Default What's Better -.38 Snubby or Small Auto?

If you carry a handgun concealed -what is overall best choice -a snubby revolver, or a small auto -say in .32 or .380 caliber?
I like the flatness and compactness of the small auto myself..what are the advantages, if any of a revolver?

Old July 7th, 2006 #2
John in Woodbridge

I'd go with the .38 snub. Revolvers are inherintly more reliable.

Old July 7th, 2006 #3
Charles
Banned

32s and 380s are women's guns man. I assume that you are not female. Neither of them is really powerful enough. Snub nosed guns are for women also.

Revolvers are less likely to jam, require less maintenance and do not leave empty cases. They have a longer barrel in a gun of the same length. However they have too low capacity and are too slow to reload. If one is left handed one has to change hands to reload them. They are less well-balanced, they 'hang forward' in the hand due to their shape, and they have a heavier trigger pull. With a few exceptions they cannot be effectively silenced. They are bulky. I recommend a 9mm semi-automatic, or if you insist on a revolver then a .357.

Old July 7th, 2006 #4
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
32s and 380s are women's guns man. I assume that you are not female. Neither of them is really powerful enough. Snub nosed guns are for women also.

Revolvers are less likely to jam, require less maintenance and do not leave empty cases. They have a longer barrel in a gun of the same length. However they have too low capacity and are too slow to reload. If one is left handed one has to change hands to reload them. They are less well-balanced, they 'hang forward' in the hand due to their shape, and they have a heavier trigger pull. With a few exceptions they cannot be effectively silenced. They are bulky. I recommend a 9mm semi-automatic, or if you insist on a revolver then a .357.
Listen to people who know what their talking about here-Charles apparently does.

I've carried a concealed weapon for 40 years and here's the low down.

32/380= real waste of time- dangerous trash,38=maybe you'll survive,maybe not.9MM better than 38 but not by much.Wheel gun or auto-Charles already covered that.

My choice is a Glock 45-packs a hit to make sure YOU survive,and enough ammo the make up for any mistakes you might make, if any.Sure it's a bit heavy,but you get use to it soon, and you'll be damn glad you did when the shit hit the fan.

Don't worry unnecessarily about concealment.I carried a Colt 45/1911 for years and years everywhere, and nobody ever noticed anything.

The real secret of carrying a gun is actually knowing how to use it; and practice ,practice ,practice.Shoot it at least once or twice a month or more for a couple of hundred rounds in a variety of distances,lighting and weather.

I've shot it out with more than a few bad guys and live to bury all of them;mainly because of "mussel memory" .I was use to drawing and shooting in seconds, without aiming or thinking,just reaction.Almost all of the gang bangers I had trouble with had all kinds of super guns and bullets and crap but no real knowledge or ability to actually get the job done.

If you carry a gun; you certainly better know damn well how to use it, and use it better than most.

Old July 7th, 2006 #5
False Freedom

My personal choice is for the auto.

Don't take the 9mm bashers too seriously. Contrary to popular (though horribly misinformed) belief, the .45 is NOT some magical round that will produce one shot stops. To be honest, ALL pistol rounds pretty much suck as manstoppers. But if you use modern hollowpoints from one of the brand name companies, you'll be fine, so long as you do your part by practicing regularly so you can place those rounds where they'll count.

Virtually all of the modern hollow point offerings, regardless of 9mm, .40, or .45, expand to just about the same width in the target, and penetrate damn near the same amount. 9mm practice ammo is cheap, meaning more range time for the money, meaning you'll be able to get better with less money if you want to. .40 is nearly half again as expensive as 9mm, and .45 is nearly twice the cost, depending on where you go.

Go to a gun forum and ask this question, as well. www.thefiringline.com and www.thehighroad.com are both great sites.

After doing your homework on this, you should consider going to a range that rents guns and renting whatever you're interested in. Shoot them all, take notes, and just go with whatever feels right. If it doesn't feel right to you, it probably isn't.

At any rate, kudos for deciding to carry concealed. It's more than about 99% of the current crop of neutered White sheep are willing to do to protect themselves.

Old August 18th, 2009 #6
Jack W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

How is a snub nose for a woman? It is for concealment. If you are going to pocket carry (I do realize he did not say pocket carry but pointing that out anyhow), how the hell would you do it without a snub nosed?

I however agree if you are going with revolver go with a .357 magnum.

Old July 4th, 2020 #8
Jimsouth

[QUOTE=Charles;412039]32s and 380s are women's guns man. I assume that you are not female. Neither of them is really powerful enough. Snub nosed guns are for women also.

Revolvers are "always" the most dependable handgun. And SA more dependable than DA
Snub nose, well, my CA Bulldog .44 is not a woman's gun.

Old July 4th, 2020 #9
Jimsouth

I always carried either the CA Bulldog .44 or the Firestar .45. Both are fairly heavy, the Firestar the heaviest ( even with the padded shoulder holster ). I had moved on to my little CA Off Duty .38; but have since began to carry a Ruger .327 magnum. Hits like a .357, and so much lighter. Hey, ya get older ( if you're lucky ), and you want something that's easier to handle. · In 2008 Ruger and Federal introduced the.327 Federal Magnum. This.32-caliber cartridge boasted impressive ballistics that approach.357 Magnum ballistic levels and was intended to be a powerful personal-defense cartridge

Old July 18th, 2020 #10
Ray Allan

This snubby revolver versus small auto debate will probably go on forever, just like the 9mm vs. .45 one. It boils down to personal preference and what works best for the individual.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old July 7th, 2006 #11
Talisman

http://www.bondarms.com/ifirearms.htm

How about a .410 derringer?

They call it a snakeslayer, but I'm sure a double barrelled helping of double ought will work just fine for human snakes.

Old July 7th, 2006 #12
Sean Martin

Those automatics are just to small. I don’t think 45 is the way to go since he is looking for a small easily concealable gun. If you have small hands a good Taurus 38 special with hollow points will give you all the knockdown you need. They are cheap, small, reliable and reasonably accurate. With a concealed gun you are not going to go to a competition shoot and hit targets at 100 yards. Also contrary to science fiction all robbers are not wearing $2,000 worth of Kevlar and can bench-press a Toyota. When the bullets start flying people will scatter. 99% of the time if you use a concealed weapon it will be within 10 feet. I can assure you getting hit with a 38 special hollow point (even the cheap Wal-mart stuff) will turn your attacker the other way. Get a hammerless gun that can handle +P ammunition. Purchase a good home defense load and it will give you the knockdown.

If you do want superior knockdown in a small weapon and have the money go buy a Glock in the 45 gap caliber. These can be purchased in small, medium to large frame. If you have large hands you may want to go with the medium frame. Snag free, easy to conceal and reliable. Sure it may cost you around $500 for a new one but if it saves your life could you put a price on that? Many people pay that much every month to 6 months for health or life insurance.

If you have a Glock you can use if for concealed personal-defense, target practice and home defense.

If you have some extra money get a Glock, if you are on a tight budget get a hammerless Taurus 38 special and a box of self defense loads.

http://www.gunblast.com/Glock37.htm

Last edited by Sean Martin; July 7th, 2006 at 04:01 PM.

Old July 7th, 2006 #13
Shirt

What would be a good small firearm for women to carry? I am sure that the women who read this forum and are interested in self-defense would appreciate some information in this area.

Old July 7th, 2006 #14
T.J. McAllister

In addition to all the previous advice, I'd like to add that you can finder smaller versions of most of the standard service pistols in real calibers (9mm/40S&W/45ACP/357SIG) , and in some cases they are equal in size and lighter than small pistols like the Walther PPK. The SIG Sauer P239 is small and very easy to shoot, and can be found in all of the above, excluding .45. The smaller Glocks are all excellent as well. But remember to get the pistol that fits your hand the best.

Also, I have read that with modern ballistics tecnology, 9mm/40/45 perform almost identically, on testing gelatin at least.

ETA: The Browning Hi-Power is a very shootable pistol that also carries well because of the slim frame and relatively short grip. It's chambered in 9mm and is well worth checking out.

Old July 15th, 2006 #15
Marty Macaluso

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean(doc)martin
Those automatics are just to small. I don’t think 45 is the way to go since he is looking for a small easily concealable gun. If you have small hands a good Taurus 38 special with hollow points will give you all the knockdown you need. They are cheap, small, reliable and reasonably accurate. With a concealed gun you are not going to go to a competition shoot and hit targets at 100 yards. Also contrary to science fiction all robbers are not wearing $2,000 worth of Kevlar and can bench-press a Toyota. When the bullets start flying people will scatter. 99% of the time if you use a concealed weapon it will be within 10 feet. I can assure you getting hit with a 38 special hollow point (even the cheap Wal-mart stuff) will turn your attacker the other way. Get a hammerless gun that can handle +P ammunition. Purchase a good home defense load and it will give you the knockdown.

If you do want superior knockdown in a small weapon and have the money go buy a Glock in the 45 gap caliber. These can be purchased in small, medium to large frame. If you have large hands you may want to go with the medium frame. Snag free, easy to conceal and reliable. Sure it may cost you around $500 for a new one but if it saves your life could you put a price on that? Many people pay that much every month to 6 months for health or life insurance.

If you have a Glock you can use if for concealed personal-defense, target practice and home defense.

If you have some extra money get a Glock, if you are on a tight budget get a hammerless Taurus 38 special and a box of self defense loads.

http://www.gunblast.com/Glock37.htm
I was with my brother today when he traded in his glock 40 for a hamerless ruger 357 sunbbed nose, he was torn between the Taurus and Ruger 357. The Ruger is an awesome gun and very conceable, the reason my brother made the trade is because the glock 40 is too bulky and hard to conceal in the summer, but he did have good words to say about the glock 40. The Ruger was selling in the high 400 range the Taurus was in the lower 400, if things go right in the next few weeks I think I might get the Taurus, does that seem like a reasonable price for it?

Old July 15th, 2006 #16
Sean Martin

If I bought a Taurus I would shoot as many rounds as I could afford though it and that way if something was going to break it would be at the range and I could get the problem fixed before it mattered. Get it fixed for free on the range then had a guaranteed reliable gun when it counts.

I was in a gun store this week and they had a Taurus Stainless 41 magnum for $369 snub nose, and a Taurus 38 (5 shot) snub nose revolver blued steel for $199. They had a 44 special snub nose stainless and 5 shot for $399. All of these were good deals, that should give you an idea.

For some reason 357 caliber is more expensive. In Ashland they said a medium frame Glock in the 40 caliber will run $500 out the door new. Glocks are rare trade ins around here. You are lucky to see a used Glock once a year and then they are $475 or more. So far in 2006 I have seen one used Glock in the desert camo, it was the compact size and it was $475. No one around here trades them in. They trade S&W’s all the time though. I saw two S&W medium frame stainless 9mm’s 15 round for $325 each today. I probably could have gotten them both for $600 plus tax but didn’t have the money or need for them.

I like Taurus and they have an excellent lifetime warranty. Even if you buy the gun used they will replace a part if it is a factory defect.

Depending on location, here S&W is king and so is Ruger. However no one likes a Taurus so the used ones are usually cheap. Ruger is a good gun and I have no complaints about how well they function, but in my opinion they cost to much. You can find an S&W or a Taurus that is identical to whichever Ruger for about 20-30% less.

The Ruger has a nice 22 target pistols, however the Browning version of it is superior and about half the price. That is the way with most Ruger guns. The only Ruger guns you get the best value for the money (again in my opinion) is the Redhawk or the blackhawk. I haven’t seen anyone match them for quality and price combined.

This is just me, but if I were to purchase a ruger those would be the only two guns I would purchase.

Taurus on the other hand produces fine weapons for fair prices and I have never know of anyone that has owned one that has had anything but praise for both the quality and price.

That is the rundown on used and new gun prices in Ashland. Don’t even ask about Princeton, I wouldn’t finance my house to buy a gun there. The last gun store I visited didn’t have anything under $400 and nothing I would pay over $150 for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grocer
I was with my brother today when he traded in his glock 40 for a hamerless ruger 357 sunbbed nose, he was torn between the Taurus and Ruger 357. The Ruger is an awesome gun and very conceable, the reason my brother made the trade is because the glock 40 is too bulky and hard to conceal in the summer, but he did have good words to say about the glock 40.

The Ruger was selling in the high 400 range the Taurus was in the lower 400, if things go right in the next few weeks I think I might get the Taurus, does that seem like a reasonable price for it?

Last edited by Sean Martin; July 15th, 2006 at 02:26 AM.

Old July 15th, 2006 #17
Charles
Banned

I think that gun battles use a lot of rounds. Also shotgun shells lack accuracy, range, penetration and power at distance. Snub nosed pistols also lack accuracy and power.

Old July 15th, 2006 #18
JoeSixPack
Opponent of Semitism

I'm going to do something I don't usually do and agree with Doc Martin.

The Phoenix Arms Raven .25 is a very reliable pistol. I own one and it has shot every round I put into it without fail, both FMJ and HP. I paid $55 for mine, which is probably too much, but I don't regret it.

That said, I would NEVER depend upon my Raven as a primary weapon. I carry it ONLY as a last ditch backup to my primary firearm, which is usaully a Glock 26 9mm or S&W 99 .40cal. The .25 round is too weak.

Old July 8th, 2006 #19
SlagMaster

Quote:
what are the advantages, if any of a revolver?
If you have a misfire with a revolver just pull the triger again;
with an auto you will have to eject the defect round by hand.

Old July 8th, 2006 #20
Hate Dept.
Banned

Default snubby vs. small auto

It depends upon your proficiency with semi-autos. If you're not that familiar with them you might want to get a .38, because if you have an auto and get a stovepipe or failure to feed or something and you don't know the drill, you're in trouble. It takes some work to become proficient with semi-autos on your own.

There are some good loads in .38, like Glasers which are very effective. The old 158-grain semi-wadcutter hollowpoint in +P is good, or some of those wazoo +P hollow points--can't remember which.

I don't think I'd want to risk it with just five or six rounds though.

There used to be a 2-inch in .44 cal that Charter Arms made. I'm sure Son of Sparta remembers.

Yeah, if anyone has a .32, make sure you use regular hard ball, because at least they'll penetrate. This has been studied before. .32 hollow points don't penetrate for shit. If I had to defend myself with a .32 I'd empty the clip.

Anyway, there are plenty of good little 9mm autos now.

Thread