VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 9th, 2005 #81
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder
I appreciate someone's defining Tagliabue as ox-cutter,
useful information.
Sure thing. However in the Italian language it would be switched round - rather than the ox being cut it would be the ox doing the cutting. Probably in this usage it would mean 'cutting' soil or plowing. So a 'tagliabue' would be an ox used for pulling a plow. I'm not sure that's exactly correct, my Italian is a bit rusty but definitely the 'taglia' or cutting action is describing an action OF and BY the ox rather than what is happening TO the ox. Active v. passive.

Old January 9th, 2005 #82
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King
Sure thing. However in the Italian language it would be switched round - rather than the ox being cut it would be the ox doing the cutting. Probably in this usage it would mean 'cutting' soil or plowing. So a 'tagliabue' would be an ox used for pulling a plow. I'm not sure that's exactly correct, my Italian is a bit rusty but definitely the 'taglia' or cutting action is describing an action OF and BY the ox rather than what is happening TO the ox. Active v. passive.
Good. I assumed it was the equivalent of butcher. It doesn't sound like a name a jew would be likely to have, unless expressly adopted for that reason.

Thread