VNN Broadcasts

Old March 14th, 2012 #1
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Default A Jewess' advice to Goyim Feminists

Quote:
Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph
The widespread acknowledged use of the poem in America started in the 1980's. Elizabeth Lucas was first granted exclusive publishing rights to the copyrighted poem "When I Am An Old Woman" for greeting cards in 1984. Then Liz Carpenter, who had been Lady Bird Johnson's press officer, wrote an article for the "Texas Monthly" in March 1985. It was picked up by the Reader's Digest and they acknowledged the author Jenny Joseph. From there its fame increased rapidly. Since those early years, the Elizabeth Lucas Designs "When I Am An Old Woman" product line has expanded to include prints, tee shirts, sweat shirts, purple tote bags, framed quotations, plaques, magnets, decorative boxed note cards, snack trays and other gift products all featuring the entire poem. Well over two million copies of Elizabeth's original Large Gift Card have been sold.

On one of Jenny Joseph's trips to California to meet with Elizabeth Lucas, she was also invited to take part in Long Beach's Literary Women's Day and Jenny was honored for her poem as well as for being the first writer from abroad. On that occasion she met Sandra Martz, who contacted Jenny about using "Warning" as the front poem, its first line the title, of an anthology on aging. Publishing of this anthology caused an additional interest in Lucas's extremely popular cards helping "Warning" gain an ever-increasing number of fans. Over the years, interest in the poem has spread throughout the United States and the world.

Many women's groups have been formed based on the theme of the poem. Over the years ladies have visited Elizabeth Lucas Designs dressed up in purple with red hats. Elizabeth has had special events at her office during the last twenty years, including signings by Jenny Joseph. Lots of women have sent her photos of their groups wearing purple. Some have even put on plays about the poem and others have written related poetry or stories about getting older

Thread